Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with LT1-LS1 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Need help with LT1-LS1 conversion

I have a 97 Z that I have spent to much money on. Who hasn't, right.
Anyways, I started the LS conversion and found that I needed some help, time and know how. I took the car to a guy and he never finished the car. I no longer have near the time to finish this conversion. I need help to find a person, shop to finish this conversion. I live in Columbus, Indiana. I can get to Louisville, KY , Cinn. OH or Indy, In in an hour and an half or less.
Thanks, Rob
Old 01-09-2013, 11:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you need help with exactly? What are your major concerns/issues?
Old 01-10-2013, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

My major concern is time. I have had this car in and out of 3 different guy's shops over the past few years and it stil isn't driveable.
At first I was trying to get the LT1 going right. It would run good untill it decided to miss backfire and die. Wait a few minutes then start all over again.
Then I decided to convert to LS1. Build a motor, with some help from an old raceing engine builder. Gathered my parts. I wasn't getting the car done so I took it to a guy's shop. He wasn't getting it done either. Then the bottom fell out. Car was put on hold for a few months till I got things back into place. Now I travel alot for my job and have even less time then I did before.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

So are you asking for shop recommendations or help fixing it? Need to be a little more specific. If youre looking for a shop, there are a few in Indiana that should be able to get it back on the road.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

Shop or person that can do the work. I don't have the time to do it myself. Thought I could do it, with some help, but it's obvious 3 years later that I was wrong.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:59 PM
TECH Resident

What about Cleveland Ohio
Old 01-13-2013, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

Cleveland is a little too far. I'm anywhere from 1-1 1/2 hours away from Louisville, Cinnci or Indy. Car is close, but not real happy with the way some things were done. Was going to redo the fuel lines later. The regulator/filter is connected at the fuel rails. PCM needs programed. Motor will need to be primed again. It was assembled over a year ago. Never been fired. The harness I bought was suppose to have came off of a 97 LT1 to Ls1 that was totaled some time after it was finished. Suppose to be a Speartech conversion harness that was reworked from a 99 LS1. Plug and play. It doesn't have the 3 wire temp sensor and a few other wires have to be lengthened. The wire lengths could be because of the LS3 topend. Anyways the car is back home once again and still not running. I leave for work later today and don't get back till the 24th.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:10 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in columbia, ky. I build harnesses, which is what I advertise on here. However, locally I do swaps and some other mechanical things. I can finish your conversion no problem. Im about an hour and a half from louisville.

I grew up in Avon, Indiana.

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 01-13-2013, 10:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

If I was closer I'd help ya...In the meantime if you do have the time here's some good reference..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...on-sticky.html
Old 01-23-2013, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the replies, but I was hoping to not have to travel more then 3 hours round trip. I can make the North side of Indianapolis and back in a little over 2 hours. I can make it to Louisville and back in right at 3 hour. And I can make it to Cincy and back in a little over 3 hours. I live just South of Columbus, Indiana. Not real sure what I'm going to do if I don't fine someone to get this finished. I leave for Ashland Ky. for 40 days on Feb. 3rd. Then travel around different parts of Indiana for a few weeks. Then who knows were.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:17 PM
On The Tree

Here's what I think needs to be done to the Z.
Motor needs to be dyno tuned, fuel line needs to be redone, the drivetrain needs to be removed and reinstalled.
Drivetrain was installed, but it bothers me that odd and end bolts were used to install everything. The guy that did the work kept saying he had friends that ran an LS shop in Southern Indiana that were going to help with anything that he didn't know how to do, but he told me that he couldn't get them to come to his shop to help. That also bothered me, because I'm not sure things got done right. I know he had to modify some brackets and some of the hoses didn't fit.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that everything would bolt right up in my 97 LT1 as long as you used LS1 parts.

Still looking for a person/shop to take on, and see threw this project.
This car means a lot to me, because my Dad helped me buy it before he passed away. It needs to be done right.

Thanks,
Rob

Quick Reply: Need help with LT1-LS1 conversion