Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 LS1 TA build

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 09:22 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 78 LS1 TA build

Thought I’d post a “how my car came to be”post..

I bought my car mostly done..from a guy in NJ (BanditDave)…he built the car and wanted to go in another direction…so he listed it and I looked at it and bought it. The beginning is from the previous owner..

April 2010

The car is a ’78 Trans Am I got from Arizona by way of Illinois. It is loaded with pretty much all of Pro-Touring F-body’s catalog – 4th Gen rate springs, Huge Sway bars front and rear, lowered approximately 3 inches in the front, 2.5 rear. GM 600 box to improve steering. DSE upper and lower control arms. 10 bolt disc brake rear beefed up with welded tubes, 30 splines, 3.73 precision gears with Eaton posi. 1LE upgrade to the front with Impala SS spindles as well as Impala SS calipers, 12 inch rotors. DSE booster/Master cylinder (3rd Gen S-10 Master Cylinder subbed in to work with brake combo. DSE Master (which is actually a 5th gen S-10 Master) is also included.

Power Train is a ’99 LS1 with a reman 4L60e from a Camaro…long tube headers and 2.5” Magnaflow exhaust. Reprogrammed computer by Speartech. I rewired the stock hardness to work with the original engine harness. Wired dual fans to work as factory fans would…these do work as well. Driveshaft properly shortened to work with engine relocation – set back 1.25 inches to fit the headers. Aluminum radiator.
Fuel pump is a Bosch 044 hooked to the stock tank through an Aeromotive pre-filter and regulates through Corvette regulator. A single line runs to the fuel rail.
Torque Thrust II wheels 17x8 fronts and 17x9.5 rears with Kumho Ecstas 255/45-17 fronts and 285/40-17 rears…sized properly to fit with no rubbing.

Paint is recently completed Jetstream Blue Metallic (Z06 color) basecoat/clear coat stripped all the way down to metal and painted properly. Burt Reynolds Edition Trans Am spoilers fitted to the car all the way around. The interior still needs to be finished and gauges need to be fitted – FULL assortment of Autometer Cobalt Gauges. B&M Megashifter.
Ok what I consider the bad. Car is not done yet…it does and can drive. Still needs some wiring work to be completed. The damn steering column needs the three screws tightened…it is wobbly. It is an easy fix…haven’t gotten around to it. The exhaust could possibly be tucked up higher than it is…it is ok to drive as is, while there hasn’t been an issue yet with driving it, I feel like I could get it even tighter to the body if I had a freakin’ lift.. The oil pan, while hasn’t hit anything yet, should eventually be changed back to the Fbody pan or the LSX conversion pan Retro LSX is selling. It hangs a little below the crossmember and it really bothers me that a company, which will go nameless, would recommend this part without checking this…and it upsets me even more that I wouldn’t notice this until I took it to get painted. Interior needs to be finished. I have a lot of the parts, but not all.

Here’s a pic fresh out of the paint booth…

May 30, 2010- I bought the car and began finishing up the interior. I modded the 4th gen seats to fit, new carpet, modded the YearOne dash bezel to fit OEM wiper and headlight switch, new headliner, seat belts (4th gen fbody), and misc wiring. I was able to get the car ready to drive by July 2010. Car was a blast! It was tough to put it up for the winter…
Year One dash bezel-wiper, headlight, and turn signals cut. I also used an extra dash to mark and drill holes so I could mount the dash bezel to factory dash.

4th gen seats modded to fit

April 2011- Had the 4th gen seats recovered with white vinyl/leatherette, swapped out the cracked dash with a near mint black dash. Interior is a mix of black and white. I considered all white…but I thought the all white door panels was a bit much..Began the task of adding vintage air. I added the control switch, vents, hoses, evaporator and bulkhead. I still need to add condenser, dryer and high pressure hoses.
Test fit old dash over evaporator

Vintage air control switch and vents

Vintage air bulkhead

Front seats covered- I went with a 2 tone black and white. Carpet, dash, console (minus lid), and top of the doors down is black….above top of door line is all white

April 2012-Big task here…oil pan swap. I swapped out the LH8 pan with a modded F-body pan. It had to be modded to clear the crossmember. I also had the interior doors re-done, rear seats recovered, added PONTIAC valve covers, LED tails, Amber DRLs (turn signals), 2006 GTO third brake light and relocated the coilpacks. Sadly, GM performance parts doesn’t sell the LS Pontiac valve covers.
Not my pan..but this is just like it. Street and Performance did it.

Door skins redone- not crazy about them… I may do the year one doors in the future. Added polk 6.5 separates in the door.

Rear seats covered in matching vinyl, GTO third brake light, 2 kicker 8” free airs

Coil packs relocated to firewall, Pontiac valve covers (which they don’t sell anymore?)

LED tails and better view of GTO 3rd brake light

April 2013- I have a modded recess fuel tank…ready to accept a 4th gen fuel bucket. The tank in there works well…but it is noisy. I am adding some tunes this year, and I don’t want that annoying sound droning out my tunes! I have 2 kicker 8” free airs in the rear, polk 6.5” separates in the front. I have it set up for amps and crossovers…all run by a kenwood media player head unit. No CD’s..just ipod, iphone, or thumb drive. I plan on tucking up the exhaust too.

New tank ready to go in, fabbed up with vetteworks 4th gen fuel bucket setup.

Credit is due to Dave T-banditdave- great guy…glad I came across the opportunity to purchase his project…
More to come…
Leon Reed

Last edited by reedld; 11-21-2013 at 05:23 PM. Reason: More pics/edit info
Old 04-23-2013, 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good man. I wish mine was a 78. Eventually I will finish it.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by reedld
Thought I’d post a “how my car came to be”post..

I bought my car mostly done..from a guy in NJ…he built the car and wanted to go in another direction…so he listed it and I looked at it and bought it. The beginning is from the previous owner..

April 2010
I have been giving this a lot of thought lately and I have been working on this project a few years now – almost 4 to be exact – and I have been noticing something about myself that I just seem to enjoy building them and since I have had many 2nd Gen TAs over the past few years I am kind of looking for something different.
While I have been having issues with a former engine builder since 2004, I have kind of taken myself out of drag racing, but after recently acquiring a ’69 Cutlass I have been getting really into the FAST series of racing.
I am gauging interest in possibly selling my ’78 pro-touring TA to focus on the Cutlass. This thing has a LOT of stuff on it so I apologize if I forget some of the things on this car but here it goes:

The car is a ’78 Trans Am I got from Arizona by way of Illinois. It is loaded with pretty much all of Pro-Touring F-body’s catalog – 4th Gen rate springs, Huge Sway bars front and rear, lowered approximately 3 inches in the front, 2.5 rear. GM 600 box to improve steering. DSE upper and lower control arms. 10 bolt disc brake rear beefed up with welded tubes, 30 splines, 3.73 precision gears with Eaton posi. 1LE upgrade to the front with Impala SS spindles as well as Impala SS calipers, 12 inch rotors. DSE booster/Master cylinder (3rd Gen S-10 Master Cylinder subbed in to work with brake combo. DSE Master (which is actually a 5th gen S-10 Master) is also included.

Power Train is a ’99 LS1 with a reman 4L60e from a Camaro…long tube headers and 2.5” Magnaflow exhaust. Reprogrammed computer by Speartech. I rewired the stock hardness to work with the original engine harness. Wired dual fans to work as factory fans would…these do work as well. Driveshaft properly shortened to work with engine relocation – set back 1.25 inches to fit the headers. Aluminum radiator.
Fuel pump is a Bosch 044 hooked to the stock tank through an Aeromotive pre-filter and regulates through Corvette regulator. A single line runs to the fuel rail.
Torque Thrust II wheels 17x8 fronts and 17x9.5 rears with Kumho Ecstas 255/45-17 fronts and 285/40-17 rears…sized properly to fit with no rubbing.

Paint is recently completed Jetstream Blue Metallic (Z06 color) basecoat/clear coat stripped all the way down to metal and painted properly. Burt Reynolds Edition Trans Am spoilers fitted to the car all the way around. The interior still needs to be finished and gauges need to be fitted – FULL assortment of Autometer Cobalt Gauges. B&M Megashifter.
Ok what I consider the bad. Car is not done yet…it does and can drive. Still needs some wiring work to be completed. The damn steering column needs the three screws tightened…it is wobbly. It is an easy fix…haven’t gotten around to it. The exhaust could possibly be tucked up higher than it is…it is ok to drive as is, while there hasn’t been an issue yet with driving it, I feel like I could get it even tighter to the body if I had a freakin’ lift.. The oil pan, while hasn’t hit anything yet, should eventually be changed back to the Fbody pan or the LSX conversion pan Retro LSX is selling. It hangs a little below the crossmember and it really bothers me that a company, which will go nameless, would recommend this part without checking this…and it upsets me even more that I wouldn’t notice this until I took it to get painted. Interior needs to be finished. I have a lot of the parts, but not all.

Here’s a pic fresh out of the paint booth…

May 30, 2010- I bought the car and began finishing up the interior. I modded the 4th gen seats to fit, new carpet, modded the YearOne dash bezel to fit OEM wiper and headlight switch, new headliner, seat belts (4th gen fbody), and misc wiring. I was able to get the car ready to drive by July 2010. Car was a blast! It was tough to put it up for the winter…

April 2011- Had the 4th gen seats recovered with white vinyl/leatherette, swapped out a near mint black dash (Arizona dash was shot!). Interior is a mix of black and white. I considered all white…but I thought the all white door panels was a bit much..Began the task of adding vintage air. I added the control switch, vents, hoses, evaporator and bulkhead.

April 2012-Big task here…oil pan swap. I swapped out the LH8 pan with a modded F-body pan. It had to be modded to clear the crossmember. I also had the interior doors re-done, rear seats recovered, added PONTIAC valve covers, LED tails, Amber DRLs (turn signals), 2006 GTO third brake light and relocated the coilpacks.

April 2013- I have a modded recess fuel tank…ready to accept a 4th gen fuel bucket. The tank in there works well…but it is noisy. I am adding some tunes this year, and I don’t want that annoying sound droning out my tunes! I have 2 kicker 8” free airs in the rear, polk 6.5” separates in the front. I have it set up for amps and crossovers…all run by a kenwood media player head unit. No CD’s..just ipod, iphone, or thumb drive. I plan on tucking up the exhaust too.

Present tank

New one ready to go in, fabbed up with vetteworks 4th gen fuel bucket setup…..needs paint yet.

Credit is due to Dave T-banditdave- great guy…glad I came across the opportunity to purchase his project…
More to come…
reedid,

Wow! You are doing such a great job. What a beauty.

Safe travels my friend.

Jennifer T,
GM Customer Care Service
Old 05-14-2013, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you give more onfo on the tank upgrade? Like where you got the pump asembly from. I installed 2 pumps in my tank, without cutting it, but after going in there 3 times I need to make it a better way to get ate the pumps.
Attached Thumbnails 78 LS1 TA build-003.jpg  
Old 05-15-2013, 06:10 AM
Launching!

The pump is from a 2000 LS1 fbody, picked it up on eBay from fparts ( huge seller in the Philly area). I am using the vette works kit. I disassembled the housing and replaced the OEM pump for peace of mind. I recessed the pump/fuel module only so I did not have to cut the trunk....and I started with a new tank. My present tank works well...it's just loud! I have not found the time to complete the tank swap just yet..hopefully within a week I will be done. Hope this helps..

Leon

http://vetteworksonline.net/ (Under c3 conversion section)
Old 05-15-2013, 08:38 AM
Staging Lane

Looks good man, thanks for sharing. Love the coil pack location.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What headers are you using?
Old 05-15-2013, 01:55 PM
TECH Regular

Love this! I dream of doing a build like this one day. In for updates
Old 05-15-2013, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the tank info! I got a tank assembly from a 95TA to day will see if I can make it work.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1bad03snake
What headers are you using?
BRP hotrod ( headman)
Old 05-15-2013, 06:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MillsMotorvation
Thanks for the tank info! I got a tank assembly from a 95TA to day will see if I can make it work.
I believe the LT1 pump pressure is different... So the 95 LT1 may not work. I guess it may work with an upgraded pump and a different regulator...I may be wrong..
Old 05-16-2013, 09:37 AM
Staging Lane

BRP hotrod ( headman)
I am considering these same ones. Do you love them?
Old 05-16-2013, 10:24 AM
Launching!

They hang low...if I ever upgrade to a 6.0... I may go with another product...appearance wise they are awesome. No leaks....
Old 05-16-2013, 10:35 AM
Staging Lane

They hang low...if I ever upgrade to a 6.0... I may go with another product...appearance wise they are awesome. No leaks....
I am running the LY6 and am considering these, but they run low huh? Any chance you could snap a pic sometime?
Thanks!!
Old 05-16-2013, 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by REDL1NE
I am running the LY6 and am considering these, but they run low huh? Any chance you could snap a pic sometime?
Thanks!!
Give Bob @ Brutespeed a call and get the Kook's headers. These were not available when I originally built the car. Had they been, I would have spent a little more and got them. FANTASTIC quality, but a little more expensive. Stainless as well. I believe Stainless Works may also offer headers but I am not as sure.

I may still have a low hanging fruit pic laying around....been a while though. Miss that car, but Reed has done a phenomenal job finishing it off! Couldn't have gone to a better guy.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BanditDave
Give Bob @ Brutespeed a call and get the Kook's headers. These were not available when I originally built the car. Had they been, I would have spent a little more and got them. FANTASTIC quality, but a little more expensive. Stainless as well. I believe Stainless Works may also offer headers but I am not as sure.

I may still have a low hanging fruit pic laying around....been a while though. Miss that car, but Reed has done a phenomenal job finishing it off! Couldn't have gone to a better guy.
Thanks for the info man. I am writing this down as we speak. There are some unreal cars on here.
the people..the cars...This place is just fantastic
Old 05-16-2013, 11:59 AM
Launching!

Redline- I'll snap a pic and PM ya. It's up on jackstands right now. I am working on the car audio right at the moment, as well as just finished adding on the autometer LED dimming circuit. Those cobalt guages are awesome...but if I ever drive near dusk and need my lights...MAN are they bright! LED dimmer circuit works great! I wont have the car down until I have my fuel system complete. I have a new 2nd gen tank cut, recessed, sealed and ready to go in (using 4th gen pump).

Dave- Thanks for stepping in and helping! Hope all is well....congrats on upcoming birth! I lurk at your cutlass build from time to time...take care..

Leon
Old 05-16-2013, 03:02 PM
Staging Lane

Redline- I'll snap a pic and PM ya. It's up on jackstands right now. I am working on the car audio right at the moment, as well as just finished adding on the autometer LED dimming circuit. Those cobalt guages are awesome...but if I ever drive near dusk and need my lights...MAN are they bright! LED dimmer circuit works great! I wont have the car down until I have my fuel system complete. I have a new 2nd gen tank cut, recessed, sealed and ready to go in (using 4th gen pump).

Leon
Thanks buddy. I'd love to see the lights sometime too. Sounds great. I havent decided which way to go with mine.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

Dave- Thanks for stepping in and helping! Hope all is well....congrats on upcoming birth! I lurk at your cutlass build from time to time...take care..

Leon
Leon,

You need to take some updated pics of that thing and a video and post it! I will help if you have difficulty with the video posting. You have done a superb job with the second half of the build...I did the easy stuff...I HATE interior work and you have taken it the extra mile. Like I said before...when I called you Reed...lol...long day...couldn't have gone to a better owner.

Take care and get some more vids and pics up!
Dave
Old 05-17-2013, 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

Nice job. I need to get off my lazy *** and get my swap started in my high school car , 80 Camaro I bought in 84.

Quick Reply: 78 LS1 TA build