Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 "truck" computer/harness powering "car" engine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 01:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 5.3 "truck" computer/harness powering "car" engine?

so, my question is, can a computer and harness from a 5.3 plug into and power a "car" engine, such as an LS2 or LS3? I'm sure this would require a retune, but is it possible?
Old 04-27-2013, 01:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes and no trucks came with a couple diferant computers , the e38 i believe can run an ls2 or ls3 and a verity of other engines including vvt and dod equiped engines
Old 04-27-2013, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Assuming that you're using compatible/appropriate sensors/injectors/programming, I see no reason why it couldn't. An engine is an engine.

EDIT: Just re-read your question a little bit more closely - and the answer I'd give is 'As long as you pay attention to matching the appropriate year/connectors, then yes, it's possible'. Different engines had different sensors, different mounting locations for the ECM, different options for transmissions, etc. It's certainly POSSIBLE, but it would be pretty easy to miss something that would require you to alter the harness if you're not careful.

I just bought the stock truck harness for my engine, thinking that I'd remove the transmission sub-harness & graft in the transmission connections & all of the connections for speedo, etc. Now I'm pretty sure that I'm just going to go with an aftermarket harness (which should save me a good bit of time, & hopefully allow me to drive the car this year).

Last edited by V8Rumble; 04-27-2013 at 02:20 PM.

Quick Reply: 5.3 "truck" computer/harness powering "car" engine?