Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutting truck oil pans?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 06:03 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cutting truck oil pans?

I have a 67 lemans doing a ls swap, and know of a couple kits use the truck pan. But the pan is about a inch bellow the cross member. I was wondering if anyone has cut out and re-welded the pan to shorten it up a bit.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do a search of the site, it has been done before. Most will tell you to save up and buy the right pan. I believe you will be happier in the long run. Take a look at the stickies for ideas.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it only hangs an inch and your not going to lower it much. Weld a metal brace made out of THICK steel like angle iron or round tubing beneath your Xmember. Just make sure it hangs lower than your oil pan, not a lot but just enough. It will hit that piece first if you were to ever hit anything. This can take all the abuse all day long. It's what I may do on one of my cars. True budget right there for truck oil pan hanging issue
Old 12-29-2012, 09:02 AM
Launching!

I cut mine down about 1" in front and ~1.5" in the rear to basically make it flat on the bottom. The biggest thing is getting it clean.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i have a CTS-V pan, it hangs about one inch below the Xmember. I now have to swap it out cause i bottomed out and cracked the pan...... IMO...buy or get one that doesnt hang below the Xmember...
Old 12-29-2012, 10:37 AM
Teching In

Basically what 74modified said. I sectioned mine approx 1,1/2 inch thus retaining the drain plug to make it level with my x-member. I lost a quart of oil so now I have a 5 quart system which is fine. Cut the oil pickup tube and modify that to fit and for sure make sure its super clean before welding.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Teching In

Sorry, forgot to mention my swap is a 1990 gmc pickup with a 4-6 drop. You definitely dont want that pan hanging lower than the x-member!!! Good luck.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:19 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my car (well aware) of the oil pan being too low. I gambled and won driving it 2 years (only 2000 miles) before I swapped it. It had the H3 pan....and I swapped it out with a modified f body pan. Because of the placement of the engine mounts, I could not use the f body pan. I could have moved things back a bit, but that would have opened a can of worms I did not want to do. I had it modified by street and performance in Arkansas. Very happy with the results.

Before swap

Here is pic of a pan done at S&P

I don't have a pic of mine installed....but it is flush or above crossmember.

S&P also lengthened the pickup tube as well. They do a couple of different mods to oil pans...you may want to give them a call, they may have a solution for your project. If you can't find their contact info, PM me.

Leon

Quick Reply: Cutting truck oil pans?