Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1971 Mach 1 mustang LS1 swap - who's done this? What else do I need

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 03:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1971 Mach 1 mustang LS1 swap - who's done this? What else do I need

Getting ready to drop the body at the paint shop, I wanted to get everything ordered / start the hunt for the remaining parts we will need

1971 Mach 1 mustang was 351 c 4 speed manual, converting to ls1/6 4L60E.
Here's what I've already got:

-Complete car minus stock engine/ trans
-Driveline from 1998 a4 trans am that was a driving car (ls1, 4l60e, 98 PCM and harness, stock radiator and fans, ac parts)
-799 heads
-ls6 intake

Can anyone tell me where to find motor mounts for this?
Is there a swap transmission mount I should look for?
Is having a stand alone engine harness made the way to wire this?
What is a smart fuel delivery program? Any chance an f body tank would fit under this pony?

I am looking for a 99+ PCM for better tuning options (dyno tune) and I am still searching for an ls6 or better cam/ valves/ pushrods/ springs.

If there's a thread somewhere I can't find it! Any guidance would be great. General what to do or avoid info or tips is what I'm looking for. I have done other ls1 f body swaps before, never in a "built ford tough with Chevy stuff" scenario.

This build is for a mild street car that will see some local car shows and mabye some fair weather track time.

Thanks for any help!
Old 01-08-2013, 07:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cant wait to see this one. I have a 71 Mach 1 and I have thought about this also but I just cant bring myself to do it.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I see occasional threads about LS swaps in the 60's stangs, but never a 71.

Free bump anyway.

Not sure about your stand alone question. Why not hook up a stock computer the same way you did the F body swaps? Run your dash gauges with the 351 sensors the same way the rest of us do. Only issue then would be mechanical speedo.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Thanks for response,

Will the engine still start and run without any of the body harnesses installed? What I'm thinking about are the 3 plugs on the passenger side kick panel of the f body.

As far as speedo, is an aftermarket autometer gauge with electronic speedo a good idea? I would like to keep the factory gauge cluster but obviously I can get over that. Can you tell me about the tail shaft conversion for cable speedo on the 4L60e?
Old 01-08-2013, 04:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, the engine will start & run without the body stuff.
Keep in mind, though, that VATS is part of the Body Control Module (body stuff). You will either have to have VATS turned off in your ECM, or buy a VATS signal generator to duplicate the signal supplied by the BCM. (Body Contr Module).
You can make your factory gauges work with your LS1.
I'm looking forward to seeing your project in progress.
IMO, 71 Mustang is IT!
Old 01-09-2013, 01:46 AM
Teching In

Thanks gmag, yes I am familiar with "tuning out" the vats system as well as the egr/ evap/ rear o2 stuff. I have a local LS1 tuner connection (Sam miller) that has done this for me, and I hope he will do it again when I get to that point.

Good to know the body side of the engine harness won't keep me from turning the ford key to start GM's engine, after a "start" tune.

Anybody have any idea where I could find some engine mounts/ pedestals? I keep thinking Dallas mustang might be able to help me, but that would mean I have to call them and explain to them what I'm doing to their car...
Old 01-22-2013, 05:07 PM
Teching In

The car has power steering, will the ls1 power steering pump work? I'm sure the lines are different, there is a local shop that can build custom lines. Will the pressure difference matter from ford power steering gearbox to gm power steering pump?

Thanks
Old 01-22-2013, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

Somewhere on here is a thread with the various LS p/s pump specs. Some are higher, some are lower, all can be adjusted with springs and shims.

Don't know Ford spec but will gamble that recirculating ball boxes all run in the same ballpark.

The in-laws have a '73 Mustang, a bone stock 4.8 powertrain would be an upgrade over the 302 2-bbl and C4 slushbox.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...truck-etc.html

and another with a lot of p/s pump banter

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ump-cts-v.html
Old 01-23-2013, 01:40 AM
Teching In

Great info thanks!
Old 07-15-2013, 03:26 AM
Teching In

Still looking for motor mount solution for this swap. Anyone have a suggestion?

I just emailed dirty dingo hopefuly they can help me out!

Otherwise this swap is well underway. The car is at the body shop finally, getting new floor pan to fix mother natures "yaba daba doo" brake mod, trunk metal/ hood/ full 2 stage paint job.

Caught some flack from my mustang buddies when I told them I was swapping Lsx into a classic pony. I told them this is what it takes to make a mustang fast
Old 07-08-2017, 03:01 AM
Teching In

did you get it done just about to do it myself have a ls1 out of 2004 gto with auto

Quick Reply: 1971 Mach 1 mustang LS1 swap - who's done this? What else do I need