Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS powered 65 Impala

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS powered 65 Impala

I'm beginning my LS swap on a 65 Impala. I've been reading and reading and reading. I see alot of infomation on the swaps but not much on the 65. I have gotten an 2002 ss camaro engine and now I'm looking for motor mounts for my conversion and also any wire harness suggestions.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

Hey, welcome to ls1 tech! I've converted a 65 impala with a ls3 and t56 6 speed, I bought mounts from eBay, used a holley oil pan, 69 camaro dynatech
Headers, factory teams crossmember just positioned different, and for the engine mounts you will have to raise the frame engine mounts or make spacers for the mounts off the motor, approx 5/8" for proper clearances
Old 03-07-2013, 11:47 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see you procured the ls1 you were talking about, you will pleased with your choice!

We carry many of the parts you need to complete your swap. Wire harness, fuel system, mounts, and much more. The website is under construction, but is moving along quickly! You can call with any questions, we will be happy to answer in any way that we can!

As far as your harness options, we dont offer just one harness. We actually offer 4 different tiers of harnesses, this gives you the options to have a harness with everything, or just the bare essentials.

Our premium harness will come with everything you need, even cooling fan relays with the needed wire to reach your fans. There are some pictures on the site, and over the next couple days there will be a bunch on there.

Welcome to the site!

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 03-08-2013, 03:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 167 Likes on 97 Posts

Here you go.....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...onversion.html

Ken
Old 03-08-2013, 10:00 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys exactly the information I need. I couldn't fiind a shop within a 4 hour radius that would take on the project so I'm left to do it myself. Now i just have to find away to make some spacers for the mounts. Do you guys know of anyone that may sale anything like that. Or Project66Impala what are my chances of getting you to fab up a couple of those plate mounts like those you used on you install, my new friend lol. Again guys thanks for the help.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 167 Likes on 97 Posts

PM sent..............
Old 03-09-2013, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

For the electronics, I have used this guy, very knowledgeable, very friendly, very fast service. He modified my OEM harness and reprogramed my computer as was needed. The harness ended up being the easiest part of my swap!
http://www.speartech.com/
Old 03-10-2013, 10:19 AM
Launching!

Welcome to the site. Not sure why you would want somebody else to do the swap for you, unless you might not have the tools or room to do it. It's not really any different than doing any other swap. The more you can do yourself, the less it will cost for the conversion. My biggest problem was thinknig it was going to be the wiring, most of it was pretty straight forward. The stuff I didn't know I found on the forumn by reading other peoples swap questions/problems. The one thing I found as the biggest problem was the brake switch /convertor wiring. But again it was on the forumn,just had to find it. Most cars are very similar in the swaps, more so when dealing with cars that are older like yours is.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:36 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

We have a tcc brake switch kit that will thread in place of the stock location, Kit-1002

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 03-10-2013, 02:04 PM
Teching In

My biggest concern is not having the proper tools to do the job. Now that I have my old engine out I'm trying to find the right adapter plates that give the correct clearence. I want to order everything at one time and get it right the first time but doesn't look like thats going to happen.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mr_Woodz
My biggest concern is not having the proper tools to do the job. Now that I have my old engine out I'm trying to find the right adapter plates that give the correct clearence. I want to order everything at one time and get it right the first time but doesn't look like thats going to happen.
If you can do that on a project, especially one like this, then you have hit the holy grail of hot rodding....
Old 03-11-2013, 11:00 AM
Teching In

Lol, well I've now accepted the reality that it won't happen and the order and return process has begun.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:56 PM
Launching!

honestly, my ls1 in my 65 impala went in like butter. I used the stock stand offs with the generic ebay conversion plated and stock engine mounts. the generic mounts were $19.

I did have to use a modded oil pan. too cheap to splurge for the $400 ones that promised to fit. if I had to do over again, I would have gone for that. the $125 weld drips a drop or so a week through the weld. not really leaking, just dark indicating oil going through the pores of the weld.

I even had a kid who was helping me put it in to show him something he would never feel again.

I welded the trans mount tabs forward, was a simple job with c channel.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:38 PM
Teching In

Got my mounts ordered and should be in tomorrow.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:25 PM
Teching In

Got my mounts today but wasn't able to do anything with the em because my camaro lost all oil pressure. Sucks cause i just had the lt1 rebuilt last year. Well hopefully it will be a simple fix and i can get back to this project.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:15 PM
Teching In

Finally got my camaro going and it back to the impala. Tried to have a set of adapter made similar to thos kwhizz used but that didn't work out to good. The guy didn't consider the mounts are on an angle so that didn't go so well. Now it's back to the drawing board. Now I'm tryint to talk a welder to stop by the house and just weld the motor stands for me.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:48 PM
Launching!

if you get a set of original mount perches you could bolt a piece of 1" stock under them as a washer and you would get more clearance.
I have an extra set of perches, you are more than welcome to them.

honestly not sure why you cant use the original ones and then the adapter plates like are on ebay. mine were cheap.

Last edited by leon phelps; 03-30-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:39 AM
Teching In

Well it's been a lil over a year now and I'm finally back to working on my swap. A broken femur gave me plenty of time to rest. Got everything in the car last night but now it seems as if its not firing. I know the main wire to the PSI harness is getting power but nothing else seems to be. We checked all fuses and they were good. I guess the ground wires would be next. Does anyone else have any suggestions?
Old 04-05-2014, 07:09 AM
Teching In

Jon from PSI comes through for another customer. Thanks Jon
Old 07-26-2014, 02:52 AM
Teching In

Default video

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fVnKxVVHG7U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quick Reply: LS powered 65 Impala