Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuild Heads Only? (not bottom end)...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rebuild Heads Only? (not bottom end)...

My 5.3 needs a rebuild soon (lower than normal compression). My leak down tester showed me leaks in/around the exhaust valves. I'm low on cash and can't afford an entire rebuild right now, so I may have to just settle on getting the heads rebuilt. Do you guys see any issues with this, or will rebuilding heads and NOT the bottom end create new problems?
Old 02-12-2013, 01:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depending on how the rings/walls are or the lower end bearing. .if those are in decent shape. .Yeah.. just a top end rebuilt would be ok.

BC
Old 02-12-2013, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It won't cause any problems. It's a common practice when a head gasket needs replaced.

With that said. It only cost me $160 for all new bearings, rings and having a machine shop hone the cylinders, polish the crank, and check the block deck for me. Once you apply heat to the heads its possible for them to need to be re-surfaced the next time they are off. (Which to properly rebuild the bottom end they will need to be). Just the cost of new head gaskets and head studs will almost wash the cost of rings and bearings.

Its more of a question of spend a little extra now or a lot extra later IMO.

Quick Reply: Rebuild Heads Only? (not bottom end)...