Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

getting a factory 69 tach work with a ls1?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 09:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting a factory 69 tach work with a ls1?

I know a aftermarket tack will work set on 4 cyl but the factory 69 camaro tach has no settings.
Is there a way to make it work? tach adaptor or can I rim apart a used aftermarket tack and use the setting switch? or is there another way like something at radio shack I can use?
Old 02-25-2013, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The way I have done it in the past was with a tach adapter. dakota digital has always done good.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You or a competent tuner can change the output in the VCM to what your existing hardware is looking for by using HP Tuners and I assume EFI Live or similar programs.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
You or a competent tuner can change the output in the VCM to what your existing hardware is looking for by using HP Tuners and I assume EFI Live or similar programs.
^^^^ Yep, if you have HPTuners, just set the 'tach resolution' from 6 to 3, that will double the output from 4 cylinder mode to 8. Depending on year of PCM, you may also need a "pull-up resistor" to amplify the tach signal coming out of the PCM. It's just a 680 ohm 1/4 watt resistor placed between the ignition power to the tach and the tach input wire coming from the PCM. You can get the resistor in a pack of 5 at Radio Shack for around a dollar.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:08 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks, I will contact bill at BP automotive .
he is doing my harness and re flashing the computer, hopefuly he can do this.
Im tired of buying adaptors and stuff I never thought about before doing this swap.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:20 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chevnut55
Thanks, I will contact bill at BP automotive .
he is doing my harness and re flashing the computer, hopefuly he can do this.
Im tired of buying adaptors and stuff I never thought about before doing this swap.
Steve,

Yes I can do this! I have done it for v8 signal tachs and v6 signal tachs! If you have any questions, you have my number. I am very busy but I ALWAYS answer my phone unless im on it when you call, then I will call you right back.

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 08-06-2013, 01:41 PM
Staging Lane

I can not belive its been 6 months sine I asked about this and I am still working on getting my tach working. the tach still does not work.
I tested the 69 tach on a old motor and its fine, so I borrowed 2 other tachs to try.
there is no tach signal.
I brought the car to slowhawk another tuner and asked hime to check on it and does not know but it shows the pcm knows there is a tach signal because it displays rpm, he says the harness is probley wired wrong and I would belive it if I did not test straight from the PCM since so many other things were wrong in the harness and re- program/flash!
I tried the resistor and any thing else I could but there is no tach signal at all coming from the pcm where its suppose to.
one of the codes it giving me is a tach signal output circuit..anyone know whats going on here?

Quick Reply: getting a factory 69 tach work with a ls1?