Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget 96 Camaro V6- 5.3 Truck LM7. build questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Budget 96 Camaro V6- 5.3 Truck LM7. build questions

Ive been lurking around for a while. My s10 5.3 swap project got my brother thinking. He bought a 1996 Camaro, in great shape with a blown 3.8 engine for $500. Then bought a 2001 Suburban crash job for 800 bucks. So our goal is to pull the 5.3 lm7, and 4l60e out of the truck, and go through it, beef it up and put it into the Camaro. Before you guys say just go buy an LS1 Fbody it will be cheaper, I dont want to hear it. Already got the Roller, and the engine and 2 trans. I am a GM tech heavy engine, fair share of LS engines, and 4l60e. Get parts at cost, through gm anyways. 15 years experience. So here is what we have so far and what we are planning.

1996 Camaro, no engine and 3.8 trans. $500
2001 Suburban 5.3 engine, 4l60e trans $800

We just ordered a 2002 ws6 kmember- $150

Looks like the truck intake wont work, so we will need to locate a stock LS1 intake and fuel rails, and fabricate the fuel system. (vette filter, custom lines etc.)
Will need better fuel pump
Really going budget here, dont want to buy corvette or fbody ls1 accessories.
Anyone have experience with the $250 relocation bracket from dirty dingo?
http://dirtydingo.com/store/product_...=1394&CDpath=8

I am going to rebuild the 60e, and convert it to 2wd, get quality parts, should be able to handle 400 horsepower easy.

Going to reuse the stock truck harness and pcm, repin, merge with 3.8 harness. tune with hptuners.

Mild street build with cam probably tsp 228r, 2500 stall, 1 3/4 longtubes, ls7 lifters.

Going to mock up the engine first to see how much clearance we need to determine if ls1 rack and shaft is needed, if it is we will get it, if it will clar with that bracketry, we will see how it works without it.

Oil pan- appears the truck pan will fit but probably hang a little low. Might have to pony up for an fbody pan or something with more clearance.

Searched hard, and found some custom swaps here. Some stock ls1 swaps. But no truck motor swaps. So not sure what to expect. Clearance is only thing im worried about.

Quick Reply: Budget 96 Camaro V6- 5.3 Truck LM7. build questions