Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Budget 5.3 Fox swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Budget 5.3 Fox swap

Figured since I'm this far deep into this combo now I'll go ahead and throw up a build thread, mainly because I like to get ideas from you guys and ask a couple questions along the way.

Combo is the same as everyone else:
-Bone stock 120k mile 5.3 I picked up locally
-Tremec 3550 w/ RM6037 bellhousing
-Team Z suspension
-Holley HP EFI

Found this motor locally through a friend that actually had this motor in his car when I first called him, running. He had a journal bearing 7675 on it running 4lb's and I believe it trapped 130mph in a T/A with a good auto. Motor is bone stock down to the cam and the 862's.

Couple pics of the car:

Got the Team Z k member and mounts in a week or two ago and started test fitting everything. My motor kind of has two sets of mounting holes for the mounts but I think it can only work one way. These are the holes I used:

Motor bolted into car:

I was hoping to get by using the stock truck pan, but I now see why you can't use it. Car doesn't have a trans yet so the front end will come down at least another inch and you can already see how low the pan sits. Pics are taken with my iPhone sitting straight up, flat on the floor:

The stock truck manifolds are not going to work. I'm running a Flaming River manual rack with a FR steering shaft and the shaft goes right through where the header would be if mounted to the head. I'll probably try and find some 351w headers and have LS flanges welded on.

That's about it for now. I still need to test fit the stock truck intake manifold which I fully intend on using. Goal for the car right now is to just keep it simple and get it going as a fun little street car this year that my boy and I can cruise around in. More to come.

Last edited by jfisher; 12-27-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks great!! I got some 302 headers and had the flanges swapped... <--- Now I know why people go with the 351 swap headers. It hits the stearing shaft right when it comes out of the firewall and tucks too close to the floorboards. =( Keep it up looking good.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Capown
Looks great!! I got some 302 headers and had the flanges swapped... <--- Now I know why people go with the 351 swap headers. It hits the stearing shaft right when it comes out of the firewall and tucks too close to the floorboards. =( Keep it up looking good.
Good to know! Do you have shorties or longtubes?
Old 12-27-2012, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recognize the car, but didn't realize you were doing a LS swap. Are you on Corral? Same name?
Old 12-27-2012, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TxFireman1972
I recognize the car, but didn't realize you were doing a LS swap. Are you on Corral? Same name?
Pretty sure I'm 5.0calypso over there, can't remember. Cars had a lot of unfinished combo's. Time to settle on one and what better way to do that by keeping it low budget and simple.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok, now I know who you are lol. You were doing the On3 setup. I actually had talked to you about your Glenn's tank you had. I'm same name over there, although I don't get on there much anymore. Sold all my 302 and Vortech stuff and made the LS move myself.

Glad you started a build thread. I'm going to follow it for sure. I bought all Team-Z stuff as well. I was planning on on just running the truck pan and trying it out. Be curious to see how it works out on yours.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TxFireman1972
ok, now I know who you are lol. You were doing the On3 setup. I actually had talked to you about your Glenn's tank you had. I'm same name over there, although I don't get on there much anymore. Sold all my 302 and Vortech stuff and made the LS move myself.

Glad you started a build thread. I'm going to follow it for sure. I bought all Team-Z stuff as well. I was planning on on just running the truck pan and trying it out. Be curious to see how it works out on yours.
Yea, ran into some PTV clearance issues on my TW FAC 170 heads and got really discouraged with that setup.

I actually still have the Glenn's tank and am going to do their single pump 600hp fuel system for this build in anticipation for bigger things. I think Eddy makes aftermarket fuel rails that will work with this truck intake for now and then I can switch to their other brackets if I want to use their Pro Flo XT intake.

I've still got a few SBF things I'm trying to move so I can order a few more parts for this build.

I've had 4 different Team Z k members in this car, all of which fit flawlessly. All the rear suspension is Dave's too. I refuse to use anyone else because of Dave's customer service and actual first hand experience with some good hooking cars.

Truck pan has zero chance of working for me though. No clearance issues with anything, just flat out hangs WAY too low. The car still needs to come down another inch at least for my liking and you can see how far down the pan already sits. I'd be lucky to make one trip up a driveway. Probably just try and find a f body pan setup on the cheap.

Last edited by jfisher; 12-27-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't know if it will work for you but I used the Muscle Car swap pan in my Thunderbird without issue. I realize they are two different chassis types, but depending on how low the truck pan hangs, this may work for very little green. Best of all it was only $150 from the GMPP dealer locally and came with everything.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
I don't know if it will work for you but I used the Muscle Car swap pan in my Thunderbird without issue. I realize they are two different chassis types, but depending on how low the truck pan hangs, this may work for very little green. Best of all it was only $150 from the GMPP dealer locally and came with everything.

This one?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Perf...ductId=1221210

Here is the same pan on another members car (MustangLS)

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...50-swap-9.html

Old 12-27-2012, 07:36 PM
Teching In

I am using the stock truck pan on my 93 coupe mustang with a team z k member. I drive the car to the strip and have had no problems. By the way, A stock F body pan WILL NOT work with the team z k member, you will have to go with the expensive aftermarket pan to get the pan above the k member. The hot rod pan will give a little more clearance than the truck,but not much.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Launching!

i run a UPR 4.6 K member, solid motor mounts and UPR LSX adapter plates with a CTS-V oil pan..test fit everything and it fits like a glove
Old 12-28-2012, 07:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're looking for a cheap exhaust setup than grab a set of 2010 & up camaro manifolds. They fit perfectly, even with the heat shields.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by willys_truck
I am using the stock truck pan on my 93 coupe mustang with a team z k member. I drive the car to the strip and have had no problems. By the way, A stock F body pan WILL NOT work with the team z k member, you will have to go with the expensive aftermarket pan to get the pan above the k member. The hot rod pan will give a little more clearance than the truck,but not much.
How low is your car? I just don't see how it will physically work without dragging on the ground.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by boostnut
If you're looking for a cheap exhaust setup than grab a set of 2010 & up camaro manifolds. They fit perfectly, even with the heat shields.
Have any pics by chance? A local shop specializes in new Camaro stuff and I know they have several sets laying around.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:02 AM
On The Tree

I'm digging the wheels man,what rear tire is that?..I'm also building a hatch...I went with aje cross with f body pan,it has more then enough clearance!..
Old 01-05-2013, 08:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jfisher
Have any pics by chance? A local shop specializes in new Camaro stuff and I know they have several sets laying around.
See post #10 here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-fox-swap.html
Old 01-05-2013, 08:45 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks, they're 275 MT radials.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:10 AM
Teching In

What pan are you going with?
Old 01-06-2013, 09:51 AM
Staging Lane

Not sure on that quite yet.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

At this point I'm thinking either CTS-V or having this one modified. Don't gain enough clearance using the GM hot rod pan. Car is just so damn low. Probably just be cheapest to have Rob modify this pan. The CTS-V pan is only $134, but I'm not sure what other parts are needed to swap to that pan. Might make it non-cost effective.

Quick Reply: Another Budget 5.3 Fox swap