Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

???VATS deleted car ran all last year now dies after 3 seconds???

Old 05-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ???VATS deleted car ran all last year now dies after 3 seconds???

Story goes like this..

Did my swap and ran it all last year, was running the stock ecm, kept the body control module and made a OHM plug for the key chip to be able to avoid deleting the VATS. Ran fine all year. Now I finished my turbo kit, sold my stock computer and ordered one from spare ECM with VATS deleted and a bunch of other stuff that I didnt need. I did this so I would only have to rewire once and try and save some time for myself. I didnt want to have to rewire again after the tuning for the turbo. So I get the wiring done, car starts right up and dies, standard sign of VATS. I call Spare ECM tell them whats going on, send in my ECM so they can fix it. They say it was tuned out and fine and charge me for both ways of shipping. Already angry about it, but still dont have an answear to why it is cuting off after 3 seconds.

any input, or other experiences with similar issues?

car is a 78 corvette, LS1 from 99 trans am, T-56.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Launching!

thinking about it now, it has been just a waist of time. Should have just rewired it and taken it for the tune.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Asking out ignorance: Does the system potentially have the safety feature where if it doesn't see oil pressure after X time, it shuts down?
Old 05-02-2013, 03:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How about the power sources to the PCM.. Battery hot and IGN Hot. I know other have had issue when connected to the wrong IGN connection. The key when switched between Start and Run would cut out. something to check.. making sure the IGN stays hot in both Start and Run positions.

Back to checking everything. Maybe have someone local check with EFILive or HPTuner to check the VATS.. also monitor the fuel pressure ?
Old 05-02-2013, 04:25 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the replies,

not sure about the oil pressure feature. Honestly havnt heard of that before.

as far as the ign connections I'm pretty sure I have it all right, I even did a bypass to make sure they were all getting power full time and it still did the same thing. I am about to head out there and recheck all my wiring. I kind of want to wait before I change anything if I do and plug in the ECM as soon as I get it back. If it fires right up and stays running then they fixed the VATS and didnt tell me. If it does the same thing, then its something on my end.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:07 AM
Launching!

got the ECM back put it in the car same exact thing happened. I started thinking about it and when he told me they put it in a car that still had the VATS enabled, that means the body control module was still in the car and thats what sends the signal to the ecm. Of course it would still run because its getting the signal sent to it.

Does anyone live in the Detroit/Royal Oak area that would be willing to let me put the ECM in their car to test it??
Old 05-05-2013, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you best bet would be to have someone check it with ether EFILive or HPTuner.. I have read of other having issue where they were told and thought that the VATS was disabled in the ECM.. but it was not or something else was needed.

You might try another mail order tuner !?.. I had used Wait4meperformance before.. cost was not bad.. ($85) but I am sure someone local might be your best bet.

BC
Old 05-05-2013, 07:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bczee
I think you best bet would be to have someone check it with ether EFILive or HPTuner.. I have read of other having issue where they were told and thought that the VATS was disabled in the ECM.. but it was not or something else was needed.

You might try another mail order tuner !?.. I had used Wait4meperformance before.. cost was not bad.. ($85) but I am sure someone local might be your best bet.

BC
The whole idea was really just to have it running and make sure everything was checking out before I took it to the dyno tune for the turbo kit I just fabricated. I had sold my factory ECM and purchased this one to basically achieve what I was looking for without spending money out of pocket. Turns out that hasnt been the case now, and I dont feel like spending any more money when I'm going to be tuning at the end of the month. Worst case scenario I wait till the dyno tune and take care of it then and make them refund my money when I figure out what the issue is.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ???VATS deleted car ran all last year now dies after 3 seconds???