Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3/6.0 in 1987 chevy suburban 3/4 ton questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3/6.0 in 1987 chevy suburban 3/4 ton questions

like the title says i'm planning to put either a 5.3 or a 6.0 in a 1987 chevy suburban 3/4 ton 4wd, i've done a lot of reading but now i'm to the point of actually doing it and have a few questions more in the transmission department than anything. i know with a ls motor to a th400 i only use 7 bellhousing bolts and all that good stuff with the flexplates and what not (i have it wrote down somewhere still i think).

But my real question is if i go with a 4L80 would it bolt to the factory transfer case? I'm pretty sure i heard before that it will and i would just have to get a longer front driveshaft and a shorter rear driveshaft and a new crossmember. main reason i'm wondering on that is it would be nice to have an overdrive transmission in that tank for going down the highway, 4.11 gears get it wound up pretty good at 70mph.

may just stick with the th400 for now too but i would like to explore my options on it some.

also any recomended motor mounts that people have had good luck with in 70s-80s model chevy trucks? i'm assuming i'm pretty safe on oil pan selection considering theres not really an issue of ground clearance and there is plenty of room between the oil pan and axle and everything with the 350.

Are there any header options anyone has found that work well or just home made?

I know it seems like i haven't looked at all but i have done a lot of reading and searching on here and on other sites but when it comes to LS motors in 80s model chevy trucks theres not a whole lot of info and the guys on the off road sites dont quite get into the details and specifics as a lot of guys over here that i've seen.

Thanks in advance everyone, any help is appreciated.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my 85 c10 I used 1" setback mounts and that put the trans back stock. For exhaust I used 2010 Camaro manifolds they clear with tons of room. For oil pan I have a truck pan but it hangs down below the engine cross member about 1-1.5 inches. I'd suggest either an f body pan or a corvette pan to give more clearance.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks thats good to know, i'm not to worried about the oil pan being below the cross member just becasue i have a straight axle in the front that should protect it from 99% of all situations i'm going to get into with it. i'm guessing since you said the camaro manifolds fit with plenty of room a set of camaro headers should fit no problem (as long as there is no interference with the 4wd system)

Quick Reply: 5.3/6.0 in 1987 chevy suburban 3/4 ton questions