Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water pump question

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump question

I'm ready to drop my carbed LQ9 into my Fox body. Been revewing some of the swaps here and noticed some differences in the water pumps shown in the build pics. The WP on my 6.0 is a snout that sticks up vertically and at an angle out of the top of the pump.
Some pics I've seen show a pump with the snout sticking straight out the front of the motor. It seems this might make it easier to make a coolant hose fit. However, if I change the WP will my trcuk accessroy drive stuff still fit(Damper, alternator bracket,etc.)
What is the PN, description, etc. for this style of WP?
Old 04-30-2013, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah.. the truck have the port up top.. the one with the port in front is most likely one of the car water pumps.

Area of warning. as you questioned... The Vette, F-Body and Truck all have different pulley spacing. They will have to match up with your front accessories (WP, PS and Alt). So. if your crank pulley is from a truck the F-body water pump would be about .75" short of your truck accessory pulleys. Just something to note and consider when mix and matching front accessories. A Vette one would be another .75" shorter for pulley alignement.

BC
Old 04-30-2013, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good thread to check out.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ed-f-body.html
Old 04-30-2013, 09:25 PM
Staging Lane

I believe you can run the LS3 water pump, maybe someone else can chime in and confirm this.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an LS3 2010 Camaro water on a LY6 van motor. I think all that matters is the spacng for the belt, corvette shortest off set, f-body out 3/4" then the truck/vvt motors 1.5".
Attached Thumbnails Water pump question-dscf2132.jpg   Water pump question-dscf0945.jpg  
Old 05-01-2013, 08:38 AM
On The Tree

I run the truck accessories, f-body water pump and dirty dingo water pump spacers. I didnt want to modify a water pump to keep things simple in case I ever have to replace the pump. The adapters are about $85 and I bought a used pump for $70. Works great and still cheaper than an LS3 pump.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 67Skylark
I have an LS3 2010 Camaro water on a LY6 van motor. I think all that matters is the spacng for the belt, corvette shortest off set, f-body out 3/4" then the truck/vvt motors 1.5".
I have the same pump ,and engine , it makes for better clearance when you run a truck engine with a car intake , or otherwise want the hose barb on the left side of the engine and pointing straight out instead of up
Old 05-01-2013, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the inputs. I think i'll get it in the car and assess the situation. Maybe I can find a radiator hose that will work. if not I'm thinking I could pull the present snout out, tap it for pipe threads and put a big AN fitting in it. Then I could hook an AN 90deg. fitting to it. Don't know yet.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once that snout is removed theres not a whole lot of room to begin with as far drilling then tapping it goes.

Do you own the tools to do this? Or know someone that does?

If you had to pay someone, might be easier and slightly cheaper possibly to go fbody pump route and spacers..

Quick Reply: Water pump question