Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 S10 6.0 Complete Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 08:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 S10 6.0 Complete Rebuild

Hi everyone. I'm finally starting my s10 project and thought I'd also start my build thread. I'm also going to have one at s10forum.com but I am still waiting for my account to be activated. Anyways, I just picked up a 98 s10 for $450. Not in the best shape. But I was really wanting it for the straight frame and the cab basically. It is a regular cab 2wd short bed. I have a lot of plans for this truck but for now it is being parted out. Everything is up for sale minus the frame, cab, fenders, ecu, and headlights.

The truck is being stripped all the way down, and completely rebuilt, frame up. Very few items that go back on will be used. The goal with this truck is to have an extremely nice truck with show quality detail that will have no problem shredding some tires. I have pretty much weekends only to work on this, I'm shooting to have this project done for Super Chevy of 2014, which here in Memphis is usually mid April. But I'm not going to screw **** up trying to rush it.

I have already started collecting a few parts but here are the plans:

Engine - 6.0 LQ4/LQ9, still looking for one, lkqonline has them for around $1000 i think with 6 month warranty and free shipping. But dont need it right now and will be a couple months before I do. But once got, will remain stock until the truck is complete and running. After, power will be added. also running mounts from CurrentPerformance. I will be leaving the stock oil pan and will notch out the crossmember and will also be leaving the stock a/c compressor and will have to also notch for that.

Transmission - Still debating, will definitely be automatic. I have a 4L60E sitting around but unsure about reliablity with the 6.0. Feedback?

Cooling - I've read I can use a stock V6 radiator from s-series can be used but not sure it will hold after i start adding power. And I hate to skimp in that area so Ill probably go with something little bigger, I just need it to fit inside the radiator core for the best fitment possible. And I've been told summit has some flexible radiator hoses, does anyone have any feedback on theses? do they holdup? and of course electric fan setup, and will probably run ls2 water pump.

Exhaust - will have custom exhaust done by local muffler shop, will have 2 electric cutouts. also will probably be running CurrentPerformance headers.

Interior-charcoal/graphite conversion, power windows/locks conversion, cruise control addition, will retain a/c. I will not trade my a/c for anything. I have a center console/auto shifter from the blazers. I also have a sunroof/light switch from the blazers. trying to get a graphite double din from blazers. will also be fabricating 6 point roll cage. will be upgrading all stereo components and adding a small 10" sub behind driver side. and behind passenger seat will have space for my nitrous bottle that will be added after the truck is complete. for my gauges, the stock cluster is going and a custom gauge setup will be made.

Exterior - 4" cowl hood, ss bumper, roll pan, will be doing the "dually effect" conversion, I like it plus allows me for a wider tire, and a sunroof. will have 35% tint all over front windshield, and 5% elsewhere. once i order all new glass i will be taking them to have tinted before they go in the truck.

Rear End- So far the plan is to put a Ford 8.8" rear from an explorer with 4.10s. Depending on how everything sits, might have to have custom driveshaft made, not sure yet.

Wiring - I know CurrentPerformance has custom wiring harness for the s-series platform but I'm not too sure I'm willing to spend $800+ on something I'm pretty confident I can do. The plan is to modify my harnesses to work everything, then after all the kinks are worked out, I will build a custom harness from scratch.

Suspension - Havent really gave this much thought, I know it will be dropped a little but not sure I can really mess with the front until I get the motor in and see how much it drops.

Wheels/Tires - I am going with some 15" Weld Pro Stars. Probably 15x4 or 15x5 in the front and for the rear, its around 15x12. Haven't decided on tires yet.

Saturday the teardown is starting but I also will not be able to get too much done in next couple weeks due to helping my father build his shop behind his house. But anyways, here are the goods: Oh if the images are too big, someone tell me how to reduce them? They look a little big on my side.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is my next project. Take a look at sprayed99's S10. It is one of the cleanest I have seen in some time. You can also do a quick search for others builds. A 4L60E will do fine behind the 6.0 if the plan is to be a driver and not a racer. There are a variety of accessory drive configurations out there to retain the AC, some require notching the PS frame rail. In short go for it! Ask lots of questions and use a proven combination of parts. As you will learn not all parts play well together.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:54 PM
Teching In

Is his build on here? I tried looking for it

Today I had planned on stripping the truck but I stopped by a new junkyard and just happen to stumble across a 2000 z28 with a complete top to bottom ls1. Ended up pulling it and paid $425 for it. The only thing that scares me is the fact there is nice chunk missing on the bottom of the oil pan. The car was wrecked in the front and in the rear so hopefully thats all it is. The crank is pretty free and does turn, made half a dozen turns no problem. I wasn't really planning on going with an aluminum block, but plans might change, just depends on what condition this is. Included in the $425, I also snagged the wiring harness and ecu. So tomorrow the truck stripping will began!

Old 04-07-2013, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I suggest pulling the pan for sure to have a look around. Pull a main cap and a rod cap. If you see copper, STOP. At that point I would recommend having a competent engine shop assess the damage. Otherwise, clean it up, hang a good pan and give it a shot.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:09 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to see that you had some back luck with the engine. But it may still be good hopefully!

You have a good plan going on your truck. We also offer plug and play s10 harnesses. Remember that to properly build a complete harness and use the proper tooling you will have way more invested than the cost of purchasing a built harness.

Ill be watching your thread, and hopefully that engine is good to go!

Bill

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 04-07-2013, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would pull the pan and cut open the oil filter before pulling a main or rod cap. The bolts a TTA and are not suppose to be reused.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BP Automotive
Sorry to see that you had some back luck with the engine. But it may still be good hopefully!

You have a good plan going on your truck. We also offer plug and play s10 harnesses. Remember that to properly build a complete harness and use the proper tooling you will have way more invested than the cost of purchasing a built harness.

Ill be watching your thread, and hopefully that engine is good to go!

Bill
Y'all have a harness that will run everything in the cab? About what would that run me?
Old 04-07-2013, 12:55 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Houston Wyatt
Y'all have a harness that will run everything in the cab? About what would that run me?
Yes, it will run everything. There are a few connections that will have to make because C4 on the PCM on your year s10 is part of the wiper harness and not the engine harness.

The harness for your application with electric fan wiring is $700

We use production tooling and the proper cross linked XLPE wire that is GM color coded with the proper tracer colors. Thanks for your interest!

Bill

LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 04-07-2013, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BP Automotive
Yes, it will run everything. There are a few connections that will have to make because C4 on the PCM on your year s10 is part of the wiper harness and not the engine harness.

The harness for your application with electric fan wiring is $700

We use production tooling and the proper cross linked XLPE wire that is GM color coded with the proper tracer colors. Thanks for your interest!

Bill
I gotcha. I'll keep it in mind. It'll be a little while before I'm in need of the harness.

Today I got little bit done. Got the front cap off and the bed. Not much but clear the way for the motor, hopefully might pull it tomorrow after work.

Last edited by Houston Wyatt; 04-07-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:03 PM
Teching In

So I didnt have much time today but I did pull the pan, we see no shavings but there are couple issues we see. First up is that there was water in the motor at some point, a weight on the crank is rusted. Some walls have some surface rust.. And a lobe on the cam is rusted.. But the whole thing turns pretty good, no hangups. Not sure exactly whats going to happen, I got someone coming to look at it more for me tomorrow. Will probably pull a couple rod caps and main caps.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:12 PM
Launching!

if youre going to use a 4l80E with this build, a driveshaft from a 2003 ranger with a 4 cyl and an automatic has a 51" driveshaft from center of u joint to center of u joint. go to napa and get a part number 355 conversion u joint and a yolk from a 4x4 trailblazer out the back of the transfer case fits on the u joint. took me alot of scavenging and scrounging the pick n pull to find that because i wasnt paying 300$ to have one made. i have jags that run conversion mounts and s10v8.com solid mounts with the motor all the way forward. hope this helps you as i did this on my own...
Old 04-10-2013, 08:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FakeSnake
if youre going to use a 4l80E with this build, a driveshaft from a 2003 ranger with a 4 cyl and an automatic has a 51" driveshaft from center of u joint to center of u joint. go to napa and get a part number 355 conversion u joint and a yolk from a 4x4 trailblazer out the back of the transfer case fits on the u joint. took me alot of scavenging and scrounging the pick n pull to find that because i wasnt paying 300$ to have one made. i have jags that run conversion mounts and s10v8.com solid mounts with the motor all the way forward. hope this helps you as i did this on my own...
Nice!! Although I am probably going with the 4L60E I have lying around, I wil def keep that in mind.

Late last night I got the motor and trans pulled. Little bit more involved than what a 4 banger should be. lol. I thought the wiring would never end. Anyway, next up is to strip the interior.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:18 PM
Teching In

Small update -
-Sold the 5.7 ls1 this morning. Decided I didnt want to take the risk with that motor. Bought it for $425, sold it for $850, pretty good if ya ask me. And that will get me my 6.0 from lkq for $800-900 with a 6 month warranty!
-Stripped the whole interior minus the dash and steering column, havent been able to work on it much due to bad weather and working alot trying to finish up a 71 chevelle.
-Was going with some 15" pro stars, but i got a great deal on 6 xtreme wheels, 2 were given to me by a good friend, and the other 4 i got for $100!! with good tires mounted on them!! decided im going to run 295/50/16 drs on a pair of them. ill get some pics soon.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:48 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Making some progress!

For some reason when I mentioned the harness I was thinking you had the 4.3. Your harness will be plug and play because the 2.2 used a different PCM.

Keep up the good work!!

sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 04-13-2013, 08:10 AM
Launching!

Looks good man and yea that was a pretty good flip on the ls1

Quick Reply: 98 S10 6.0 Complete Rebuild