Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

70 camaro ls or lq4 build?? Im new to this stuff

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 70 camaro ls or lq4 build?? Im new to this stuff

Im new to these LS conversions, so bare with me and i know this has been beat to death here im sure.....but what i'm looking to do is a conversion in my 70 camaro. Budget is around 7k for the motor and trans and i want to go w/ a manual t56 trans. Has anyone here done this in a 2nd gen camaro? where should i start? should i find a lq4 motor and build? should i buy a 98-2002 camaro and go that route? if i carburate the motor do i need to change the wiring harness? what about the hydro clutch?? you guys see where im going. any help would be great!!! thanks guys

Thanks
Doug
Old 03-01-2013, 02:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ddc456
Im new to these LS conversions, so bare with me and i know this has been beat to death here im sure.....but what i'm looking to do is a conversion in my 70 camaro. Budget is around 7k for the motor and trans and i want to go w/ a manual t56 trans. Has anyone here done this in a 2nd gen camaro? where should i start? should i find a lq4 motor and build? should i buy a 98-2002 camaro and go that route? if i carburate the motor do i need to change the wiring harness? what about the hydro clutch?? you guys see where im going. any help would be great!!! thanks guys

Thanks
Doug
Doug,

The truck engines are more plentiful and usually much cheaper to find. No matter which engine you choose to purchase the T56 is what is going to get into your pocket. If it were me I would find a lq4 and T56 mate them up. The LS1 will cost more, but it will have the car accessories that will be more desirable for your application.

If you can find a decent deal on a 98-02 camaro or firebird that might not be a bad idea. Then you can use the electric fans out of it, the harness can be rewired if you want, and you can use the pcm. If you want a clean install for the engine management you can go with a new harness.

Our new harnesses start at $450 and our PCM flashes start at $100.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 03-01-2013, 02:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

newbie most likely should do a swap.. you should just sell me the 70 Camaro and go on... LOL..

Welcome !

Don't be afraid.. there are many 2nd gen swap, I would love to do one next. Do a search and you will find many are on going or done here on LS1Tech. I have a friend that has one that used a late 4th gen as a doner.. swapped everything in that was possible. Wiring, Accessories, Brakes, Dash, seats.. turned out well !

The smaller 5.3 are cheaper.. and will take a bit more to reach the same output level as a larger one. .that is just the facts.. so.. if you can affort the budget or can find a good deal. .get find a 6.0 and you will be ahead of the game and get to the output level a lot cheaper.

$7k should be more than enough, but it comes down to what high cost items you want to add to the swap or use. If your really on a Budget. Read the FAQ on the $1500 swap.. a lot of cost cutting tips in that thread. As well as the many project threads. You can see my swaps by following the link in my Sig...

Also, if you can get a cheap doner car.. that would save a lot and also as you part it out, you can recover some cash. I was able to make an extra $3,500+ to help when i parted out a 02 Z28.. recovered some cash and was like getting the Engine, Trans, radiator, fans and Brakes for free !. Having a doner car/truck is great, you have all of the extra parts to use if needed.

BC
Old 03-02-2013, 06:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bczee is right on. Look at the stickies and track a few threads. This is not any pioneering so never fear. If you can find a good donor car I recommend you take it. For a good demonstration look at the thread by fsdpontiac . Now this is good use of a donor.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:33 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are going with a carburetor then you will just need an MSD System to run everything. But, if you really want to take full advantage of these engines (driveability, economy, power), I would stick with the fuel injection. As BCZEE stated, don't be afraid, read as much as you can to become informed and ask questions. Lots of help on this board. Good luck.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'

Quick Reply: 70 camaro ls or lq4 build?? Im new to this stuff