Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where can i find T56? without spending an arm and leg!

Old 12-31-2012, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where can i find T56? without spending an arm and leg!

Ive been waiting to buy a T56 for 8 months or so. Im waiting to find a good deal.. 1200 or less for the tranny bell housing ect. For a swap with an lq4.

I check ebay, craigslist in my area and state (spokane, Washington), and carpart.

Im wondering if anyone knows of any sites or businesses that offer them for a reasonable price.

BTW i need an LS1 style T56.

Thank you!
Old 12-31-2012, 07:01 PM
Launching!

you can try car-part.com
Old 12-31-2012, 07:02 PM
12 Second Club

Ebay is your best bet unless one pops up on cl,sucks cause I sold mine for that a month ago
Old 12-31-2012, 07:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This is probably the best site to find'em,you have to act quick and find a seller willing to ship.Sadly there are no good sources for LS engines and T56's in this corner of the continent,anyone around here thinks they are made of gold and price them accordingly.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:08 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im debating on selling my whole t56 setup out of my ss,if ya had a th400 swap that would be perfect lol,still in the debate of swapin it though,check cleveland pick a part,they deal big in f bodys,vettes,gtos,ettc
Old 12-31-2012, 11:18 PM
Launching!

I got tired of looking for one and the $$ they wanted for one around here... But i did find one at my local salvage yard....
Car it came out of:

pics of when i pulled it, the clutch still had "Luk" on it!

scrubbed the crap of of it! looks like a low milage unit! cleaned up nice!

all for a grand total of 205 bucks!! I had some reservervations on pulling it as the car was burned to a crisp front to back!! Pretty much just the trans and diff survived! I figured i have "thrown" away more then that so why not??
Old 12-31-2012, 11:21 PM
12 Second Club

Damn thats a steal
Old 12-31-2012, 11:29 PM
Launching!

I know!! And at the same salvage yard bout 2-3 years ago picked up a 8.5 Posi GN rearend WITH Hotchkis rear upper and lower boxed control arms with braces for $160!! they are under my Grand Prix now I guess what i'm trying to say is get out there and hunt for the parts needed!! I had faith and though it took a while i got the parts i "needed"
Old 01-01-2013, 04:18 PM

Nice find on the burnt T56!

Here in spokane the yards are pull-and-save and spaldings. Pick-and-pull is where i can go, search and pull parts my self. The problem is anything newer or valuable (high desire) is sent to spaldings where they pull the parts. And they usually try selling the transmission and engine together for anything ls/ lsx. They want around $5500.

The only thing i can do is be patient and hope one sneaks into pull-and-save
Old 01-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Teching In

Hell if they sold you the trans that cheap you had better pull the LS1 to!!!!!!
Old 01-01-2013, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Lucky or what!What did you use to clean it,I always struggle getting that baked on oily clutch dust off those things.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BurningRubber__
Nice find on the burnt T56!

Here in spokane the yards are pull-and-save and spaldings. Pick-and-pull is where i can go, search and pull parts my self. The problem is anything newer or valuable (high desire) is sent to spaldings where they pull the parts. And they usually try selling the transmission and engine together for anything ls/ lsx. They want around $5500.

The only thing i can do is be patient and hope one sneaks into pull-and-save
damn! thats a grip of moolah for my broke ***! i did think about pulling the engine as well and stripping it down to a long block but the yard was closing in an hour.. Highly doubt it's there still gonna swing by this weekend and see who know?... i used some purple power degreaser solution, sprayed it down and scrubbed it with a 3m maroon pad and pressure washed it after.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:05 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 85GPLEf41
I got tired of looking for one and the $$ they wanted for one around here... But i did find one at my local salvage yard....
Car it came out of:

pics of when i pulled it, the clutch still had "Luk" on it!

scrubbed the crap of of it! looks like a low milage unit! cleaned up nice!

all for a grand total of 205 bucks!! I had some reservervations on pulling it as the car was burned to a crisp front to back!! Pretty much just the trans and diff survived! I figured i have "thrown" away more then that so why not??

Nice score and good work cleaning it up!
Old 01-02-2013, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

They’re tough to find, period. I was searching for one actively for 4 months and made the following conclusions:

Craigslist has them, but they’re almost always overpriced, and more often than not you’ll have LT1 T56s pop up instead of LS1 style.

Ebay has them (usually in full dropouts) and they’re almost always at least $4000-$5000 or more.

Believe it or not LS1Tech is actually a great resource for finding them. I had a few deals set up for T56s for about $1600 or so, not including shipping, but I held out for a better deal.

I eventually found an LS1 T56 3 hours away from me for $900 picked up, and it included bellhousing, trans, and slave cylinder. I don’t know whether or not the trans needs a rebuild, I am assuming it will.

Your best bet on finding one:
-use www.searchtempest.com with the keywords ls1 t56 in a large radius area.
-search ebay constantly, there’s a high turnover rate of items on there.
-Check the LS1Tech classifieds constantly. They’re out there. Don’t just scroll through the first 2 pages of recent threads and scan the thread titles though, as you can’t always rely on sellers to have completely descriptive titles. Use the search tool with the proper keywords that searches the whole post, instead of just the thread title. IIRC the thread where I found my T56 was titled “Camaro Parts for sale or partout” or something like that. If I hadn’t used the search tool, I would have never known that the guy was selling his trans in there.

Sometimes it’s more about being creative with your search tactics.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:47 PM

Does anyone know of any other manual transmissions that will work besides a T56? Possibly a T5 or aftermarket one that costs less? Maybe a dog-box? What manual transmissions are known to work or bolt up to an LQ4?
Old 01-05-2013, 02:00 AM
TECH Regular

there are a few for sale here at the moment for around that
Old 01-05-2013, 03:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy an LT1 unit and change the input shaft and bell housing - an alternative to consider.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you putting this trans in?

Would the MA5 be an option? I don't have first hand knowledge of the trans, but you can do a some research and draw your own conclusions.

Doug
Old 01-05-2013, 06:29 PM
Teching In

Noob here .. but would a TR6060 be easier/cheaper to find ? Doubt it ... but it might be worth it.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:27 PM

I have a 1986 FC RX7 that I bought last spring (2012). I got is as a shell but came with a cage already built, carbon fiber racing seats, mounts, wheels, tires, and very nice MAX coil-overs. I bought an LQ4 for a power plant. Basically the only thing I'm missing is a transmission. I do need parts to make the engine fit like an LS style intake, pan, and accessory drive. And wiring to make it all work.. But the main and most expenive thing is the transmission.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: where can i find T56? without spending an arm and leg!