Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some direction

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 06:29 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some direction

I have a TPI system installed in a Impala. I had the engine rebuilt approx. 40000 miles I cant afford to change the engine. But I have read on another site where as the LS computer to could be wire into the TPI unit and I would get more power and gas mileage. Basically better control of the engine. Is anyone familiar with doing this is it worth it?

Thanks for any info
Old 01-22-2013, 06:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Imp709
I have a TPI system installed in a Impala. I had the engine rebuilt approx. 40000 miles I cant afford to change the engine. But I have read on another site where as the LS computer to could be wire into the TPI unit and I would get more power and gas mileage. Basically better control of the engine. Is anyone familiar with doing this is it worth it?

Thanks for any info
I'm sure it could be done, but for the expense/effort required it probably wouldn't be worth it.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok Thank U
Old 01-22-2013, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

For the effort involved, I'd just save up for the whole swap. A 4.8 swap shouldn't be very expensive.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:08 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Personally i would save a bit and just do a complete LS swap with say a 5.3L. I have one out of a 2001 Sierra that came with the harness and computer already set up to run with a manual trans. It cost me 700 bucks complete. It sat long enough that i did end up having to replace the injectors as the fuel in them had solidified in them causing them not to fire. So that cost me an extra 70 bucks IIRC. Other than that it was ready to run from plugs and wires to computer to throttle body. It was ready to run and it did other than the injectors. To try and piece together the parts for the LS computer swap would probably not be worth it in the end. You need coil packs, computer, pretty sure a timing cover or reluctor wheel for crank timing (i may be wrong on that but i am pretty sure). Harness, unless you plan on modifying your own which would likely be a pain. I am pretty sure there is more.

Quick Reply: Need some direction