Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 th350 notch mustang starter dragging

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 01:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 th350 notch mustang starter dragging

I'm working on a 92 notch mustang. The problem is the starter is dragging when the engine starts. It drags for a second or two. You have to feather the throttle to keep the engine from dying and its making it hard to tune the start up if the starter keeps this up. Anyway I've tried three different starters a solenoid. The car is still using the ford solenoid. I've also tried to shim the starter, even up to. 120. The car is running a flat 6.0 flexplate and spacer. The spacer is on the crank side.

Just lookin for someof input, maybe I missed something.
Any help is appreciated
Old 04-19-2013, 03:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

My LTD wagon with a 5.3 did the same thing when I tried to use the starter solenoid mounted on the fender. I also tried different starters and shimming with no luck. I did away with the Ford solenoid and ran the start wire directly to the starter like a GM and it fixed it.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:36 AM
On The Tree

Wonder what would make that happen like that?
Old 04-19-2013, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
My LTD wagon with a 5.3 did the same thing when I tried to use the starter solenoid mounted on the fender. I also tried different starters and shimming with no luck. I did away with the Ford solenoid and ran the start wire directly to the starter like a GM and it fixed it.
Exactly what he said! When i first put my swap together I tried using the ford solenoid and running power from the solenoid to the starter. Then at the starter I had a jumper ran from the power terminal to the solenoid on the starter. Would always drag till I did away with the ford solenoid.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:02 AM
Teching In

I have it set up just like the post above. I'll ditch the solenoid and do it like GM.
Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Quick Reply: 5.3 th350 notch mustang starter dragging