Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'67-'69 Camaro T56 Crossmember

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 08:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default '67-'69 Camaro T56 Crossmember

What are you guys using for a T56 crossmember in your '67-'69 Camaro LSx conversions?

I'm installing an LQ9/T56 into my '67 and have looked at the ATS and BMR crossmembers. I'm not going to fab my own, so I'm looking for opinions on these or other brands that allow for the most tunnel and exhaust clearance, as well as adjustability forward or back. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You might also try the G-Force Performance Crossmembers or the Raptor-X Crossmember by PATC.

There are also kits that you might try.. you could mod them up and then take it to a welder to finsih it.

BC
Old 05-02-2013, 07:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

The Raptor X looks promising.

Anyone else?
Old 05-02-2013, 08:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i fabed my own , from a universal kit off e-bay , made some triangle shaped 1/4 inch plate and welded nuts to it , bolted to the subframe , cut the middle tube to length, i had to squish the tube to about 1/2 the total diameter
and welded it up , cost around 70 bucks if i remember right , most of the custom ones i found were arround 2- 3 hundred
Old 05-02-2013, 11:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For my 71 Nova. which should work for your 1st gen.. .I took a TH400 and modified it.. It should work for a T56, just a few minor tweeks to the design...

Name:  DSC_7351.jpg
Views: 5345
Size:  27.2 KB
Name:  DSC_7354.jpg
Views: 6074
Size:  61.7 KB
Name:  DSC_7356.jpg
Views: 3947
Size:  58.1 KB

BC
Old 09-08-2013, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bump for my ideas or info. I don't have a th400 crossmember to mod.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

I ended up going with the BMR crossmember. It works with:
-TH400
-T-56
-TR6060
-Magnum
-4L80E
-TKO500

Old 09-10-2013, 10:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by 67rally
-TH400
-T-56
-TR6060
-Magnum
-4L80E
-TKO500

That crossmember should serve you well as long as you validate your engine inclination angle/U-joint working angles and adjust the height of the rear of the transmission accordingly as needed. The only compromise I see you might have to make is with the final ground clearance of your exhaust system if you are going with 3" tubing, since the geometry of the BMR crossmember does not bend up into the pockets of the body that the stock crossmember and the Hooker crossmember rest in. If you are using 2.5" tubing in your exhaust then you should be fine.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Toddoky
That crossmember should serve you well as long as you validate your engine inclination angle/U-joint working angles and adjust the height of the rear of the transmission accordingly as needed. The only compromise I see you might have to make is with the final ground clearance of your exhaust system if you are going with 3" tubing, since the geometry of the BMR crossmember does not bend up into the pockets of the body that the stock crossmember and the Hooker crossmember rest in. If you are using 2.5" tubing in your exhaust then you should be fine.
Thanks Todd. I have a 2.5" exhaust and it fits, but you're right, 3" would not work. I used a set of cheapo eBay headers I posted over on Team Camaro, I'll probably replace them over the winter with something that actually fits.

I had to shim the Trans up about .500" as well as install 4* leaf spring shims to get my pinon angles where I wanted them.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Here's a pic where I was lining up the trans tail housing with the rear diff. You can see the exhaust fits, but there's not much room left.

Name:  dsstuff040x_zps41d8cfd6.jpg
Views: 2742
Size:  66.7 KB

You can also see where the passenger side header sits much lower than the drivers side. Under $200 on eBay, just had to beat on them with a hammer in 3 places to get them to fit, and I think one of the flanges is slightly warped as well. Ah, eBay. You get what you pay for....
Old 09-10-2013, 11:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 67rally
-TH400
-T-56
-TR6060
-Magnum
-4L80E
-TKO500

Thats what i have in my Nova. Nice piece. I have Dynatech headers which hang quite low IMO. Initial mockup looks like my 3 inch Xpipe will fit.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by nuckifuts
Thats what i have in my Nova. Nice piece. I have Dynatech headers which hang quite low IMO. Initial mockup looks like my 3 inch Xpipe will fit.
Yes, the 3" will always fit but at what distance beyond the bottom of the subframe does it hang down...that will ultimately determine your overall ground clearance. The higher you can stuff it up under the car, the higher your ground clearance will be. If you guys don't mine, post up some side shots of your exhaust systems so I can see the ground clearance you guys currently have. I will then also post up side shots of the entire new Hooker system so everyone can get a good idea as to the ground clearance differences available with various components/systems. Sound reasonable? I actually thing that would be a great sticky for one of you users to create on this site so it remains easily accessible information for all users here that are contemplating swaps or looking to upgrade their systems based on ground clearance as a primary determining factor. Let me know
Old 09-10-2013, 12:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ATS
little pricy but fits perfect.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you guys don't mine, post up some side shots of your exhaust systems so I can see the ground clearance you guys currently have. I will then also post up side shots of the entire new Hooker system so everyone can get a good idea as to the ground clearance differences available with various components/systems. Sound reasonable?
I'll take some pics tonight when I get home or tomorrow when there's better light. Like I said, I'm not impressed with my headers. I actually just have them band clamped to the exhaust (no flanges) because of the likelyhood of swapping them out over the winter.

FWIW, I have seen the pics of the new Hooker headers and they tuck up really tight. Just not sure I'm willing to swap out my new Holley oil pan, Dirty Dingo Sliders, etc. since I just bought them a few months ago. If I could use the new Hookers with my current setup, then it would be a much easier choice.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sako
ATS
little pricy but fits perfect.
Yes Sako, the Speedtech/ATS unit is a nice piece and certainly worth mentioning here. Our intention was to provide a similar level of engineered quality at a more affordable price to make it appealing to a broader range of users. I noticed that the Speedtech/ATS unit is listed at $369...knowing what I know about the build costs related to the new Hooker crossmember, it should come in at more than a $100 less than that. To each their own how they spend their hard earned cash I say, I just want to be sure to deliver the complete technical and geometric specifications of the new Hooker parts so members here can make a fully informed purchase decision without having to compare erroneous or imcomplete information.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Teching In

I went with the BRP Hotrods motor/T56 mount. So far I am pleased with the fitment.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry, forgot to take pics of the eBay headers the other day. Here they are:

Driver's side:
Name:  Headers036x_zps46e9a4aa.jpg
Views: 2706
Size:  64.2 KB

Passenger side:
Name:  Headers037x_zps90ec3770.jpg
Views: 2612
Size:  55.1 KB
Old 09-17-2013, 08:13 PM
Launching!

What brand are the headers? Are you thinking about switching due to ground clearance?
Old 10-17-2013, 02:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 406chvycamaro
What brand are the headers? Are you thinking about switching due to ground clearance?
Sorry, I missed this question. They are the no name ones you can find on eBay for under $200.

The don't seal well to the engine even with the GM multi layer header gaskets, so I have a little header leak under the hood. Also, the passenger side header sits lower then the driver's side, and I had to dimple them in 3 places to get them to fit around my steering box and Pitman arm.

I'm thinking about replacing them this winter with something that fits right out of the box. Otherwise I'll just take them off, and have the flanges milled so they will seal to the heads.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:40 PM
Nob
Teching In

Yes Sako, the Speedtech/ATS unit is a nice piece and certainly worth mentioning here. Our intention was to provide a similar level of engineered quality at a more affordable price to make it appealing to a broader range of users. I noticed that the Speedtech/ATS unit is listed at $369...knowing what I know about the build costs related to the new Hooker crossmember, it should come in at more than a $100 less than that. To each their own how they spend their hard earned cash I say, I just want to be sure to deliver the complete technical and geometric specifications of the new Hooker parts so members here can make a fully informed purchase decision without having to compare erroneous or imcomplete information.
I couldn't agree more , I have the Speedtech/ AtS unit I would have built my own , knowing what I know now.
The AtS unit after running it for two years failed , it is not strong enough ,it made the trans sag considerably .
Which changed my pinion angles and caused more vibration as time went on.
with some small mods I made it more ridged. good design just to saggy.

Quick Reply: '67-'69 Camaro T56 Crossmember