Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Griffin LS Swap Radiators

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 08:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Griffin LS Swap Radiators

Any LS swap guys running one of Griffin's combo units? I am looking at one for my Nova project but haven't seen a whole lot of feedback on these. Price seems right as a complete unit with dual spal fans, shroud, wiring, cap complete is $550 shipped. Looks like a nice unit from the few pics I have seen. This is basically the same radiator just without the inlet/outlet steam vent port setup up on the same side. Opinions?
http://www.griffinrad.com/combo_unit.cfm

Name:  CU-00010-01.jpg
Views: 3514
Size:  35.9 KB
Name:  CU-00008-01.jpg
Views: 4036
Size:  35.9 KB
Old 04-10-2013, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SlvrSierra4.8
Any LS swap guys running one of Griffin's combo units? I am looking at one for my Nova project but haven't seen a whole lot of feedback on these. Price seems right as a complete unit with dual spal fans, shroud, wiring, cap complete is $550 shipped. Looks like a nice unit from the few pics I have seen. This is basically the same radiator just without the inlet/outlet steam vent port setup up on the same side. Opinions?
http://www.griffinrad.com/combo_unit.cfm

I love mine but I havent installed it yet, looks great though i didnt get a cap with mine
Name:  DSCN09351.jpg
Views: 3330
Size:  64.5 KB
Old 04-10-2013, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

I installed one in my 69 Camaro. It bolted right up to the stock holes, and the finish was very good. Haven't got her on the road yet, so I can't say how it works, but I don't foresee any issues.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:52 AM
TECH Resident

Appreciate the feedback, anybody know what kind of warranties these have? Have seen a handful of threads with complaints about leaks and about tanks being epoxied in place vs. welded? Don't know how much truth there is to that this tho?
Old 04-11-2013, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SlvrSierra4.8
Appreciate the feedback, anybody know what kind of warranties these have? Have seen a handful of threads with complaints about leaks and about tanks being epoxied in place vs. welded? Don't know how much truth there is to that this tho?
I have been considering one without fans for my Nova as well. My main question was if they use the factory radiator support top bracket like a small block radiator or if the bolt to the core support like a big block radiator. I dont see how it can be the latter since there are no brackets/ mounts in the pictures.

Here is a good write up on Griffin radiators: http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...mmersRadReview

"A lot of so-called manufacturers (most of whom are actually just "assemblers") like to make a big deal about not using any epoxy in their construction. The thinly-veiled insinuation is that those who do are somehow using an inferior process to "glue" the radiator together. If you don't know any better, they make it sound as if the mere mention of epoxy signals some cheap throw-away product. What they don't bother explaining is what epoxy use is really about. So here's a little useful tech on the subject.

First, Griffin’s core is always welded to the tank. Griffin does not use any glue in the manufacturing process.

Second, at Griffin, epoxy is a secondary process applied to some radiators to increase durability. All Griffin radiators are vacuum brazed with a magnesium based cladding. The purpose of the epoxy is to relieve the shear stress on the tube-to-header braze joint to ensure a long leak free life for radiators used in extreme conditions. The common misconception is that epoxy is used to “glue” radiators together. Some manufacturer's may do this, but Griffin does not.

And remember, because they make so many different types of radiators for so many different applications from race cars to locomotives to aircraft, and because they manufacture everything from scratch in-house, they use many different designs and techniques, depending on the product in question, and not all use epoxy. In fact, my KOH radiator does not use any epoxy at all in its construction - I'm just making a meal out of this issue because it's a perfect example of the type of misinformation contained in marketing hype passed off as "tech" by so many companies that ticks me off so much it's one of the reasons I got started in writing tech articles in the first place many years ago."

Im not worried about the quality/ warranty myself.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I used one of their universal fit rads with a single spal fan in my 53 chevy belair. Engine is a 5.3 with 72mm. It runs 195 all day long. Vey well built..great product. It was over 500.00 but well worth it to not have to worry about over heating.
Name:  603366_565818473432682_1196107579_n.jpg
Views: 4065
Size:  52.5 KB

shroud is custom made

Old 04-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Name:  288448_488954427785754_2804963_o.jpg
Views: 3306
Size:  103.1 KB

this is what we made to fit the rad in
Old 04-11-2013, 12:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Turtle Bite
I have been considering one without fans for my Nova as well. My main question was if they use the factory radiator support top bracket like a small block radiator or if the bolt to the core support like a big block radiator. I dont see how it can be the latter since there are no brackets/ mounts in the pictures.
If you buy an application-specific model, it'll include brackets/mounts to fit the stock location. The radiator for my '69 Camaro had the two l-shaped brackets on the side tank that mount directly to the stock holes- two bolts on one side, and the two rubber inserts in the core support on the other to allow for some expansion/contraction of the tanks. No top support needed.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

I race rock crawlers and a bunch of guys went out and bought those universal radiators after Griffin became the title sponsor of the racing series and offered a discount to racers. A lot of them had problems with the paper-thin shrouds held on to the upper and lower lips with sheetmetal screws, and the tanks cracking where they were welded (fused?) to the cores. They also had a period where they were mixing in Chinese knockoff fans in place of the Spals. Although the one above seems to have the real thing.

I ran a Ron Davis for years. It was a piece of artwork but pricey, $680 for a 24x19 dual pass with single 16" Spal fan. I am building a new racer with a CBR 31x19 dual pass with dual 16" Spal fans. It appears to be every bit as well-built as my Ron Davis was, but it was $30 less than I paid for my smaller RD with one less fan.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:50 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 2nd one is leaking from the weld at the lower outlet- they also use a "deep" cap which is some times a PITA to figure out until you call them and they say some people complain about that from time to time.

I had Summit price match Amazon and got the Fox LS swap radiator for ~$230 I think.

If I had to do it over again Id just use the stock F body radiator/fan assembly in my fox swap.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:42 PM
Launching!

Default C&R racing

I know this is about Griffin, but here is another option for ya. It's a bit pricier, but a really nice piece. Paul is the man.

Name:  photobucket-12798-1348099424851_zps2462b5a1.jpg
Views: 6438
Size:  69.6 KB
Old 04-17-2013, 07:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ctd450
I race rock crawlers and a bunch of guys went out and bought those universal radiators after Griffin became the title sponsor of the racing series and offered a discount to racers. A lot of them had problems with the paper-thin shrouds held on to the upper and lower lips with sheetmetal screws, and the tanks cracking where they were welded (fused?) to the cores. They also had a period where they were mixing in Chinese knockoff fans in place of the Spals. Although the one above seems to have the real thing.

I ran a Ron Davis for years. It was a piece of artwork but pricey, $680 for a 24x19 dual pass with single 16" Spal fan. I am building a new racer with a CBR 31x19 dual pass with dual 16" Spal fans. It appears to be every bit as well-built as my Ron Davis was, but it was $30 less than I paid for my smaller RD with one less fan.
Originally Posted by ronnieforrester
my 2nd one is leaking from the weld at the lower outlet- they also use a "deep" cap which is some times a PITA to figure out until you call them and they say some people complain about that from time to time.

I had Summit price match Amazon and got the Fox LS swap radiator for ~$230 I think.

If I had to do it over again Id just use the stock F body radiator/fan assembly in my fox swap.
That's the issue I am seeing with the reviews on these. Seems to be a 50-50 split on people either saying great things about them versus saying that they are not worth the money and are prone to leaking. Tough call on which route to go on these.....

Originally Posted by KY Nova
I know this is about Griffin, but here is another option for ya. It's a bit pricier, but a really nice piece. Paul is the man.

Talked to Paul at C&R a few weeks back, but unfortunately they are way out of my budget for this build. Im sure they are top notch, just can't justify spending almost three times what the Griffin setup costs for one.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got a griffin radiator in my s15 swap. Cools like a champ, I have a large single fan on it and no fan shroud to help direct air. Cross my fingers for no leaks, this is the first winter it's had fluid in it.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KY Nova

When I saw that C&R installed in your build thread I immediately stared drooling, that thing is a peice of art. But when I looked up the price I think my heart skipped a beat.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:20 PM
Launching!

It was hard to get it instead of a Ron Davis, which i've always used, but this is my first build with this kind of HP and this is an area i didn't want to skimp. They build them for all the big league guys and that's what i went by. After it arrived i forgot about what i gave for it. LOL
Old 04-25-2013, 11:54 AM
TECH Resident

Bump for more info....
Old 04-25-2013, 12:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a stock GM unit out of an Astro van. Has more capacity than my car has ever needed. I could buy 3 of them for the price of some of these aftermarket units AND they are available pretty much anywhere in case I take a rock through the grill.

I assume you guys know aluminum radiators need rubber isolators between them and the sheetmetal? If the aluminum gets in direct contact with steel than the aluminum can corrode.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

I have one of their direct fit replacement radiators in my '70. I have had no issues with it.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:10 PM

I got a griffin universal radiator for an ls1 swap in a 1968 firebird and it cooled great, but started leaking real bad where the ends meet the core and its only 3 years old and about 15.000 miles
Old 04-21-2015, 09:46 PM
Teching In

Smile

I have a universal fit Griffin cross flow radiator in my studillac . it holds 185 all day for last for four years.

Quick Reply: Griffin LS Swap Radiators