Sponsored by:

Ly6/t56 in my 79 t/a

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a
What I am going to do is use the blocker performance kit that mounts a filter into the shaker. Then use my stock shaker base and modify to allow the fresh air to come from the shaker opening.
I'd love to see pics of that when finished or in the process. My stock shaker base was messed up when I got the car so I am not exactly sure how it is supposed to look.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:20 PM
Staging Lane

I took off work today and tomorrow for the big Houston meet and decided to leave later today so that I could make some progress on the car. My brother came over and helped today.

My bro..haha

She is out!!

This is my 'cool' face as I wear my official work on car shirt.

A guy came by and picked up the motor and transmission about an hour later so I guess I have some more go fast money. Cam perhaps

Well, that is all for today. Off to Houston!
Old 03-15-2013, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

What are you doing about the map sensor? The one that came in my LY6 doesn't fit tight enough to seal in the LS3 intake. I was going to get an LS3 map and change the connector. If there's a way to keep the truck map I'd like to know.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ctd450
What are you doing about the map sensor? The one that came in my LY6 doesn't fit tight enough to seal in the LS3 intake. I was going to get an LS3 map and change the connector. If there's a way to keep the truck map I'd like to know.
I cheated and used my LQ4 map sensor. You have to pull the rubber seal off and wrap electrical tape or equivilant around the stem and then push the rubber back over it. This will expand the diameter to a nice tight fit in the LS3 intake. I also made a bracket to hold down on the sensor to prevent it from working loose.
Here is the bracket:
[IMG][/IMG]

installed:

[IMG][/IMG]

Sorry Redline didn't mean to hi-jack your thread
Old 03-15-2013, 11:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ctd450
I thought about that and had gotten some ideas, but I had not really given it a ton of thought yet honestly.

Originally Posted by tsnow678
I cheated and used my LQ4 map sensor. You have to pull the rubber seal off and wrap electrical tape or equivilant around the stem and then push the rubber back over it. This will expand the diameter to a nice tight fit in the LS3 intake. I also made a bracket to hold down on the sensor to prevent it from working loose.
Here is the bracket:
[IMG][/IMG]

installed:

[IMG][/IMG]

Sorry Redline didn't mean to hi-jack your thread
Thank you for the info. This is definitely what I will do!

No apology necessary!
Old 03-30-2013, 06:05 PM
Staging Lane

The motor is coming around. Looks pretty good inside. Here are a few pics.

This should give it a little more punch.

Also doing lifters, springs, pushrods, high pressure oil pump, and some new head bolts. I am sure this thing will see some spray eventually.
Shoot some paint on this block because it looks like pooooo.
I need to get some belhousing bolts and FW bolts next and should be test fitting this engine/trans next week sometime.

Last edited by REDL1NE; 03-30-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like things are coming right along. Keep it up!
Old 03-31-2013, 03:21 AM
Teching In

Nice build!!! Can you buy motor mounts for the swap or are you going to make our own?
Old 03-31-2013, 06:27 AM
Teching In

Gorgeous bird! This is exactly what I want to do to mine, I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread for ideas haha
Old 03-31-2013, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GC99TA
Looks like things are coming right along. Keep it up!
Thanks sir! With any luck I can test fit soon!

Originally Posted by Croman
Nice build!!! Can you buy motor mounts for the swap or are you going to make our own?
I appreciate it! I actually just bought some. It was a decent price and time always seems like its an issue for me so it was easier..lol

Originally Posted by Blak GT
Gorgeous bird! This is exactly what I want to do to mine, I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread for ideas haha
Thanks buddy. Hopefully I can help you out with it! I have been getting a lot of great ideas from some awesome members on this one.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

BTW for anyone who does this after me.

The bell housing bolts needed are
Trans to engine 15724226 x6 I know these are M10x1.5x40mm
Trans to oil pan 11515768 x2
Old 04-05-2013, 06:42 PM
Staging Lane

She is just about ready.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good! Man your fast! The next pic will be with it running, lol.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tsnow678
Looking good! Man your fast! The next pic will be with it running, lol.
Haha, well this was the easy part. Easier part anyway..lol Test fitting and whatnot will probably take a while..lol

I have been running through the whole process in my head and am researching headers more and more. BRP makes some nice ones that I know will work, but they are a bit pricey.

I'm kinda busy this weekend, but soon I need to get some new hardware to install the clutch, get that installed, get it on the motor, and get the motor mounts on.

I may be in the process of switching jobs so I may hold off on spending any more money for a bit, but we'll see.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:43 PM
Staging Lane

Got some storms coming! Oklahoma this time of year is pretty exciting!
Old 04-17-2013, 07:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by REDL1NE
I have been running through the whole process in my head and am researching headers more and more. BRP makes some nice ones that I know will work, but they are a bit pricey.
I like to consider the overall cost of the swap. In the end it will not be cheap.

If a company makes a quality part that will save you headaches it may be worth a few bucks to you.

Nice car BTW.

Hopefully i will quit getting distracted and start working on my swap again soon.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nuckifuts
I like to consider the overall cost of the swap. In the end it will not be cheap.

If a company makes a quality part that will save you headaches it may be worth a few bucks to you.

Nice car BTW.

Hopefully i will quit getting distracted and start working on my swap again soon.
Thanks!
Yea, your right. In the end I guess it is better to go with a known item that gets the job done even if it's a bit higher. Maybe cost more in frustration in the long run to go cheap.

Get your tail in gear! lol
Weather is starting to get nice!
Old 04-28-2013, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

I haven't had much time (whats new eh?), but I was able to complete some stuff today and get the motor seriously ready for some test fitting. I installed the A/C compressor setup in the location I want (stock location).
Just a quick pic after the compressor/bracket install:

Now onto the power steering pump. The teardrop looking bracket has been discontinued by Chevrolet and is tough to find so I got one from Ebay(60.00), this:

The power steering pump I bought did not come with a pulley so I got a pulley from my buddy over at Chevrolet. It took me a minute to figure out what was going on, but after a bit of research I figured it out. Looks like the pulley on the pump I bought was just broken off and the center portion that needs to be pressed on was left on the shaft.
So I went to O Reilly and picked up a power steering pulley puller/installer for 30 bucks. Removed the old broken piece:

and installed the new pulley.

I'll try to get some more work done next weekend. I went ahead and got a saw so I can do what I need to with the frame to make this stuff fit.

Power steering pulley part number: 1255-9885

Last edited by REDL1NE; 04-28-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:56 AM
Staging Lane

Had a few hours this weekend so I was able to get something done.

First of all, the access holes on the underside of the cross member for the motor mounts are very tiny so I went ahead and cut the mounts off and will be enlarging the hole so I don't have this issue going forward. I have a pic somewhere I will post here shortly.

A buddy came over and we test fit the motor. The main goal was to see where and how much metal had to be removed for the AC compressor/lines. The alternator was close, but fit with no issue. Well, we fit it in and made some very raw marks where I need to cut. I am going to research a bit more before I begin cutting to see what else has been done.
The BRP motor mounts are very impressive. After a little mocking up they fit very well.
I was planning on waiting on A/C lines until this thing got going, but after seeing the clearance issues I may as well design then now and include them.

Anywho, here are a few pics I snapped while in the process. Sorry, they are pretty rough.

I will be cleaning this engine bay up a lot before the finished product, I just want to get it all lined out before making it pretty..lol
You can see where the scratch marks are, that half circle is what needs to go.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whats the latest?

Quick Reply: Ly6/t56 in my 79 t/a