Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does it take to put a carb on a l92

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does it take to put a carb on a l92

I have an opportunity to get an L92 out of an wrecked Escalade and I just wanted to know what is needed to put a carb on it ...I want to build a sleeper that sound stock without a cam but make good power
Old 04-22-2013, 10:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Basically, a manifold, carb, MSD-6012 box for a 58x reluctor, plus whatever trans controller (auto) you like.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Why go carb? Unless some sort of class rules dictate one, I would stick with fuel injection.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We have a separate carbureted section on here if you want to get answers without yet another carb vs. EFI debate.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Why go carb? Unless some sort of class rules dictate one, I would stick with fuel injection.
Why not? It's cheaper than having to buy a harness or mod one, will need dbw pedal, the intake is ugly on trucks, so that has to go. Needs to get pcm tuned, no need for that with the msd module, you can pretty much do it yourself. Fuel system, needs fuel injected lines, tank or mod one and have fuel slosh issues, gets rod of alot of wiring and headaches. From what other users say mileage is one or two different, power is about the same and properly tuned carb drives just as good. That's the reason i opted for a carb for my project.

Fwiw, i was going to keep it fuel injected, sold my fast 102 along with the tb and pretty much paid for my carbed set up. Can wait to get time to actually do it.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by zamora7
Why not? It's cheaper than having to buy a harness or mod one, will need dbw pedal, the intake is ugly on trucks, so that has to go. Needs to get pcm tuned, no need for that with the msd module, you can pretty much do it yourself. Fuel system, needs fuel injected lines, tank or mod one and have fuel slosh issues, gets rod of alot of wiring and headaches. From what other users say mileage is one or two different, power is about the same and properly tuned carb drives just as good. That's the reason i opted for a carb for my project.

Fwiw, i was going to keep it fuel injected, sold my fast 102 along with the tb and pretty much paid for my carbed set up. Can wait to get time to actually do it.
If you buy everything right (i.e. used, complete as you can and aren't trying to build 6000 HP) it can actually be done cheaper keeping it EFI. Lots of people out there upgrade intakes on their Corvettes and Camaros so those, injectors and rails are available reasonably priced for all port designs. Since you should already have the throttle body from the truck intake you don't need to buy it again. Bonus with EFI, it always drives right due to weather and altitude changes and if you are off road, angle doesn't matter either.

Depending on the vehicle, fuel system mods aren't much either.

Just sharing my experience, not trying to start a virtual pissing contest with someone I'm 99.7% likely to never meet.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

No point arguing with carb people, they are somehow convinced it's cheaper and better than keeping efi. Easiest just to post a link and move on.... https://ls1tech.com/forums/carbureted-lsx-forum-172/
Old 04-23-2013, 08:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chuckd71
No point arguing with carb people, they are somehow convinced it's cheaper and better than keeping efi. Easiest just to post a link and move on.... https://ls1tech.com/forums/carbureted-lsx-forum-172/
Good point Chuck. I'll have to add that to my list of topics I won't discuss. Hahahaha
Old 04-23-2013, 08:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Each has their place.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
We have a separate carbureted section on here if you want to get answers without yet another carb vs. EFI debate.
Like I said....
Old 04-23-2013, 10:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys I will look into fuel injection option 2 but if I go carburetor do you feel it would be better with a dual plane or single plane
Old 04-24-2013, 05:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Intake type will depend on the weight of the car, the gearing, and what cam you end up with. Single planes will give you a pretty big boost in HP compared to the longer EFI runners. The dual plane has longer runners and will restore some of the mid range power. Both carb'd manifolds will have more low end torque and high end HP than the EFI manifolds.

One thing to keep in mind is these LS motors have much more low end than the first gens. That can be hard to put down with street tires. So sometimes the single plane is the better option cause it moves some of the power up into a more usable band.

Quick Reply: What does it take to put a carb on a l92