Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lq4 t56 rx7 swap -wiring

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 01:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lq4 t56 rx7 swap -wiring

Im new to LS1TECH and this is my first thread;

I am currently in the middle of my rx7 v8 project. This is my first swap and build all of my own. I have experience with gen-1 sbc and toyota's but have never dealt with much wiring.

The car is a 86' rx7. I already have suspension, brakes, lsd, cage, racing seats, ect up to par.

For a motor i choose a lq4 from a silverado, and am still searching for a t56 i can pick up without spending the ridiculous amount many ppl want.

..Anyways what i need help/ advice on is the wiring.. Should i try tracing and splicing wires from the mazda to the lq4? run the truck pcm/ecu?
Or should i go with something like megasquirt? I think companies like msd and painless performance offer wiring for swaps into classic chevy trucks and muscle cars, i am not sure if that would work.

Ive been scratching my head for a while now, any direction and advice would be very helpful ..im a little intimidated at this point.

Thanks!
Old 12-31-2012, 02:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cheapest way is to get the factory harness for your engine and set it up to be stand-alone by yourself however if you are intimidated by wiring then I suggest just buying a stand alone harness.

If you are building a race car then I would scrap the stock wiring and put in a simple race car type harness. If you are planning on making it a street car then just leave your stock wiring in place. The engine harness only needs connection to your electric fan, fuel pump, ignition switch for the starter, and of course battery and ground.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally when i did a swap i ordered a standalone harness from PSI Conversions who is a sponsor here. Best decision that I made during the entire swap it was the easiest part of the build. If you idea is to be a budget friendly as possible you can get schematics and rework a stock truck harness though. The info is out there.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input. The car definitely wont be a daily but i do want to drive it now and then. Ill mostly be using it for autocross/ drag/ drift events.

As far as cost im not worried about going the cheapest route but dont want to spend more than i really need to. Im intimidated by wiring but I want to learn so i dont mind a challenge.

When i bought the lq4 i did not get the wiring harness, so that would be another incentive to go with a stand alone..
Old 12-31-2012, 06:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not super hard to mod your own harness, there is lots of info out there. You have to be VERY careful on what you use as far as that information, some of it out there will work but is far from the right way to do it.

Bear in mind if you use a factory harness that you are stuck to the way it was routed and the lengths of the connectors, unless you put yourself through an enormous amount of work to lengthen everything.

There are three sponsors on here that support the forum and specialize in harnessing. Myself, PSI, and Speartech.

I offer three different tiers of harnesses. I like to give my customer options instead of only producing one style of harness.

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 01-01-2013, 08:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are using an LQ4 the first question you want to ask yourself is what intake are you running (to define the injector style) and are you using drive by cable or wire. Once that is decided you can focus on what harness you can start with (whether you are reworking or buying new) and what PCM to use. FYI, if you decide to go new, we have ALL applications in stock. Hope that helps.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'

Quick Reply: lq4 t56 rx7 swap -wiring