Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunk fuel pump access

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Question Trunk fuel pump access

Has anyone cut a hole in their trunk and built a doghouse or access panel to get to their fuel pump/sender? If so could you post some photos or info on how you did it?

I am going to install a Tanks Inc PA-4 pump setup into my '70 Nova tank and I'm currently debating sinking a recess into the top of the tank or making room above it by cutting space out of the trunk and creating a removable doghouse. Having a hump in the trunk floor isn't ideal, but I like the idea of pulling the pump or accessing the fittings/connections/wiring without dropping the tank again. It also makes modifying the tank a lot easier.

Thanks for any ideas.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

I have a humped one in my Nova, but the spare tire covers most of it. I attribute the access to it, the reason the pump has never gone out! My '33 has a factory flat access panel, although I made it slightly bigger, and the sender has GM quick disconnects brazed on it so you don't need many tools to replace it, I theorize I could replace it (with the spare I carry) on the side of the road in less than a half hour, although lucklily I haven't had to. Knock on wood!!!
Old 02-11-2013, 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did it for my Chevelle. It did come in handy as I had Fuel Pump grounding problem a few years back. I was able to remove the cover and take the Sender unit out, found the problem and corrected it and be back on the road in 45-60 min (IRC).

hope these help...
BC
Old 02-11-2013, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

That does help, thanks! Are you planning to do something similar on your Nova? The more I think about it, the less I want to cut into the tank and put that recess in when I could gain the necessary clearance and have easy pump access through the trunk, not to mention avoiding the need to weld on the tank.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
I have a humped one in my Nova, but the spare tire covers most of it. I attribute the access to it, the reason the pump has never gone out!
Do you have any photos showing what you came up with?
Old 02-11-2013, 03:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
Do you have any photos showing what you came up with?
No, sorry I don't, and the car isn't here at the moment. But it looks similar to bczee's.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have not came to that yet.. just finished my Tahoe work, had to have the Trans rebuilt, put new ball joints in, got it aligned and new tires.. so I'm broke..LOL..

I Just started to take the engine out of the Chevelle to replace the oil pan.... then its back to the Nova... If I have any $$$ at the point. But I was planning on recessing the tank, but I will see in about a month from now...

BC

Quick Reply: Trunk fuel pump access