Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

205 Temperture ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 07:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 205 Temperture ???

I just fininshed my LS1 swap into a 70 Chevelle. I have started it and drove it a few times now and continue to run at 205 degrees on the temp gauge. I am using a aluminum radiator for a 2002 Camaro with the 2 fans also from a Camaro. I also replaced thermostat to a new 186 degree thermostat. Is 205 degrees hot for the LS motor? Should I be running an overflow tank because the radiator will drain some coolant when it comes up to temp? How should I get it to run cooler if 205 is to hot?
Old 03-31-2013, 07:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

205 is more than ok, stock settings have the engine run 210-230.

If you want it cooler, then you'll have to get a 160* thermostat and have the fans come on much sooner.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can use the 186* T-stat, but you will alson need the Fans Low/High setting to match the T-Stat.. I have a 180* in my Chevelle, I hae the fans comeon Low=180 and the High=200.

BC
Old 04-01-2013, 05:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

An overflow bottle is always a good idea to keep from sucking air back into the radiator everytime the motor cools down. I made one out of a stainless steel water bottle.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bczee
You can use the 186* T-stat, but you will alson need the Fans Low/High setting to match the T-Stat.. I have a 180* in my Chevelle, I hae the fans comeon Low=180 and the High=200.

BC
Is the cars running temp 180 or higher? When I went to the parts store they said they only make a 186 t-stat, I guess that's not true. Do you have a any info brand, P/N or link to purchase one on line? Thanks
Old 04-01-2013, 08:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Have any of you thought about gutting the t-stat completely? Its an idea i've been playing with anyways.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sweet_SS
Have any of you thought about gutting the t-stat completely? Its an idea i've been playing with anyways.
Not a good idea on a car that sees the street. The thermostat allows the coolant to absorb heat from the engine, while at the same time dissipate heat in the radiator. If the restriction is gone, it will eventually get hot from not having ample time in the rakdiator to cool. I hope that makes since. On another note, if you could get by without it, look at the money automakers would save.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are you taking your reading from? You will get a 10-15 degree higher reading from the thermostat to the back of the head.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KY Nova
Not a good idea on a car that sees the street. The thermostat allows the coolant to absorb heat from the engine, while at the same time dissipate heat in the radiator. If the restriction is gone, it will eventually get hot from not having ample time in the rakdiator to cool. I hope that makes since. On another note, if you could get by without it, look at the money automakers would save.
I figured it would be a constant flow and not having to wait for the t-stat to open up at a certain temp...taking longer to get hot. Maybe I'm wrong!!! However, I removed the t-stat in my DSM with an AFCO radiator and one 900 CFM fan. That car never ran hot. Stayed below 190 with the turbo sitting right next to the radiator. The only thing is the heater wouldn't get hot like it should, but that was to be expected and I don't drive these cars in the winter anyways.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

alaninin - As long as my car is moving, it stays around the 180-190* Range. If I am in Bumper to Bumper Traffic, it might run in the 205-210 range but cools down once I get moving again.

The T-Stat has to main functions, one is to keep the engine at it programed operating temp by keeping the flow restrictued until the engine reaches operating temp. And to act as a restriction.

I would not recommend gutting the T-Stat.. as noted above it offer a restriction that is needed. Without it, the coolant would move through the engine too quickly and not have enough time to absorb the heat and draw it away from the engine to be cooled in the Radiator.

Some have driilled holes in the T-Stat to keep flow occuring in low temp or have used used designed restricter (looks like a washer but to fit in place of the T-Stat). Electrical water pump are designed to keep a constant flow of water.

And as always.. there are people out there that have had success with removing the T-Stat.. and will tell you to remove it. But those would be the abnormal.. but if it works for them, great.. but don't always expect it to work for you. You always try it.

BC
Old 04-01-2013, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was only going to gut the spring out...leaving the rest for some kind of restriction is all. I'm in your same boat. Car is between 201-205 cruising and 210-212 sitting in traffic in 70 degree weather.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Removing the thermostat means your engine will take too long to warm up and may run too cold, not too hot. The idea that water can move through the radiator too fast to cool is an internet myth. Simply not true. The whole process is complicated and can depend on many things, but generally the faster you can move water through the cooling system the greater heat capacity it will have.

Quick Reply: 205 Temperture ???