Sponsored by:

V12 LS1 Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nissan LS240
unless they're all having cooling issues
It's impossible to say either way without data.

I do know that when BMW wants to build a high output engine, they give each cylinder its own coolant feed or drain.

BMW's M30 and S38 inline 6's are cousins. The M30 is the SOHC 12V normal car engine and the S38 is the DOHC 24V M5/M6 engine.

The M30 has a conventional cooling system layout in which the water pump pushes water into the front of the block, the water flows up through orifices in the head gasket, flows forward through the cylinder head and out via the (recirculating) thermostat housing. It is WELL established that the rear cylinders run hotter than the fronts. When I replaced the head gasket on my '92 535i with this engine, I went back after DDing for a week to retorque the head bolts. Working from the front of the engine to the rear, each pair of head bolts moved progressively more at the SAME retorque value because the aluminum at the rear of the cylinder head moved a little more due to continuous higher operating temps.

The S38 was designed as a race engine from the get-go. It uses an exeternal coolant manifold to meter coolant flow into the cylinder head under each exhaust port. It does not have any problems with differential cylinder temperatures, has been raced in endurance events at 800 HP and built to over 1000 HP for drag racing.

Similar changes are visible between the M60/M62 production V8's and S62 V8 from the M5 & Z8.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:32 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I'm not sure how a BMW straight 6 is relevant to this conversation.

...Unless we are talking about putting them on a pedestal for engine design. (I would not do that. I know lots of folks with chevy 8's and BMW 6's. The chevy 8's are much more durable and less prone to breaking down... and ending up at a BMW dealer.)

Everybody knows that the ancient underground salt formations in Bavaria cause relativistic gravitational anomalies that cause engine coolant to flow in odd ways there, so I'm not sure there are any issues here.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

Relevance? Beyond the fact that an inline 6 is half a V12...
Old 04-25-2015, 01:00 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Except we arent talking about half a motor. Get that BMW **** outta here.......lol
Old 04-25-2015, 06:41 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by The Dark Side of Wil
Relevance? Beyond the fact that an inline 6 is half a V12...
Not for cooling. (That may be true for things like the camshaft and timing - but even in that context, I'm not sure lessons learned in Bavaria apply too much.)

A V-6 is more like "half" of this particular project.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Water gets pumped in the front of the block, flows to the back, goes up through the head gasket into the head and flows to the front where it leaves the engine.

It could be a W18 with three banks of 6 and work the same way.
The difference is that it's 50% longer than a V8, so getting the coolant circulation right is that much harder than it is in an engine with two banks of 4.

Water and heat don't care where the metal was cast and work the same way in all engines.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Nissan LS240
On the first page it says this isn't their first v12 build, just the first that they are keeping, and one is in a plane (brave ****** who flies that, if its flown) so I'm sure it cools fine, unless they're all having cooling issues
Lol, 100% agree. Not knocking the OP, the work shown here is amazing. Just wouldn't want to find out what the problem areas might be at 10,000 ft.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99
A V-6 is more like "half" of this particular project.
To spell it out... in a V6 there are 3 cylinders between the waterpump and rear most coolant holes in the head gasket. The V12 and I6 both have 6 cylinders between the waterpump and the rearmost water holes.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:07 PM
Save the manuals!

To spell it out... in a V6 there are 3 cylinders between the waterpump and rear most coolant holes in the head gasket. The V12 and I6 both have 6 cylinders between the waterpump and the rearmost water holes.
Thanks, for spLing for me. I'm not sure you've made an assertion here, though.

I'm still struggling to find the relevance of BMW's cooling problems to the engine we are discussing here. Are you really trying to point out that differential cylinder temperatures are important? If so, I'd like to know more about why. (Instead of it's important because BMW is worried about it or BMW's design is so sensitive that they have to be extra-worried about it.)
Old 04-28-2015, 12:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would never use BMW engines to show how cooling should be done, LOL.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:39 AM
8 Second Truck Club

****, I just realized yall are talking about BMW the car maker. I thought yall where talking about Big Mexican Women.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:58 PM
Teching In

Default Ls1 v12

How do you get in touch with the Men in Seattle who build the V12 Ls engines?
Old 07-26-2015, 02:03 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Updates?

OP, you are required, from this point forward, to post a regular update no less than every 5 days.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

Thanks, for spLing for me. I'm not sure you've made an assertion here, though.

I'm still struggling to find the relevance of BMW's cooling problems to the engine we are discussing here. Are you really trying to point out that differential cylinder temperatures are important? If so, I'd like to know more about why. (Instead of it's important because BMW is worried about it or BMW's design is so sensitive that they have to be extra-worried about it.)
The metal temp of the cylinder head is a big factor in detonation. The cooler you keep the cylinders, the less likely they will be to detonate. When one cylinder runs hotter than the others, it limits the operating parameters of the whole engine. An engine can only run as hard as the hottest cylinders.

Also, the higher volume cooling system with the same volume water pump reduces the water velocity through the system. This increases the opportunity for water to boil locally and for the resulting bubble to stay stuck in the head. in a high velocity cooling system, the bubble forms, absorbs a lot of heat in the process, but is then taken away by the speed of the water before it can sit in the head and reduce heat transfer. Reduce the speed and the bubble is more likely to stay put when it forms, reduce heat transfer, increase chamber wall temp and provoke detonation.

8 cylinder LS engines running high boost ALREADY have problems with detonation in #'s 7 & 8 when run without a high capacity four point coolant bleed system. Those problems will only be worse on a 12 cylinder.

Originally Posted by enginjoe
I would never use BMW engines to show how cooling should be done, LOL.
... They have lots of good examples of how *NOT* to, though...

The M engines actually have very advanced cooling systems, though. They wouldn't be able to get 430+ RWHP out of a 3.0 with a warranty if they couldn't keep it appropriately cooled.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:49 AM
Save the manuals!

the higher volume cooling system with the same volume water pump reduces the water velocity through the system.
This kind of a moot point given that the system is governed by a thermostat.

8 cylinder LS engines running high boost ALREADY have problems with detonation in #'s 7 & 8 when run without a high capacity four point coolant bleed system. Those problems will only be worse on a 12 cylinder.
I'm going to get really worried about this when we start seeing this detonation problem pop up in at least 5% of the LS1 V-12's on the market.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

This kind of a moot point given that the system is governed by a thermostat.
It is in fact VERY relevant to LS's. LS engines have recirculating thermostats. The water pump's full flow volume is used all the time. The thermostat determines how much of that flow goes to the radiator vice back into the engine. Even when the thermostat is wide open, MUCH more water goes back into the block than goes into the radiator.

LS1's, Gen II LT1's, Caddy Northstars and basically every engine designed since the early '90's uses this method. BMW even modified their M30's to use such a setup... and that was a 1960's design that they built until '92ish.

What you implied about the thermostat slowing water circulation hasn't been true for any engine more recent than the Gen I Small Block.

I'm going to get really worried about this when we start seeing this detonation problem pop up in at least 5% of the LS1 V-12's on the market.
Is he going to recall the other 19?

Were you serious about someone putting one into a plane? I'd sure hate to pop 11 & 12 on a low altitude high speed pass...
Old 09-22-2015, 01:15 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Hello? Is any one there?
Old 09-28-2015, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

V12 LS1 Build-lb1.jpg
V12 LS1 Build-lb2.jpg
V12 LS1 Build-lb3.jpg

Longblock is officially done. Deciding what we're going to do with the fuel system and then we'll have a runner.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I love it!
Old 09-28-2015, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shwing!!!!

Quick Reply: V12 LS1 Build