Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smog legal swap Q&A

Old 04-10-2013, 11:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Smog legal swap Q&A

I am completing a smog legal swap in Cali.
1977 Jeep Cherokee with 6.0 Vortec and 4L60E. I'm in Cali and plan on doing this smog legal. I have come across a couple similar threads, but no real answers except call your local referee and ask them. I have tried that twice and, at least the refs I call, won't speak to you. They say you must come in with the vehicle for them to see. This makes sense, but I am trying to minimize my trips to the ref and have everything in order prior to going to the ref. Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

What you are trying to do is possible but difficult. If it is not too late I would strongly urge you to start with a 75 or older vehicle. I have done 11 major swaps in California and the first one was the only one I did that wasn't smog exempt. I never got it referree'd and learned my lesson after that. PM me for some ideas about this even if you think it is too late. There are some creative ways to achieve this.

If it is too late then yes you are right. You will have to have it complete before they will even look at it. I believe you will need to make at least 2 trips to the BAR. Make sure you have every emissions related component you can think of, including an airtight gas cap, cannister, EGR system, etc. Make sure you have a DAL port. Try to be as friendly and as compliant as possible but don't hesitate to politely raise an issue if you think you are being railroaded.

Good luck!
Old 04-10-2013, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah.. it is really not a good thing going with them Refs... you get different answer from one tech to another tech. Some have a good understanding and other seem way off the wall on their understanding of the CA smog swap laws.

Best I can do is point you to this link
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...uidelines.html

But if you have everything from the donor car/truck.. and everything is in place and working.. you should be ok.

Cats needs to be close to the OEM location. Fuel Tank needs to have all of the equipment there and working. HVAP needs to work, etc..

What the guide lines don't state is up for interpretation by you and the Ref/Tech...which can cause the problem. Suggest you walk in and talk to a few different shops where the Ref works. if you find one that is willing to work with you and has the right answers your looking for. .use him.. !

I have been consider doing one.. and have asked many questions before and tryied to look up as much as I can from the DMV Site.

Good Luck.

BC

BC
Old 04-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks. Unfortunately it is too late to change vehicles, since I am basically finished with the swap. I guess I'll just make the first trip to the ref and see what he says. I have everything you mentioned,except maybe an airtight gas cap and my set up doesn't seem to have an EGR system (2005 GMC Denali). I'll keep my fingers crossed and I'll PM you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Smog legal swap Q&A