Sponsored by:

HELP! LY6 conversion into 68 firebird

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 08:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! LY6 conversion into 68 firebird

Hey guys,

I have been reading some posts and builds regarding LY6 conversions into 1st Gen fbody's and would like some straight forward guidance on how to tackle this project. I am in the process of obtaining a 2009 LY6 complete with drive accesories, ECU, harness, gas pedal 70k miles. First and foremost let me just say that the "Bird" will be a street/weekender with as much "Umpph" as possibly allowed without compromising PVT. Will have to get in contact with Pat G for a custom cam since he seems to one of the most revered go to guy by ls gearheads. By the way, I also intend on keeping the VVT option, I know some guys chose to delete the VVT in order to I stall a more aggressive cam but this car will not see the drag strip and I don't want to compromise PVT. So as far as I can tell, to turn this beast into a car friendly engine I would need an ls3 intake, springs, Comp trunions, oil pan Autokraft and motor mounts, engine already comes with l92 heads (will get heads ported), flywheel with extension to mate with possible 4l60 or 4l80 not sure yet. Just a couple of situations i need help with.... I will have to get brackets to convert truck drive accesories to car- I am hoping someone has used qwik brackets (or something similar) and can provide detailed feedback on this matter- there are many guys who have engineered their own brackets and I don't have that extensive knowledge so I'm looking for a simple bracket conversion. Also I understand that the stock water pump may be in the way when installing LS intake- is there anyway around this, i saw somewhere that they sell spacers for stock water pump or should I swap water pump and if so what year and will that interfere with alignment of other drive acc with new brackets. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated!!

Quick Reply: HELP! LY6 conversion into 68 firebird