Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Developing LS conversion headers for 1st gen F-body

Old 03-18-2013, 09:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Developing LS conversion headers for 1st gen F-body

Good morning all,
I am currently developing a LS conversion full length header for the First Gen F-Body to fit the Heidts, DSE and stock sub-frame. I would like to see how many people would be interested in these headers. I'm looking for them to be done by May. If interested in a set please let me know.

On a side note I had my car on display at the Hot Rod Restoration Trade Show and I will appear on an episode of performance tv

Thanks,
Marc
G&G Performance Parts Inc & Customs
Attached Thumbnails Developing LS conversion headers for 1st gen F-body-69-bird-hrrts.jpg   Developing LS conversion headers for 1st gen F-body-69-bird-interior.jpg   Developing LS conversion headers for 1st gen F-body-69-bird-engine.jpg  
Old 03-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Staging Lane

I'd say interest would depend on what would be different from the current offerings out there, and what the price point is. Are you trying to solve a problem that current headers have (steering box clearance, etc), or just trying to put another option out there?
Old 03-18-2013, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMHO.... I would say you have a small marked for any of the Aftermarket Subframes, but most likey is needed..
As far as for standard subframes.. as BobKovacs stated.. there are many option already on the market.. so, unless you can make them better for less.. might stay out of that market.

can you post any pictures of what you have and more details on your offerings ?

BC

But good luck.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:04 PM
Teching In

I am trying to solve some of the problems that I've expirenced as well as others I've seen. The steering box and spark plug wires too close to the header and also ground clearance issues.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Since I am about to begin this swap on my 68 in a month I'll tell you what I would find attractive is a standard package that includes motor mounts, trans cross member and headers that have been tested to work together (including the range of aftermarket and modified stock F-body oil pans). I've seen this setup being offered by Speed Tech and would advise you to think along those lines if you want wide spread appeal.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

I agree with Mizzori.. complete packages are always what I recommend, stick with one Vendor/Manufactor. Mixing and Matching usually leads to problems.

So, that would be one thing to consider with designing your headers.. what compones are you designing them for.. no such thing as a one design to fit all !.. you have to cover 1" set back to what every the larges set forward (1" to 2" ?) plates that are on the market. That goes for matching the oil pan to the plates for placement of the engine location, which turns into what headers will or will not work.

Also, do the plates raise the engine ?

Many good points to consider in marking a new designed headers.

BC
Old 03-19-2013, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

I want equal length primaries and 1-7/8 options at a price point of <$500. Edelbrock used to have the right stuff, but they aren't available anymore.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You want to make a good set of headers for a first gen? I would recommend that you maximiaze the fit for different configurations. Yea you heard it right. There is absolutely no reason why a set cannot be made to clear different mount locations. There is a ton of room and there are only 2 real places you need to watch out for the idler arm and the steering box. Get a set of say dingo adjustable mounts and put the motor in the forward position mock up the headers and slide it all the way back and make sure it does not hit anywhere. Done.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:32 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys; good enough. I will take all this in consideration. I will post again with more progress.

Thanks
Old 03-21-2013, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Let us know what you come up with, as this is a good place to showcase your products.

Good Luck.. .

BC
Old 03-21-2013, 10:08 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you really want a leg up due the big inch Ls motors being offered a 1 7/8" stepped header or 2" to 2 1/8" stepped header would be great. Also think about a merge collector for additional cost.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:27 PM
Teching In

Hi everyone,

It's time for me to get some headers and I see there hasn't been any conversation in this thread. Any progress on those headers before I make a purchase? Looking at the Headman LS conversion for my 67 Firebird unless you have some news.

Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Developing LS conversion headers for 1st gen F-body