Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 vs SRT-10 vs something else ? Drifting

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 04:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 vs SRT-10 vs something else ? Drifting

Drifting; Carbonfiber build Volvo 940 with a turbocharged 2.5L straight5.. Engine soon to be dead, so I was thinking an LS1 or LS6... but "everyone" uses LS over here (Norway) :o Want something else, so what about the 8.3L from SRT-10 Ram/Viper? Or something else? Something fun to do with LS? Something havnt been done to often? I do prefer GM, but are open for suggestions!
Old 05-04-2013, 02:47 PM
Teching In

The v10 would be really cool, I believe theres a guy names David Waterworth in the british drift series running one in a s-chassis, but I think the lsx is more within peoples budgets, hence why its in everything.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a reason why everyone is using LS motors. Cost. If money is not a concern I'd do the v10 in a heartbeat. It would be really cool to have something different. You just cannot beat the LS motors for size, power, fuel economy and price point.

I'm going to be relatively close to Norway by September. I'd love to find some nice race tracks in western Europe. I'm moving to the Netherlands.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:44 PM
Launching!

fyi, the Viper motors are HUGE in comparison to the LSx.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:23 PM
11 Second Club

The V10 engine dimensions are not practical. "Something different" with regards to motorsports generally means a ton time and money for development. LS1 or LS6 might not be enough. If you guys are experiencing a horsepower war like the cars in FD, you will want forced induction or a bigger cube engine. I am building 2 drift cars and both will have LS3 engines.

Since you currently drive a turbo car, how about a turbo LS?
Old 05-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Watching David Waterworth on youtube just made me want to use the SRT10 even more :-D That is a beautiful sound!!
The price-difference between LS1 and SRT10 ain't that big... LS1 is 3-6K and SRT10 is 5-10K. The SRT10 got more power than LS1, but making the LS1 a 500hp engine costs a couple of largeones I suppose?
Just sitting here I can proberbly count 20 cars over here using LSx with and without one or two turbos and superchargers..
Watching mr Waterworth's enginebay, it seem the space is not that big a problem... Still, if the engine is to big, we'll make room Fitting a V-engine in an enginebay made for a inline4syl, we will run in to poblems anyway

Exidous: Germany! And the legendary Nurburgring :-D Without a doubt worth a visit :-D
"Up here" Norway got Rudskogen and Våler in the south, and Artic Raceway in the north (not at all compareable to anything yol'll find in middle and south Europe). NAF ("Norges Automobil Forbund" - Norways Automotive Union) got several smaller tracks around the country beeing used for drifting training and competition. Sweden got several bigger tracks, Mantorp I suppose is the best
Contact NAF.no by mail, they'll help you find whatever you want around Europe as long it got something to do with engines
Old 05-07-2013, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ease of tuning is why most people go with the LS engines over others. My cousin has a 426 stroker SRT8 jeep with a cam, ported heads and intake and while impressive it's nowhere near where a stroked LS3 would be with the same mods and forget about an LS7.

Quick Reply: LS1 vs SRT-10 vs something else ? Drifting