Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock harness verses aftermarket options

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 10:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock harness verses aftermarket options

As I get closer to getting to the wiring of my project I keep changing my mind on how I would like to go. Opened this up for the Guys that have been through it for their comments.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

Depends on how good you are with wiring, the condition of the stock harness, and any changes you need to make.

I had enough stuff going on during my swap that the last thing I needed to be learning was how to re-wire a stock harness. I made one phone call and got a new harness from PSI that only required me to drill a hole in the firewall, plug in a bunch of connectors, and connect 10 wires under the dash. The engine fired up on the first try, with no check engine codes, etc.

I value my time way too much to spend hours researching how to mod a harness, then spend hours untangling, re-wiring, and re-wrapping the harness, just to end up with 10-year old connectors and wire (both in appearance and in wear/tear) that might or might not work on the first shot. The PSI harness was a great investment in that respect.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

A lot of it also depends on what harness you have to begin with and where you plan on mounting your ECM.

Mine was an LS1 with harness for manual trans which is exactly what I needed. The F-body LS1 harness is damn near stand alone already. It's very easy to modify. Any of the other harnesses are much more difficult from what I've seen. It all depends on how much time you have to mess with it.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with what the others have said, I modified a truck harness the first time. I should have kept track of how long it took, probably had 30 hours in it if you include research time and everything. I could probably do the next one in half the time but I don't want to. I ordered a stand alone BP auto harness a few days ago, I feel it was worth the investment.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:18 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went between the two options.
I had Bill at BP Automotive on here redo my stock truck harness.
Doesn't look like the same harness at all, and looks excellent.
His level of customer service needs to be passed along to other business', as it would make life much easier.
I have used new Painless harness' before, and Bill's looks to be better, for a fraction of the cost.
My time is worth more than what it takes to redo a harness, so Bill got the job.

Martin
Old 04-09-2013, 10:23 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bowtie316
I agree with what the others have said, I modified a truck harness the first time. I should have kept track of how long it took, probably had 30 hours in it if you include research time and everything. I could probably do the next one in half the time but I don't want to. I ordered a stand alone BP auto harness a few days ago, I feel it was worth the investment.
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin
I went between the two options.
I had Bill at BP Automotive on here redo my stock truck harness.
Doesn't look like the same harness at all, and looks excellent.
His level of customer service needs to be passed along to other business', as it would make life much easier.
I have used new Painless harness' before, and Bill's looks to be better, for a fraction of the cost.
My time is worth more than what it takes to redo a harness, so Bill got the job.

Martin
Thanks so much to both of you guys! I try to keep my prices reasonable! The cost for a base stand alone harness 4 wire hookup with your fuel pump and ignition power relays with the proper fusing is $450. I have many options too, not just a cookie cutter harness.

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 04-09-2013, 10:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

All how much you know and how motivated you are..I have done all of mine in my swaps. Pretty easy when you understand the fundamentals.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

I did the wiring on my build and and got the car running but would randomly die, so instead of trying to figure what kind of mess I made, I ordered a painless ls1 hotrod harness, much easier, and it comes with auto or manual trans connectors which is great since I would like to eventually put a auto later on
Old 04-10-2013, 04:58 PM
Teching In

How about stock ECMs verses aftermarket ECMs, how many tunes does it take to get the stock ECM working with a modified harness and some aftermarket parts on engines
Old 04-10-2013, 06:11 PM
11 Second Club

How many tunes? Usually one with a good tuner. Alftermarket vs stock harness is no different..it's wiring transmitting power, ground, or a signal.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:13 PM
11 Second Club

I ordered mine from Bill@BPAutomotive - stand up guy, great to work with and a blast to talk to. He and I BS about guns and hunting more than anything. Sometime near the end of the conversation we'll discuss car stuff Wouldn't hesitate ordering from him in the future!
Old 04-10-2013, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

heres a link if u decide if u want to tackle it yourself http://www.lt1swap.com/wiringharness.htm
Old 04-10-2013, 10:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

You can't go wrong with either PSI or BP for one very huge reason. TECH SUPPORT!! I can't emphasize that enough. I purchased a harness from a less than stellar company and paid a price in aggravation. This was my first install and the harness was miss-marked which began a whole chain of events that left me frustrated.....and broke. If this is your first install, do yourself a favor. PSI or BP.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS5.3stang
heres a link if u decide if u want to tackle it yourself http://www.lt1swap.com/wiringharness.htm
Alot of info there..combine it with this..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...o-lt1-car.html

Quick Reply: Stock harness verses aftermarket options