Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Race Prepping a 1981 Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Indeed true, Brian. The carousel did a number on the engine though. We spun a bearing due to oil starvation from that sustained hard right corner. Hopefully the damage isn't too bad. It's "only" a light knock, compared to last time.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's logical, but I'm surprised with the Bat-wing and Accusump that it happened.
What is your spring lift? A lot of road racers stay under .580 or so. Maybe when you add-in high spring lift I could understand it better. A spintron analysis of valve and springs would be good, too. And like your posse mentioned, adding an xtra quart is a good idea to stave-off starvation.

I'm interested to know as I have the same motor and same track.

Since I'm factory LS2, I'm considering this: http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-pa...ffle-p-40.html

Last edited by TEDSgrad; 05-05-2015 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't have an accusump yet, but will soon. Hard lesson learned, but it could have been worse. This engine is easily fixed, unlike the LS1 I grenaded last year.

In the meantime, I picked up a 5.3 for $250 so I can keep going for the summer. I'm going to take my time and redo the LS2 right.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any update as to how you are liking the EZ EFI 2.0 system?

I had planned to buy a Holley HP p/n 550-602, but the EZ EFI 2.0 p/n 30405-KIT is about a hundred less and comes with a touchscreen. It's making the decision hard given my car will never be that high power requiring the extra Holley capability, and I figure I can use the touchscreen for gauges for a while before buying gauges.

Thanks
Old 06-26-2015, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by usdmholden
Any update as to how you are liking the EZ EFI 2.0 system?

I had planned to buy a Holley HP p/n 550-602, but the EZ EFI 2.0 p/n 30405-KIT is about a hundred less and comes with a touchscreen. It's making the decision hard given my car will never be that high power requiring the extra Holley capability, and I figure I can use the touchscreen for gauges for a while before buying gauges.

Thanks
Get the Holley. I wouldn't recommend the ez efi to anyone that i liked. The build quality and QA is crap. Their online tech support/forum is impossible to join. Their Facebook contact is unresponsive. If it wasn't for the fact that the system was paid for by someone else, I would have returned it a month after getting it. But I'm stuck with it because my friend didn't buy from summit.

The issues:
1 bad map sensor
2 bad O2 sensor
3 harness to throttle body not grounded

This last item led me on an quest to fix what I thought was a bad or stuck IAC motor. Opened the tbi to clean the IAC bore, discovered pitting and voids in the casting. Made me unhappy, but not bad enough to impact tbi operation. I eventually found a bad pin in the tbi connector with a multitester after frigging 15 hours of trial and error and taking crap apart.

And you know what? It's still a royal pain to start. My carb had better manners.

Last edited by 1981TA; 06-28-2015 at 01:46 AM.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well reading that makes me happy I went with the holley, although I wish it as easier to get dialed in.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

" I was told 8 LS engines died this past weekend there at the MFBA Track Days."

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ock-build.html

It looks like an epidemic!
Old 06-29-2015, 02:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TEDSgrad

What exactly do you change to protect these engines under these types of racing conditions? Dry sump?
Old 06-29-2015, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1981TA
Get the Holley. I wouldn't recommend the ez efi to anyone that i liked. The build quality and QA is crap. Their online tech support/forum is impossible to join. Their Facebook contact is unresponsive. If it wasn't for the fact that the system was paid for by someone else, I would have returned it a month after getting it. But I'm stuck with it because my friend didn't buy from summit.

The issues:
1 bad map sensor
2 bad O2 sensor
3 harness to throttle body not grounded

This last item led me on an quest to fix what I thought was a bad or stuck IAC motor. Opened the tbi to clean the IAC bore, discovered pitting and voids in the casting. Made me unhappy, but not bad enough to impact tbi operation. I eventually found a bad pin in the tbi connector with a multitester after frigging 15 hours of trial and error and taking crap apart.

And you know what? It's still a royal pain to start. My carb had better manners.
Wow, sorry to hear about the issues. Thanks for the heads up though.

I read about the casting defect but the usability issues of hard start are a functional problem which can't be fixed more so than a bad QA problem.

I watched all the EZ-EFI 2.0 videos on yourtube and they all looked great, but I guess it was just sales pitch.

Regarding the customer service of Comp, I emailed RHS's support email about three months ago asking about the LS7 P port heads, but they never replied. I guess it will be Holley HP for me. Although the MS3 Gold box looks interesting, but maybe I'm making the selection process complicated.

Thanks
Old 06-29-2015, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know what they do, but I would research and copy one of the NASCAR spec LS engines built by Wegner / Yates. Those guys put a lot of money into R&D to make a circle track motor live WOT for a long time. I bet 90% of it is transferable to an open track or autocross car. Probably the 10% which isn't, is the part where the car turns right, which will be oil pan and oil control.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I saw at least 5 myself, mine included. Two came off the track with ventilated blocks (towed, rods out the side, oil down, the whole deal). Oil delivery seemed to be the common theme. I thought it was my issue as well, because it really did sound like a rod knock, but all the bearing areas appear to be in great shape on mine.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by usdmholden
I don't know what they do, but I would research and copy one of the NASCAR spec LS engines built by Wegner / Yates. Those guys put a lot of money into R&D to make a circle track motor live WOT for a long time. I bet 90% of it is transferable to an open track or autocross car. Probably the 10% which isn't, is the part where the car turns right, which will be oil pan and oil control.
amen there, brother. I'll be doing a lot of reading and research AND getting a accusump or dry sump before hitting RA at those speeds again
Old 06-29-2015, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Good to hear no bearing damage. I wasn't convinced it was starvation or control, so I kept silent (so I didn't sound stupid). You already have good stuff.

Check on those spring pressures I mentioned a few posts back. Lots-O-Lift on high speed track can cause oiling issues, too. Hate to see you spend lots on bottom, only to have a head problem that re-occurs.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good to hear no bearing damage. I wasn't convinced it was starvation or control, so I kept silent (so I didn't sound stupid). You already have good stuff.

Check on those spring pressures I mentioned a few posts back. Lots-O-Lift on high speed track can cause oiling issues, too. Hate to see you spend lots on bottom, only to have a head problem that re-occurs.
I didn't know enough to figure out what I was dealing with until I opened the engine, so no worries. The sad thing is that my current 5.3 junkyard engine has lasted longer on the road than the hi buck ls2 that died at RA.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check out this thread.

Really long but lots of good info.

http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.p...opic=14181&hl=

They are running a dry sump
Old 07-09-2015, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ss performance
Check out this thread.

Really long but lots of good info.

http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.p...opic=14181&hl=

They are running a dry sump
I get a login error.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is the first page of the thread

http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.p...1&st=0&start=0

it was started by BlainFab

They run an ARE dry sump on a 422" LS

To the best of my knowledge they haven't lost a motor due to oil issues.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:48 AM
Teching In

A lot of good information here. My friend is trying to talk me into getting a 79 T/A for my LS1 build since he wants the Stock drive train for his Cutty. It looks like a lot of work would be in hand getting it ready to go but definitely doable by your write up.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Uggh
A lot of good information here. My friend is trying to talk me into getting a 79 T/A for my LS1 build since he wants the Stock drive train for his Cutty. It looks like a lot of work would be in hand getting it ready to go but definitely doable by your write up.
What kind of drive train is in the 79 and what parts of the drive train do you get to use from the donor car? I started out with the stock th350 in my car and it worked very well.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:17 AM
Teching In

I would basically get nothing from the drive train. He wants it all for his Cutlass. I have an LS1 with T-56 sitting here ready to be assembled I just have to make the final decision on chassis.

Quick Reply: Road Race Prepping a 1981 Trans Am