Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 intake. Throttle body options.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LS6 intake. Throttle body options.

I just bought a LS6 intake for my L33 engine. I should have asked this before I bought the thing but can I use the DBW from the L33 or am I limited to use the smaller TB from the earlier years? Also what size are these respective throttle bodies? 2006 L33...88mm? 2002 LS1...78mm?

Kirk
Old 01-16-2013, 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LS1 throttle body is 78mm.

The LS6 intake should fit any 3 bolt throttle body.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used the truck DBW TB on my LS1 intake, just had to block off the vent port in the TB and put an external vent on the valve cover fitting. Also had to seal the TB to prevent vaccuum leak as the intake and TB vent ports are different.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99VetteFRC
I used the truck DBW TB on my LS1 intake, just had to block off the vent port in the TB and put an external vent on the valve cover fitting. Also had to seal the TB to prevent vaccuum leak as the intake and TB vent ports are different.
I am a visual person, got any pics that show what you did?
Old 01-16-2013, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Unfortunatly I don't have any pics of blocking off vent port. I set the car up with the truck engine N/A and when I switched to the LS1 intake I compared the two. You didn't say what TB you have to put on the LS intake. I used the truck TB just cuz the wiring and gas pedal was already in the car when I put the intake on the car. This is the best pic I have.
Attached Thumbnails LS6 intake.  Throttle body options.-dscn1435.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (01-02-2022)
Old 01-16-2013, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

I have two throttle bodies. One is the TB off a 2002 Camaro, it came with the LS6 intake. The other is a 2006 DBW TB off a the L33 Silverado engine. A while go during the planning stages of this swap I decided to go DBW for two reasons, I have a DBW TB and I thought it would be cool to have cruise control on an old 69 Nova. So now I have this other DBC throttle body and after thinking how often I would not even use cruise control I am thinking about possibly using the DBC TB. I would still need to get the TPS and IAC sensors. I have not bought the harness yet but I do have two ECMs that were both originally from DBW trucks. I am not sure if either of these ECMs could be used with DBC?? Any thought on my ramblings??
Old 01-16-2013, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

My 2003 4.8 came with the harness a blue/green connector ECM, and pedal/tac. I don't think there is an issue using either setup, just try to get the ECM and harness for whichever TB you are going to use. Not sure if the truck ECM will Drive the IAC in the DBC ECM. I think if you have the truck DBW and a blue/green ECM, you should just stick with DBW. Just my opinion.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:13 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep in mind that the IAC and TPS arent cheap and will add to the cost of getting that throttle body working. Regarding whether you should go DBW or Cable, the PCMs you have, depending on service number, may be able to run drive by cable, if not, it is advisable to go to the 411 (red/blue) PCM. You didnt mention whether you had the TAC Module for the DBW Setup, if not that is an additional cost you have to factor in.

We have PCMs with a tune for $200, DBC Harness for $499, DBW Harness for $529. All are in stock. Hope this information helps.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 05-11-2018, 12:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy old posts batman! I know!

Checking to see if Kirk got anywhere w/ DBW and LS6 intake? Swapped a 2003LQ4 (05 ecm green/blue) in a 64 chevelle, intake / accy bracket are too tall, I am drive by wire and thinking of getting an LS6 intake. Not sure what size TB that's
Old 05-11-2018, 01:12 PM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I did my swap using '05 Yukon electronic components, including the truck DBW throttle body. It just bolts up to the LS6 intake, seals correctly, and works fine. I did shave off the little hose connection (which attaches to the steam lines and heats the TB so it doesn't freeze in very cold weather) for clearance, but that's about it.

I've got a few good pictures in my thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...o-lq9-t56.html
Old 05-11-2018, 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you for the reply, that looks like a really clean, really, really fun swap!

What steam lines are you running? I know I'll have to mod the truck setup but don't know what I have to do?
Old 05-11-2018, 01:56 PM
Launching!

I am currently using these, I think:
Amazon Amazon

However, you can also bastardize the factory setup. The line that goes between the two cylinder heads is pretty low and will clear (at least, it cleared on mine after I ground the stuff off the bottom of the TB, as I mentioned). The line that has the hose barb on it obviously gets in the way of the throttle, but you might be able to gently bend it out of the way. I drove with it like that for a while and it was fine; I was just getting a little coolant weeping around the gaskets and decided to try something that used O-rings instead.

edit: You can kind of see what I did in this picture: https://i.imgur.com/bCPB4UP.jpg

Note that I switched to an LS1 F-body water pump and stuck a set of spacers behind it. This allowed me to retain the truck accessory spacing while getting the radiator hoses out of the way of the TB. I think you can also use an LS3 Camaro water pump to the same effect without using spacers, but in any case, you need to get something with a lower-profile radiator outlet.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lemming104
I am currently using these, I think: https://www.amazon.com/Earls-LS0014E.../dp/B01JP2HHPY

However, you can also bastardize the factory setup. The line that goes between the two cylinder heads is pretty low and will clear (at least, it cleared on mine after I ground the stuff off the bottom of the TB, as I mentioned). The line that has the hose barb on it obviously gets in the way of the throttle, but you might be able to gently bend it out of the way. I drove with it like that for a while and it was fine; I was just getting a little coolant weeping around the gaskets and decided to try something that used O-rings instead.

edit: You can kind of see what I did in this picture: https://i.imgur.com/bCPB4UP.jpg

Note that I switched to an LS1 F-body water pump and stuck a set of spacers behind it. This allowed me to retain the truck accessory spacing while getting the radiator hoses out of the way of the TB. I think you can also use an LS3 Camaro water pump to the same effect without using spacers, but in any case, you need to get something with a lower-profile radiator outlet.
Thank you for the info. I'm picking up the intake this morning and will gather everything else needed. I was hoping to get by with a cowl hood but doubt it would clear.

EDIT: What brackets are you using? Everything I've seen so far requires the smaller alternator.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Hotwire
Holy old posts batman! I know!

Checking to see if Kirk got anywhere w/ DBW and LS6 intake? Swapped a 2003LQ4 (05 ecm green/blue) in a 64 chevelle, intake / accy bracket are too tall, I am drive by wire and thinking of getting an LS6 intake. Not sure what size TB that's

I ended up using the LS6 intake and truck DBW TB. I used a PSI Conversion harness and PSI tuned my PCM as well. I had to modify the alt/ps bracket to work with the (shorter than truck) LS6 intake but it works great! Everything fits under the stock hood and I am very happy with the swap.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hotwire
EDIT: What brackets are you using? Everything I've seen so far requires the smaller alternator.
I'm using one of these: http://lsbrackets.com/ls-trucksuv-al...umber-ls-0203/

It keeps the PS pump in the truck location, but kicks the alternator out to the side and down a bit. Still fits the DR44 truck alternator. Note that the alternator, when installed, obscures the fill port on the PS reservoir. Also, I didn't like the amount of belt wrap on the alternator, so I put an idler pulley between the PS and alternator to pull it in a bit more. Still, it works.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys!

I found a set of used Goatbuilt brackets (I've never heard of them either) on eBay and scooped them up. Picked up the intake yesterday morning, can't wait to install my hood so that'll be one less question I have to answer.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 02 silverado with a 5.3, and runs FAST ls6 typhoon intake, had to move the idler pulley with a relocation bracket a newer style water pump and switch to an electric fan to make it all fit in the truck

Quick Reply: LS6 intake. Throttle body options.