Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F or X body with low mount ac

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 06:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default F or X body with low mount ac

looking at my nova i do not believe i have enough room to clear my factory swaybar with the factory low mount ac compressor (preferably vette acces.) on the passenger side.

Does anyone have info on this setup?

Thanks, Rich.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nuckifuts
looking at my nova i do not believe i have enough room to clear my factory swaybar with the factory low mount ac compressor (preferably vette acces.) on the passenger side.

Does anyone have info on this setup?

Thanks, Rich.
you will need to notch your subframe, but it will fit. Kwik and Vintage air both sell high mounts for a sanden style compressor, mounts it high on the pass side. I've used the Kwik Bracket on an A body, but it would clear on an F/X. If you want to keep it low, notching is your only option. Beware the LS variable vane A/C compressor is not compatible with aftermarket or stock 60/70s A/C systems.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm assuming you know that you won't clear the subframe either. BRP and a few others make a notch plate for the subframe. Not sure about the swaybar clearance.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

I put a Denso 10S17 compressor from an '07 Silverado (many years are interchangeable) in the stock location on my LY6. I had to notch the frame and space the swaybar (1-1/8" OD) down 1/2". Depending on what mounts you use, you may encounter difference clearances. I am using Dougs SK100 adapters with 1/2" setback.

Here are some random photos & copy-paste from my build thread.

mocked up the accessories:

Notice how low the AC bracket sits where the tensioner attaches at the bottom. I unfortunately didn't take any photos, but when I was mocking things up I did a test fit of the sway bar and it interfered with that part of the bracket. To remedy, I through some washers under the sway bar mount to bring it down and was able to get enough clearance. So now I am following up with a more permanent solution - some aluminum spacers. I made these out of 1/2" aluminum (nevermind the temporary hardware - I need to get some socket cap screws to fit these properly)

With the spacers, here is where the swaybar sits relative to the notches in the frame:

It's hard to see, but there is still a small clearance between the bottom of the bar and the middle of the frame. I have a feeling the bar may rub here when the bushings distort under load, but not enough to hurt anything.

Now doing this is not without penalty of course. There is a 1/2" reduction in clearance between the sway bar mounts and the lower control arm. To see if it limited up travel, I tried jacking the car up by the control arm. Because there is little weight on the front of the car, the bump stop hardly compressed.

So next I removed the bumpstop and jacked the arm up until it made contact. Not surprisingly, the lower control arm hit the sway bar bracket.

In this position I measured about 1/2" of gap where the bump stop goes.

There is more info on the notching these posts: 231, 247, 250, 266, 285, 290.

And tidbits of info throughout my build thread here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...00-6-0vvt.html

Last edited by -TheBandit-; 04-02-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by c6matt
Beware the LS variable vane A/C compressor is not compatible with aftermarket or stock 60/70s A/C systems.
I was told the same thing when i swapped my 93 mustang. The AC was 40 degrees in FL heat.

Not saying that means it will work again but i will allready have a compressor and i have to notch the frame anyway.

Great pics and info Bandit, very helpful.

The reason for needing a low mount is eventually i want to go with A&A Vortech YSI brackets.

Quick Reply: F or X body with low mount ac