Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car revs high on initial startup ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 08:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Car revs high on initial startup ???

Ok, I wasn't there when the guy doing the wiring started the car for the first time. He says it wouldn't idle, and revved really high at start up....so he shut it off. I know the throttlebody is working properly (at least it is held closed by the spring). Gas pedal is not causing a problem.

Anyone have an idea what would cause that?
Old 04-15-2013, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try replacing the IAC motor. I had one that was sticking causing a high idle.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Check for vacuum leaks first. I've seen people accidentally not cover the EGR port on the intake which has an effect similar to a stuck throttle.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Check for vacuum leaks first. I've seen people accidentally not cover the EGR port on the intake which has an effect similar to a stuck throttle.
I looked for open vacuum ports. I don't THINK there's anything I am missing. I have an LS1 intake, and there are 2 ports at the rear, one for brakes, the other I capped. There are 2 at the front on the throttlebody. The LS1 intake is different than the truck intake. The LS1 intake has its own ports built into it BEHIND the throttlebody. I plugged the two small ports at the bottom of the TB and hooked up the ones on the intake to the appropriate lines (I assume)

Did I do that wrong?

Also, is this an IAC motor? THe little sensor on the top driver side of the TB?

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/IdleAirCont...Fcuh4AodjjEA8Q
Old 04-15-2013, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by superdave84
I looked for open vacuum ports. I don't THINK there's anything I am missing. I have an LS1 intake, and there are 2 ports at the rear, one for brakes, the other I capped. There are 2 at the front on the throttlebody. The LS1 intake is different than the truck intake. The LS1 intake has its own ports built into it BEHIND the throttlebody. I plugged the two small ports at the bottom of the TB and hooked up the ones on the intake to the appropriate lines (I assume)

Did I do that wrong?

Also, is this an IAC motor? THe little sensor on the top driver side of the TB?

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/IdleAirCont...Fcuh4AodjjEA8Q
Early F-Body LS1 intakes have an EGR port right behind the throttle body at the top of the intake.

If you don't have an obvious vacuum leak, the IAC could be bad. When mine died it also threw a code. I just prefer trying things that don't cost money first.

Yes it is the little sensor with a metal band.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine did that. I turned it off and started it back up a couple times and it finally idled back down. I thought it was just doing its thing. Haven't happend again. It's only done it twice. Once I had started it without the maf. Then it did it after I installed the MAf. Then after I took the harness out and re-did some wires that I pinched. After that, no problem.

Quick Reply: Car revs high on initial startup ???