Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fox LS1 emissions inspection in Texas

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default fox LS1 emissions inspection in Texas

I'm probably going to move to Texas within the next few years, and have a question about emissions. In Raleigh NC on OBD1 vehicles, the inspection normally only entails looking for a catalytic converter, and a safety inspection on OBD1 vehicles.

So my Mustang is a 1991, which is obviously OBD1. The engine is a 1998 fbody, which is OBD2.

I've done some searching around here and found that swaps are OK, but the inspection may be based on the year of the engine (1998, OBD2) rather than the year of the vehicle (1991, OBD1). Also, this only applies to counties with emissions inspections.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/...aq/faq_asm.htm
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/...nCriteria.aspx

That all being said, the target locations in which I could realistically find a job are the greater areas of Dallas, Austin, and Houston. All of these locations require one of the the emissions inspections above, and if the car is tested as OBD1, either two speed idle or the acceleration test. However, if I have to go OBD2 due to the engine being 1998, will they plug into the OBD2 port and scan for codes instead?

I'm hoping some of you Texas residents with OBD1 vehicles that are swapped can help me clear this up.

1) Will Texas consider the car OBD2 or OBD1 during testing? If it's considered OBD2, I believe I know what I need, and that is functional OBD2 port scanning and all emissions components from a 1998 fbody to pass visual, regardless of whether or not they are functional or turned off in the ECM.

2) If it's considered OBD1, how tough are they on visual inspection? I'm not worried about passing the tailpipe sniffer, but visual inspection I suspect could be tougher depending on who I get for the inspection. Are inspectors typically lenient during OBD1 inspections, so long as it passes tailpipe? If components such as EVAP, EGR, and AIR are missing, will they be noticed, or will they even care? The car will have "cats".

3) Lately I've been thinking of going either Holley HP or Megasquirt MS3X. If the car is considered OBD1, will they ever try to scan the ECM for any OBD1 codes?

4) Will the inspectors even realize the engine is not a 5.0 if they look at it? The VIN from the car will come back as a 2.3L four cylinder, but I suspect many mayl just look at it and think it's a Ford V8 and not think twice.

5) Do they do a fuel test during tailpipe inspection? Back when I lived in FL and FL had tailpipe emissions inspections (mid 90's before they stopped tailpipe testing) I could just mix ethanol to about 20% of the total, and my modded 5.0 Mustang would blow zeros with no cats and no emissions equipment at all. I suspect this is possible, and even easy if I run it on E85 for sniffer test, unless they actually check the fuel somehow. I doubt they do this though.

Thanks.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Even though the jobs are there, it's easy to rent a PO Box in a small nearby town in a county with no emissions testing.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I understand that's a possibility. I actually did something similar during a time when I lived in Atlanta, but I kept my car registered at my grandmother's house in FL.

However, I was really hoping to just make it work and legal so I didn't have to worry about it in the long run.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Depends on where you live of course. I live in Chambers county outside Houston. They don't even emissions test at all. My inspection is 12 bucks....make some calls. Living in the burbs doesn't mean you live too far from work. The Harris county line is about 5 miles from where I live. Wierd how some of the laws are....but it works for me... LOL

T,
Old 01-24-2013, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

Dont worry about it they go off of the body of the car not the motor. It will still have to pass the sniffer unless you know people.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I live in a small town so this kinda thing probably wouldnt even matter to most shops. but i know my brother who lives in austin gets tested for more than what we get in my town. My inspection is 14.50 his is around 30 bucks
Old 01-25-2013, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's not your daily driver you could wait 3 years and have it tagged as an antique. I did this with my 54, even though it doesn’t have any emissions; no hassles (no inspections and a few rules to follow) just renew it every 5 years. I also have an 86 square body that may get a LS engine, but I’ll tag it as a classic; safety inspection only. I live in one of those counties that have no emission testing also; so those rules don’t apply to me now. I’m east of Houston, maybe 30 minutes to downtown. Something to consider.

Quick Reply: fox LS1 emissions inspection in Texas