Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 into FC RX7: Power steering elimination?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 into FC RX7: Power steering elimination?

Hello!

New forum member here. I'm in the process of putting the LS2/T56 combo out of an 05 GTO into my 87 RX7 TII.

I'm wondering if there are any power steering elimination kits out there for the LS2 with the GTO/F-body accesories. My TII has manual steering and I don't want to carry the pump around if it isn't doing anything and I don't see a good way to re-route the belt without an idler where the pump is. I searched, but can't find any info, all I can find is threads on how to remove the pulley. I can fab something up, but I'd rather just use something pre-built if something is out there. Anyone dealt with this before?

Thanks
Old 02-25-2013, 10:02 AM
Teching In

Have you looked into using the KwikPerformance alternator only mount? Scroll to the bottom of the page. http://kwikperf.com/lsx_alt_ps.html
Old 02-25-2013, 11:17 AM

No, I hadn't seen that one before, thanks! I might go with that one. I'd prefer to keep the alternator low though, for cleanliness and to keep the weight lower. I've seen where people just remove that idler and just run the belt over the alternator, but that seems like it reduces the wrap on the water pump too far. Any one have experience with whether or not that setup has issue with water pump slip? This will primarily be used for autocross and road racing, so water pump functionality is a big deal.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This pic shows probably the single most popular way to delete the PS pump. No issues with belt wrap.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:24 PM

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks! Looks like I'll have something to do while I'm snowed in over the next couple of days between this and the wiring
Old 02-25-2013, 06:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wound up using a similar configuration except added another idler pulley down low to help with alternator and crank pulley belt wrap.

Here's the parts I used.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/15604243-post64.html

Old 03-24-2014, 07:09 AM

Tried the above mentioned belt and pulley (first pic without additional pulley)but belt hits 2 of the alternator bolts.

I will check tomorrow to see if I can move things around but not looking good.

Last edited by Zapp69; 03-24-2014 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Further info
Old 03-24-2014, 08:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Zapp69
Tried the above mentioned belt and pulley (first pic without additional pulley)but belt hits 2 of the alternator bolts.

I will check tomorrow to see if I can move things around but not looking good.
Easy fix. Had the same issue with the bottom bolt. Top bolt is close but does not touch. Have a machine shop countersink the hole in the bracket, then get the appropriate length allen-head bolt so that it is recessed in the countersink.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:55 PM
Teching In

I have a 5.3 that I am putting in a 1960 Bel Air. I would like to eliminate PS and A/C and want to know the best way.

What bracket would I need to move the alternator to the PS pump location?

I am using truck accessories and space isn't a problem, I just don't want an obnoxious alternator bracket that puts it a foot off to the side.

Quick Reply: LS2 into FC RX7: Power steering elimination?