Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4/4L80E - Need speedometer help

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 02:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4/4L80E - Need speedometer help

I'm working on a LQ4/4L80E swap and I'm planning on getting an aftermarket 6 gauge setup (Speedo, tach, mech. water, mech. oil, volts, fuel) like from Autometer or something similar and i have no idea how to get any speedo to work with this trans? Not sure if i need an electric speedo or mechanical, if so how what drives it?

I did a search on it and not much help so any help is appreciated
Old 01-03-2013, 04:22 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the rear VSS sensor on the 4l80 is typically a 40 pulse per revolution sensor...
that goes to your pcm, and then your pcm can be calibrated to send out a xxxx pulse per mile signal to send to any electric speedo
If you buy an Autometer speedo, they typically are set to read a 16,000 pulse per mile signal...so you just change the tune to make it ouput that many pulses per mile

otherwise, analog, cable drive speedo, just requires a special adapter that you put on the trans to drive it and run a cable up into the dash like they did in the old days.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Definitely get an electric speedometer. I have Autometer gauges, and the speedo is set by pushing the trip button and driving a mile or two, can't remember exactly since it's been a while, but in the odometer when you're driving to calibrate it, it counts off pulses per mile. I used the VSS out wire that went to the original speedo to wire it up, and since my tune was set to my rear gear ratio, I set the PPM on the speedo to 4000, which is what comes out of the PCM, works perfect.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:57 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Definitely get an electric speedometer. I have Autometer gauges, and the speedo is set by pushing the trip button and driving a mile or two, can't remember exactly since it's been a while, but in the odometer when you're driving to calibrate it, it counts off pulses per mile. I used the VSS out wire that went to the original speedo to wire it up, and since my tune was set to my rear gear ratio, I set the PPM on the speedo to 4000, which is what comes out of the PCM, works perfect.

gotta drive 2 miles....

the issue with that is that you really have to know what 2 miles is....and pretty darn close to as exact as possible...

its easier to just pick an arbitrary number like 4000, drive until it says 4000, then just set it in your tune in your pcm.

and like I said... default in the Autometer is 16000.....why they picked that is way beyond me....I have no idea WTF they were thinking on that one...
Old 01-04-2013, 10:04 AM
TECH Regular

thanks guys!
I read about Autometer's electric speedo's and it looks like thats by far the best answer
Old 01-04-2013, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recalibrated my PCM to match my gear ratio and then used an iPhone app called Speedometer that is free to drive the 2 miles to calibrate the speedo. The app was accurate to 1 pulse of my calculated pulses on the pcm calibration. You really need to do both for an automatic tranny setup otherwise it probably woun't shift properly unless your ratio setting is close.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:45 PM
Teching In

Default speedometer

I put a 4.8 motor and transmission in a 95 S10 and I cant get speed ometer to work.
Can anyone give me a diagram of how to hook up computer to speedometer to make it work.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by donwp
I put a 4.8 motor and transmission in a 95 S10 and I cant get speed ometer to work.
Can anyone give me a diagram of how to hook up computer to speedometer to make it work.
Not sure how a 95 is hooked up but, on our 89, we just hooked up the PCM output wire(from the 98 LS1 setup) to the wire that the original ECM (for a 4.3)output for the speedo used. When we removed the old ECM, we just clipped the wire from the ECM connector and spliced it to the wire from the new PCM. Then all we had to do was to set the PCM up with gears, tire size, etc. It is very close, if not dead on. Hope this helps.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:21 PM
Staging Lane

I've got the speedhut GPS speedo and its great. Good price and the customizing possibilities are extensive. I actually ordered mine with high beam and turn signals, but instead of turn signals i had them put in a red and an orange led. Red for meth and orange for my check engine light. They even changed the wiring from positive out of the gauge to negative so it hooks up directly to the pcm.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by soundengineer
the rear VSS sensor on the 4l80 is typically a 40 pulse per revolution sensor...
that goes to your pcm, and then your pcm can be calibrated to send out a xxxx pulse per mile signal to send to any electric speedo
If you buy an Autometer speedo, they typically are set to read a 16,000 pulse per mile signal...so you just change the tune to make it ouput that many pulses per mile

otherwise, analog, cable drive speedo, just requires a special adapter that you put on the trans to drive it and run a cable up into the dash like they did in the old days.
Where can I get the special adaptor? I need this for my speedometer to work with the ls swap (5.3 w 4l60trans)
Old 10-28-2017, 08:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Wali Abdul Hakim
Where can I get the special adaptor? I need this for my speedometer to work with the ls swap (5.3 w 4l60trans)
If you use an electronic trans 4L60E, your computer has a speedo wire; you hook it up to a little black box called a CableX box, which transforms the electronic signal into a mechanical signal: you hook up your speedo cable and off to your original speedo. The CableX box usually mounts inside the car, it is not water-proof and you can program it with little switches for gear ratio, tire size...
If you use a non-computer 4L60 (or TH700R4) trans, you can swap the tailshaft housing for 1 from an older trans that came from the factory with the speedo cable connector on the tailshaft housing. I think those are also available aftermarket, but mine just cost me a trip to the Pick'n'Pull.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:18 AM
On The Tree

The Dakota Digital module works great as well. Used it on my 55 Olds 88 with a 4L65E. That car has such a beautiful dash, I wanted the use the OE speedo.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:13 PM
Teching In

Holy crap. Read this entire post with hopes of having my gauge work with factory faceplate for reasonable price and find nothing since 2014. This makes me very sad...

Edit. Wrong thread responded to... I think? Oops

Last edited by ChromeDaddy0; 07-13-2018 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Wrong thread responded to... I think? Oops
Old 07-13-2018, 08:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There are a few builds on here where someone has taken an electric GM speedo and modified it to fit behind an old face,not easily though. May be difficult to find in a search,hopefully someone has one saved.

Quick Reply: LQ4/4L80E - Need speedometer help