Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about which 4.8L (LR4/LY2) should I swap into my 1989 Toyota Landcruiser?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 11:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about which 4.8L (LR4/LY2) should I swap into my 1989 Toyota Landcruiser?

Hello All,

I have been reading a ton on here, and I must say this is the best site on the web for LS info....PERIOD...... but I am still unsure as to which engine might work best/easiest for my swap into my '89 Toyota Landcruiser.

It is a very nice, Heavy Duty old school-looking rig that does great for my job of going offroad into deep ditches and down muddy paths and rocky roads, and then traveling 40,000 miles a year on the highway to get there first!

Below is my current thought, and I am open to opinions/reasons to change/modify my plans if anyone has anything to add, so please feel free.....

I want to remove the old 3FE 4.0L (155 hp I-6) and auto tranny and swap in a 4.8L GEN III (LR4) or GEN IV (LY2) engine with the wiring harness and ECM from a van so it comes pre-wired and programmed for a 4L80E.

I will have to obtain a 4x4 4L80E tranny (no 4WD 4L80E's were available with the 4.8L Vans that I can find info on).

I have to have a 4WD 4L80E to use an Advance Adapters kit to adapt my Toyota 4WD transfer case to the back of the GM tranny, it won't fit on a 2WD 4L80E.

OBJECTIVES FOR THE SWAP:

1. Make a better daily driver!
2. Have 350+hp
3. Be reliable and STRONG
4. Get excellent fuel mileage (at least 18+mpg)
5. Cost less than $4500 total
6. Last for at least 150,000 miles for the engine life before rebuild/swap out

Questions I have so far:

1. Are there major pros/cons in going with the LR4 engine/Van wiring harness/ECM or the 2007+ LY2 engine/ Van Wiring harness/ ECM ?

2. I have a brand new, rebuilt Garrett brand TO4R (T67) turbocharger that I am thinking about using with a Trick performance single cast turbo manifold running at 6-12psi on 93 octane pump gas, and I realize I will have to go to much bigger injectors (also for the hope that we will one day have E85 nearby). Will these bigger injectors kill my mileage or does the HP tuner software and new injector technology allow for huge injectors and good mileage now? What power figure might I assume to reach using what PSI and what injector PPH?

3. my current Toyota engine has a cable throttle body; would I be better off staying away from DBW technology for now on this older vehicle and get a cable driven throttle body, or, do I get a pedal and TAC module from the same Van that I get an LY2 from and install that also? Do all years of LY2 Van engines have DBW throttlebodies?

4. If I want to change the cam and install new heavy duty valvesprings and still stay mileage and turbo friendly, Should I stay with the LR4 engine and do an LS6 cam? What cam choices are available for the LY2 engine that will up performance but not require a bunch of new parts? I assume that the Vans have lower HP/smaller cams than the trucks with the same series of engines. I assume it is the cams, can anyone confirm that? Anyone have a good cheap upgrade cam to recommend for this type of application?

5. If I do turbocharge it and look at 450-550hp, will that require upgraded headgaskets (LS9, I presume), Head studs, and ARP rod bolts? Or are those upgrades overkill on something not meant to be drag raced within an inch of it's life? I have seen some stock turbo builds that literally leave the engine bone stock and do nothing more than swap out the cam, but I am unsure as I don't have any personal experience with these engines.

6. If we assume that I will be Turbocharging to less than 12psi, will that require opened up ring end gaps, or as long as the boost is cool and fuel is plenty, no need to open up ring gaps? I will have a wideband O2 on it at all times if I do turbocharge it.

7. What Year 4L80E/4WD transmissions are compatible with the LR4 / LY2 ecm's? Did the wiring harness' change or internal compatibility change?

Thanks in advance for the help and info!!!

Here are some pics!

Last edited by WRXINTX; 03-01-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:34 AM
Teching In

bump for help with pics up now!
Old 05-11-2013, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

Bump for opinions on these questions! (I think they're interesting)
Old 05-12-2013, 04:12 AM
TECH Addict

Many of your questions might receive more answers in the GM Powertrain and Forced Induction sections over at PerformanceTrucks.net
Old 05-12-2013, 04:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are wanting a 4wd 4l80e, I believe those were only available behind 3/4 and 1 ton 4wd pickup trucks. And in those applications they were pared with the 6.0 V8 or the 8.1 liter "big block V8".

I'd look for a wrecked gas heavy duty truck, buy the whole truck, and swap the engine, trans, wiring harness all at once. When doing these swaps its a lot easier to just buy the entire wrecked vehicle. This saves you the hassle of hunting down parts that didn't come with your engine/trans pullout.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:22 AM
TECH Addict

I agree with this, although he seems pretty set on getting a 4.8, which only was available with a 4L80E in the 2500+ vans, which were not available with 4wd.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:41 PM
Teching In

Because I could never find a great deal on a 4.8L engine with low miles with a good wiring harness and computer and a separate 4L80E 4wd tranny.... I never got either.... yet.

I just made an awesome deal on a used L92 with 80K miles missing the accessories and brackets along with a 4L80E 4wd, wiring harness, and computer!
Old 07-19-2013, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Well I was all set to give advise on which 4.8 to go with , but it sounds like your going with a L92 .What kind o deal did you get on it ?
Old 07-27-2013, 09:54 PM
Teching In

Thanks Man.....

Yeah, the L92 ended up being a good deal as a parts engine......

I bought it and I am going to have to transfer the parts into a new block

The bellhousing ended up being badly damaged on the block, beyond repair.

4.8L's are in short supply locally unless I get one with 180,000 miles on it, so I gave up on that route.....

My next challenge is going to be asking about which block I should use to keep VVT and my rated HP.

I hate to squeeze out $1500 for a new L92 block, but that is still cheaper than buying a good running L92 complete.... I only have $200 in this L92 with a broke block....

Quick Reply: Questions about which 4.8L (LR4/LY2) should I swap into my 1989 Toyota Landcruiser?