Sponsored by:

OK, new here, have 2 oddball questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 01:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK, new here, have 2 oddball questions

Hi all,
I'm well into the planning stages of my next build. It's a "47 Chevy C.O.E.
I plan on running a mid mounted LSX (probably a 5.3). Because the front portion of the engine will rest under the seat area of the cab, I will need to use the LS1 style intake.
So here's the questions; 1. Can I still use a DBW throttle body on this style of intake? 2. Is it possible to mount the intake backwards, putting the TB on the transmission side? I know it sounds odd but it would allow me to locate the engine about 4 inches forward.
Thanks in advance,
Fast
Old 02-12-2013, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

I'm using a BBK SSI Intake on my 5.3 now. Still using the Stock truck throttle body, but the water pump will have to be changed to either a 2010+ camaro pump or modified for a front output otherwise the top neck interferes with the Throttle body.

I have seen a few builds where the manifold was flipped 180 degrees for your exact solution. In that case the water pump will not be an issue. The only thing they had to do way swap the front and rear coolant lines and block off the oil pressure switch port and relocate it elsewhere. I can check the fit on my BBK reversed when I get home if you would like and snap some photos.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, Corvette dbw tb works and the manifold can be flipped no problem.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:59 PM
TECH Resident

Reverse mount shouldn't be an issue. I've seen it done in a couple builds. Porsche, DeLorean, and Mitsubishi van come to mind.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Many of the racing mid engine cars with Gen III/IV emgomes do mount them flipped 180.. Rock Crawers also. Shouldn't be a problem, just shorten or extend the harness as needed.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

Default Good news

OK great, that will solve some other minor issues also. jsemp1, some photos of your intake setting on backwards would great. I looked over your build thread, good work. I have built a few old trucks ('46, '54, '59 and now the '47). Will add some picks to my profile.
Fast
Old 02-12-2013, 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

Here's a few of the angles I figured you would be interested in. If you want any more let me know. The cam sensor clears just fine, but the stock oil pressure one does not. It looked like I could easily thread my analouge equus gauge into the port though. Also incase you were curious the valve covers are also able to be flipped so you don't have to do any weird hose routing for the PCV.

Quick Reply: OK, new here, have 2 oddball questions