Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Intake Fits???

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 12:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Intake Fits???

I'm sure this question is answered somewhere on this forum but I can't seem to find it, I'm about to start my first conversion on my brother's 87 Monte and we picked up a 6.0 out of an Escalade with about 60k on it. It has Aluminum heads on it and is drive by wire.

My question is what intake can we use for hood clearance? We are trying to re-use as many of the OE parts as possible to stay within our budget, Will an LS1 work? Can we bolt on the exsisting throttle body to it? LS6? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

LS1 or 6 intake will work. TB will bolt to it as well, but you may have water pump interference problems and alternator bracket will need to be modified.
If it's flex fuel, youo can reuse the injectors as is. You will need aftermarket modified rails. If they're standard truck injectors, you can use those too, just remove the plastic tip.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:41 PM
TECH Regular

Do a test fit. Many here say they can get the stock truck intake to work with a stock G-body hood so do some research as well. Some say a little cutting of the hood structure is needed, almost all say that the vanity cover needs to be trashed. I had a 3" fiberglass cowl hood on the car already. I'm running stock truck intake and using the vanity cover as well. The type of mounts and adapters you use might determine if you can keep the stock hood. If you already have mounts and adapters and don't want to buy any new stuff just do a test fit and see how the engine sits with your combo.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

The ls1 ls6 intakes will fit if its a lq4 or lq9 but if its newer engine out of escalade it could be an l92 l76 ls3 style intake port then the ls1, ls6 vertion will not fit.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:12 PM
Teching In

Well thank you for the replies! I have been thinking about trying it out with the truck intake, I know people think they're ugly and I'm one of them but right now we just want to get it running, I've look at a few builds and seems there are always more than one way to skin a cat! I just ordered the oil pan and mount kit from BRP so we'll try and have it going next month.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ramiro6687
Well thank you for the replies! I have been thinking about trying it out with the truck intake, I know people think they're ugly and I'm one of them but right now we just want to get it running, I've look at a few builds and seems there are always more than one way to skin a cat! I just ordered the oil pan and mount kit from BRP so we'll try and have it going next month.
If you just want to get it going or on a budget, use the truck intake. I am doing a conversion right now and I can tell you that you will need to swap the waterpump, cut the alternator bracket, relocate the idler pulley, modify or change the coolant crossover, etc to use an ls1/ls2/ls6 intake. Not hard, but definitely more cost and time involved.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ramiro6687
I just ordered the oil pan and mount kit from BRP so we'll try and have it going next month.
BRP is one of the tallest mount designs unless they have redesigned them in the last couple years. Chances are that with the BRP mounts you'll need a new intake, or hood. Still worth a test fit but just a word of warning.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by spacemanspif
BRP is one of the tallest mount designs unless they have redesigned them in the last couple years. Chances are that with the BRP mounts you'll need a new intake, or hood. Still worth a test fit but just a word of warning.
well that sucks! I have a few of these to do so I figure it will be a learning process. Thanks.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Any idea on who would have a lower profile mount? Ultimately we will go with an F body or Corvette intake and would rather not spend the money twice, do you have any experience with the Dirty Dingo re-locating brackets?
Old 12-31-2012, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if your going to swap the manifold try and pick one up with the injectors and rails the standard truck injectors are different all so the injector harness plugs are different truck uses a Bosch plug and ls1/ls6 use ev1/ev3 so the plugs will have to be changed on the harness. its the small things that cant be over looked i did this swap on my engine and had to learn piece by piece what really works and what wont. there are a few guys i have seen run the water pump with the DBW throttle body with a lil neck modifications
Old 01-01-2013, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

There are two truck pumps. The 07 up pump will work with the car intakes but its close. The old style pump that you have will not clear
Old 01-01-2013, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info, I'm leaning towards getting an LS1/LS6 intake and going from there.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:04 PM
11 Second Club

WAIT......LOL....81 malibu

Stock truck intake

Stock oil pan...

I just had to make an alternator bracket. But ive seen pictures of the stock one fitting with your longer hood.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:55 AM
Staging Lane

From what I've read here and other sites people using the truck accesories have to cut a hole in the bracing to clear the alternator. I havent personally done this just what I've read
Old 01-02-2013, 07:10 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RenoReno2
From what I've read here and other sites people using the truck accesories have to cut a hole in the bracing to clear the alternator. I havent personally done this just what I've read
I dont know about that..my truck bracket wasnt even close. So i made a new one.

I also went with a manual steering box so i didnt have to worry about that bs either.

Quick Reply: What Intake Fits???