Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumb question about GTO oil pan swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 09:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dumb question about GTO oil pan swap

I am just trying to make TOTALLY sure....

I may end up buying a GTO engine, and they have the front sump style oil pan. The block itself is still the exact same though, right? I can swap out the GTO pan for a normal rear sump pan/pickup tube right?
Old 04-28-2013, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

you can use any pan on it. I did the opposite of what you're looking to do: had an originally rear sump LQ4 motor, ditched the truck pan and installed a front sump GTO pan. just be sure to also buy an oil pickup tube, windage tray, and deflection tray to match the pan you're buying.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LQ4-E39
you can use any pan on it. I did the opposite of what you're looking to do: had an originally rear sump LQ4 motor, ditched the truck pan and installed a front sump GTO pan. just be sure to also buy an oil pickup tube, windage tray, and deflection tray to match the pan you're buying.
Great, thanks. I actually have the pan, tray, dipstick and pickup tube already. I am just looking to swap my 5.3 for a better engine.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very important. The gto pan setup has the dipstick that goes directly into pan id i remember correctly. My f-body pan and stick requires u put the stick into the motor like an old style chevy block. U gotta knock out that little 3/8 plug on passenger side of motor to does this. Do it before u mount new pan on so u can retrieve it!!!!
Old 04-30-2013, 06:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by downset71
Very important. The gto pan setup has the dipstick that goes directly into pan id i remember correctly. My f-body pan and stick requires u put the stick into the motor like an old style chevy block. U gotta knock out that little 3/8 plug on passenger side of motor to does this. Do it before u mount new pan on so u can retrieve it!!!!
Thanks! That would have definitely caused me problems. Now, assuming I can get a GTO motor.....

Quick Reply: Dumb question about GTO oil pan swap