Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No oil pressure :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Default No oil pressure :(

I pulled the oil filter and cranked to for 10 seconds and got no oil from the filter port. Strange thing was the filter was filter with oil, maybe from running it for a minute earlier.
All that work now Ill have to pull it.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a gauge on it? I'd run it for a few seconds and see what happens before I pulled the motor.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do you have to pull the motor? Just take the timing cover off and remove the oil pump. Maybe a bad o ring.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blackpony
Why do you have to pull the motor? Just take the timing cover off and remove the oil pump. Maybe a bad o ring.
never did that on a ls1
Old 03-16-2013, 09:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take off the water pump and timing cover. Remove the bolt from the pickup tube (dont drop it!), replace o-ring (be sure not to pinch it). Done.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tramminc
never did that on a ls1
Originally Posted by i r teh noobz
Take off the water pump and timing cover. Remove the bolt from the pickup tube (dont drop it!), replace o-ring (be sure not to pinch it). Done.
This^^ I would suggest loosening the oil pan bolts to allow it to lower and make removing the pickup bolt easier. As stated be very cautious to not pinch the oring. And make sure it's the correct thickness. There are multiple different orings
Old 03-16-2013, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This^^ I would suggest loosening the oil pan bolts to allow it to lower and make removing the pickup bolt easier. As stated be very cautious to not pinch the oring. And make sure it's the correct thickness. There are multiple different orings
Well I know what I'm doing tomorrow
Old 03-16-2013, 10:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can u tell us if you took anything apart prior to you trying to start it ?.... has the engine been sitting and how long?

You might try using one of the preluber's..like the Melling's or others. They use a pressurized tank of oil. Try a search on the Web.. there are some articals on how to make one. ( Either a pressure one or with an old oil pump.)

I have read on here many ways of trying to get pressure... from over filling to jacking up the rear high enough to get the oil to flow up the pick up tube an get the pump to prime.

I usually well fill or pack the pump with heavy oil or grease in order to make sure the pump well prime and pull a vacumn to suck the oil up the pick tube.

Anyway... good luck.

BC
Old 03-16-2013, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tramminc
Well I know what I'm doing tomorrow
Post any questions you may have. It's a pretty easy deal. I'd suggest getting a magnet on a stick and kinda stick it in the pan near the pump so if you do drop the bolt for the pickup it will catch it.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

I agree with bczee, if you haven't had it apart then it probably isn't the o ring. Its probably that the pump is totally dry, and if it is, cranking alone wont spin it fast enough to build pressure. I had one that had sat for years and was dry and I could not get pressure so I over filled it with oil. What that does is submerges the whole pump in oil, so its no longer dry and sucking air. Itworked fine, just had to drain some oil when done. Also, I would put a mechanical gauge on it to see when you get pressure.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Post any questions you may have. It's a pretty easy deal. I'd suggest getting a magnet on a stick and kinda stick it in the pan near the pump so if you do drop the bolt for the pickup it will catch it.
Crap on top of this I just tried to put the dip stick in and it act like it's hitting something. won't go all the way in, sticks out by 4 inches. (it's not the same oil pan that came with the motor) By the way I'm setup to read the oil pressure with a aeroforce interceptor gauge, right now it reads 65874 pressure. I pull the head cover off and saw oil only on the 2 rear rockers, the other 4 and casing ar bone dry. Before I open it up I'm try a mechanical gauge.

Last edited by Tramminc; 03-17-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

You need the dipstick and tube that matches what pan you're using, they're all specific. Also, does your gauge have power while cranking? Most gauges loose power while cranking
Old 03-17-2013, 03:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

10 seconds of cranking isn't enough to do anything. Do yourself a favor and make sure you have a problem before you start tearing **** apart.

I would pull all the plugs and perform at least a dozen 10 second cranks first.

Quick Reply: No oil pressure :(