Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lsx foxbody mustang swap guru's

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lsx foxbody mustang swap guru's

Ok, so I'm researching everything before I pull the trigger..
I've got a 91 4 cyl notch.
Planning on either a 5.3 or 6.0 depending on what I can find.
I plan on modding the stock harness, using the upr solid motor mounts with the 4.6 mounts, and the lh8 oil pan. A th350 with a 3200 stall.
Possibly the truck intake will if fit under the hood?

Vette fuel filter/regulator with the -6 an adapters and lines.
as for the trans crossmember I was gonna mod the factory ford one to work. Untill I get subframe connectors and build a stronger one.
the car is a factory auto car, and I would like to try and mod the stock shifter bracket to mount to the th350. Any ideas on this?

Which stock exhaust manifolds will clear the trans?
Which wires do you use under the hood to connect to the starter, meaning which wires off the ford solenoid?

My main goal is to get the car under its own power as cheap as possible then slowly chip away at the little things to get the speedo working, tach, and other guages working.

Anything else I should keep an eye out for?
Thanks.

Last edited by 1fastlsxnotch; 03-27-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:52 AM
Staging Lane

Its all been done just search away and read for hours
Old 03-28-2013, 11:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lebedin8654
Its all been done just search away and read for hours
Lol have been researching this on and off for a long time.
Some of the things I was asking about I haven't seen posted much.
Worse case it takes me a few extra days to figure it out on my own.
Just haven't seen many that use the stock k member on notch, with stock exhaust manifolds "pointing to the rear", ect.
Everyone is running teamz, aje, ect for kmembers, swap headers, not a lot of detail on some of the smaller items to complete the fox swap.

Sorry for the noob questions.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not a search button ****.. pm me your questions and I'll do my best to help you out. I've done a few swaps
Old 03-28-2013, 12:54 PM
Teching In

I really like the brp mounts and ctv pan used on a stock k-member. The only problem with that is the mounts are 500.00 and the pan is 200.00 or more! I am putting together parts for my 5.3 fox build and am having problems getting a clear answer for what K-member works best on a budget. Not really wanting to spend 800.00 on swapping k-member, coil overs, cc plates, etc. I want to use the stock intake and oil pan for now. My car is not lowered, and an intake swap is not in my budget. I have a pair of 2010 Camaro manifolds that I've heard work well for the swap. I'm gonna keep looking for more answers!

Last edited by svtgearhead; 03-28-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:29 PM
12 Second Club

I personally wouldnt use the stock kmember.for the price of mounts plus pan you can buy the aje k member,upper spring perches and trans crossmember.
Youll also gain more room and lose weight.iirc I read some where 2010 camaro manifolds work.id assume fbody ones would as well. For the fuel system your plan will be sufficient for up to 500 hp from the research ive done the vette filter is the ussue.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:43 PM
Teching In

I may use the aje k-member and perches so I can reuse the springs and control arms. I have read about needing a bump steering kit due to rack mounting position?
Old 03-28-2013, 05:12 PM
Teching In

I am no expert by any means but im pretty sure i saw a thread were a guy used the stock 4 cyl k member with solid homemade mounts. I have no idea what headers he ran but im pretty sure you could fab up solid mounts fairly easily with any kind of experience in that field. I am gonna try the pan mentioned earlier the gm hot rod pan or whatever I dont have the gm part # handy but could get for you if needed. If your a few weeks out from buying a k member or mounts I could take some pics when i fab mine up I am going to try to run solid mounts with 351w headers with the gm hot rod pan I am certain the pan will hang below the stock k member. If I remember correctly you cannot fit the truck intake under the stock hood but could be wrong. I hope someone chimes in that knows this info for sure but I will be glad to take some pics if you are going to be a few weeks before purchasing a k member
Old 03-28-2013, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by justincracker
I am no expert by any means but im pretty sure i saw a thread were a guy used the stock 4 cyl k member with solid homemade mounts. I have no idea what headers he ran but im pretty sure you could fab up solid mounts fairly easily with any kind of experience in that field. I am gonna try the pan mentioned earlier the gm hot rod pan or whatever I dont have the gm part # handy but could get for you if needed. If your a few weeks out from buying a k member or mounts I could take some pics when i fab mine up I am going to try to run solid mounts with 351w headers with the gm hot rod pan I am certain the pan will hang below the stock k member. If I remember correctly you cannot fit the truck intake under the stock hood but could be wrong. I hope someone chimes in that knows this info for sure but I will be glad to take some pics if you are going to be a few weeks before purchasing a k member

I'd be interested in seeing how yours is done. If your mounts work good enough I might have to pm you lol. I really don't wanna buy an aftermarket k-member right off the bat, may sound dumb but I'd rather spend less money to get the motor in and drivable then later on put one in.
The reason for the stock exhaust manifolds is I may go boosted later on down the road. I wouldn't have a problem shaving down a stock truck intake manifold as long as I had a spare.
My other concern/problem is that I live in utah. So what ever I use either the 5.3l or the 6.0l I'm gonna be down on power. Especially with the 5.3. I'd really prefer to be at the 300whp with as little mods as possible then hit it with a cam, and spray later on down the road. With the 6.0l I'm sure that goal will be alot easier even on a stock cam. The only issue is the availability of the 6.0 with the budget.

Sorry for rambling. lol
Old 03-28-2013, 06:03 PM
Teching In

Well I will get some pics when I fab mine up I already have a block on the stand to mock up with so weather permitting I will try to get some time next week. The solid mounts will make things a little rough than if you had bushings there but will make it much easier to get in with stock K member I believe. I will find out soon enough. One thing you should think of is what your budget is also. I know this is repeated all of the time but you really need to make a detailed list then factor in a few extra thousand for the stuff that pops up going fuel injection with the stock ecm can be expensive unless you happen into some great deals even if you stay with a stock engine up front youll still have to get the computer flashed. Im sure you know this but figured Id mention it. Like I said I am no expert but Ill be glad to snap the pics when I do it which will hopefully be soon
Old 03-28-2013, 08:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1fastlsxnotch
I'd be interested in seeing how yours is done. If your mounts work good enough I might have to pm you lol. I really don't wanna buy an aftermarket k-member right off the bat, may sound dumb but I'd rather spend less money to get the motor in and drivable then later on put one in.
The reason for the stock exhaust manifolds is I may go boosted later on down the road. I wouldn't have a problem shaving down a stock truck intake manifold as long as I had a spare.
My other concern/problem is that I live in utah. So what ever I use either the 5.3l or the 6.0l I'm gonna be down on power. Especially with the 5.3. I'd really prefer to be at the 300whp with as little mods as possible then hit it with a cam, and spray later on down the road. With the 6.0l I'm sure that goal will be alot easier even on a stock cam. The only issue is the availability of the 6.0 with the budget.

Sorry for rambling. lol
I am also trying to attempt this swap with a small out of pocket expense. My main reason is I'm a poor family man and I have this ford freak friend that keeps telling me how much more it will cost for a 5.3 swap than if I used a h/c/I 5.0. So I will be frugal, but I want things right and don't want a cobbled mess.

Last edited by svtgearhead; 03-28-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:17 PM
Teching In

SVT, If you wanted to im sure you can make the stock k member work as I have seen it on here with home made mounts if you didnt want solid mount i believe you could plate the k member and mount the early small block mounts and make an adapter from that motor mount to the lsx or just buy one that way you would have a decent mount and if you ever wanted to go back with an better one they are readily available the only negative i see is the height the motor would sit at i guess someone would have to try that and see i know those mounts are like $10 each at most part stores plus the cost of the steel plate to fab the rest this would be much cheaper than buying a k member
Old 03-28-2013, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by justincracker
SVT, If you wanted to im sure you can make the stock k member work as I have seen it on here with home made mounts if you didnt want solid mount i believe you could plate the k member and mount the early small block mounts and make an adapter from that motor mount to the lsx or just buy one that way you would have a decent mount and if you ever wanted to go back with an better one they are readily available the only negative i see is the height the motor would sit at i guess someone would have to try that and see i know those mounts are like $10 each at most part stores plus the cost of the steel plate to fab the rest this would be much cheaper than buying a k member
Thanks for the info Justin. It may a month or so before I can really start working on the engine fitment. Right now I'm fixing rust holes and gathering parts. I will keep an eye on future posts!
Old 03-28-2013, 10:44 PM
Teching In

I hear people talk about using the vette fuel filter or the return-less setup. Is everyone switching to the LS1 intake/ fuel rail/ injectors, because the vortec rail has a return line and must use 2 lines?
I was looking on the brp site and the mount kit for 500.00 comes with mounting plates, mounts, cross member and looks like a decent deal for everything that's included. I've heard the engine sits high w/ the brp setup though.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:54 PM
Teching In

The BRP kit doesn't seem like all that great of a deal to me. I am working on putting a 6.0 in to an '83 mustang. I bought the Team Z K-member and mount kit, and a CTSV oil pan. Team Z parts are $380-ish, and the oil pan, pickup, dipstick, and tube were $185. You can re-use the windage tray if you are using a truck motor.

For a TH350, you can use a stock mustang trans crossmember- no need for an aftermarket one. The BRP one doesn't look clearanced for exhaust like the factory mustang double hump crossmember. QA1 spring perches fit the Team Z k-member if you want to run stock A-arms- I have used them before too.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

You can also get a 4.6 mustang kmember and bolt that in the 4.6 mounts are really close you can either mod them or buy a set. Does the car still have a cable driven speedo? If so its part number 6800 http://www.transmissioncenter.org/speedometer_cable.htm
Old 03-29-2013, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

the GM Musclecar pan, H3, LH8 pan does work with the fox kmember. I have a set of custom DD mounts and 4.6 engine mounts and it fits perfect. Using a MAC 351 Swap headers with LS flanges. pan hangs level with the kmember.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:50 PM
Teching In

I have a 90 Notch that I am in the process of doing my first LSX swap. I want to stick with the stock Ford guages. I have a solution for all of the guages except the speedometer. I will be using a 4L60e or a 4L80e, I am leaning on the 4L80e right now due to its strength, and my plans for turbo in the future. Does anyone have any inexpensive ideas on a solution for the electronic signal the GM trans puts out and the mechanocal speedometer in the Mustang? I am trying to do this on the cheap, also looking for an LS6 intake if anyone has one they want to get rid of.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:10 AM
Teching In

I used my stock 4 cyl. k-member, with even the stock truck oil pan with no mods done to it. With some time spent fabracting thins a couple times to get it right you can do anything. I am now in the process of mocking up my own custom headers. Luckly I work for a company that does tube bending so for me it is really not a big deal. I am just using pvc piping to mock everything up then I will bend the real tubes. should have them all done within the text week or so. I hope.

5.3Notch- I am putting in a GPS style speedo in my notch. Not exactly the cheapest but they work great and are always correct. No worries of tire size, gear ratio, and any thing else that alway seams to screw it up.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:15 AM
Teching In

you wont be able to use a stock manifold, because of the break booster and steering post. those two make it really fun.

Quick Reply: Lsx foxbody mustang swap guru's