Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forward Gear signal for manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Forward Gear signal for manual transmission

Anyone know how the ECM (2005 E40 SSR) gets an input to know its in a forward gear (versus R/N). I'm trying to get my cruise control working and the Tech 2 indicated it was not in a forward gear when I try to activate the cruise.
I'm running an aftermarket trans. (TKO-600), VSS is hooked up to trans.

The ECM was flashed to a 2005 SSR/manual trans. Originally a 2005 Corvette LS2 Automatic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

How did the Tech2 indicate that it was not in a forward gear? As far as I know, the SSR should only rely on the brake input switch and the clutch position switch. Do you have these hooked up?
Old 12-29-2012, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

I'll have to ask the guy that scanned it while I was driving to get exact verbage.
I do have Brake and Clutch inputs connected. Only thing that I've never hooked up is the output from the ECM to the speedometer (I believe a green w/white wire) due to using the mechanical output from the TKO to drive my original speedometer. Could this potentially keep the cruise from working?

I do have correct speed indications from the ECM (using HPTuners to scan while driving).
Old 12-29-2012, 03:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Not having the speedo wire hooked up won't affect anything, so that's not your problem. Since you are showing the correct speed in HPTuners, then we will assume you have the correct speed sensor, It is reading at least close to actual speed, correct? Also, this is DBW, right? There's only a few wires that need to be hooked up for it to work, but you need the correct switch. Are you using a factory switch or aftermarket? Aftermarket switches are generally normally closed switches, where as GM are normally open. To use an aftermarket switch you need to wire in relays to reverse the function of the switches. Also, you need to have brake lights hooked up to make the cruise function, the TAC module needs to see a ground through the brake light circuit, so if you're running LED brake lights, they don't have enough resistance for it to work.
Attached Thumbnails Forward Gear signal for manual transmission-cruise-control-dbw.gif  
Old 01-01-2013, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

I am running LEDs, but I have a regular bulb tied into the system for additional resistance, (mounted in the trunk).
I'm using an aftermarket switch with a combination of relays to make it a normally open switch.
Speed indication in HP Tuners is correct.

Wired as follows:
C1-17: Cruise ON/Off (Normally Open, {closed ON})
C1-27: Set/Coast (Normally Open) {Momentary Switch}
C1-32: Brake Switch (Normally Open)
C1-33: Resume/Accel (Normally Open)
C1-43: Clutch Pedal Position Switch
C1-46: TCC Brake Switch/Cruise Release (Normally Closed)
C1-51: Clutch Start Switch (don't think this is necessary, but tried it) (Normally Open--12v when pedal fully depressed)

Forward Gear signal for manual transmission-cppswitch.gif

Forward Gear signal for manual transmission-startup.gif

Forward Gear signal for manual transmission-cruise-control-diagram.gif
Old 01-02-2013, 02:30 AM
TECH Veteran

C1- 43, you didn't state whether its a normally open or closed switch. Should be normally open.
Also you say you have a regular bulb in the trunk for resistance, do you have one per side? If not, you might need it. Originally its tied to the 3rd brake light. If you put the light before the turn signal switch you can get away with only one.
does HPTuners have cruise data in it? I know my TechII will show when the cruise switch is on, and when any of the buttons are pressed. Be worth checking. Also it should say if the brakes are applied. If it doesn't... at least check for power at the switch. I checked my schematics and it doesn't appear there should be any reason it wouldn't work provided your relays are wired up right and working (getting power).
Old 01-02-2013, 06:22 AM
On The Tree

C1-43, If it's normally open, does that mean it's closed when the pedal is released. Think I have tried it both ways, but I'm getting ready to go through the entire wiring again.

Do you know if the C1-51 is required? Looks like its tied to the start relay, and the way I have the car wired, I don't need it.

Doesn't appear HPTuners has cruise data and I don't readily has access to a Tech II.

Last edited by usc2001gc; 01-02-2013 at 06:32 AM. Reason: additional info.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

See post 14, might help.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...rness-ftw.html
Old 01-02-2013, 08:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by garys 68
Basically what I'm doing. My understanding is that the Trailblazer and SSR are basically the same setup. The SSR and Trailblazer use the same pedal assembly.

Some reason having problems getting it to work. My harness and ECM are out of an '05 vette, but were reflashed and reconfigured to the '05 SSR.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

Got it working. C1-43 was wired incorrectly. Should have power until pedal is depressed. I had it wired the opposite.

Can't believe I finally got this working. I've been tinkering with the cruise on and off for the past two years!! thought I had tried just about everything.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by usc2001gc
Got it working. C1-43 was wired incorrectly. Should have power until pedal is depressed. I had it wired the opposite.

Can't believe I finally got this working. I've been tinkering with the cruise on and off for the past two years!! thought I had tried just about everything.
I just picked up an LS2/T56 dropout from a 2006 GTO. If I understand correctly, the '06 GTO uses the BCM for cruise control. But the GTO's E40 PCM is capable of operating cruise control if it's flashed to an SSR tune?

If that's the case, can I still use the GTO pedal I got with the dropout? Or would I need an SSR pedal?

Tipsy

Quick Reply: Forward Gear signal for manual transmission