Sponsored by:

Land rover defender - ls3 engine, manual trans & transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 12:02 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Land rover defender - ls3 engine, manual trans & transfer case

Hello!

After some searching on google I've found this forum as it seems to basically be an LS bible!

I own a 1988 Defender 90 which has had various Rover V8 engines over the years. I've decided I want to go for more power and an LS 2/3 seems like the best option. My plan is to get 400+hp through a manual transmission. I don't really want to use any of the original Land Rover transmission etc.. SO need some help on options for a manual gearbox and a different transfer case. Hopefully looking to get something that will all bolt straight onto each other and then just have some custom prop shafts made up (one day will be changing the LR axles to something more capable of handling the power)

What do folks recommend? I'm lucky enough to have a full workshop and will be doing 95% of the work myself (wiring is the only thing a friend will be helping me out with)

Thanks in advance!

Bob (Based in Yorkshire, England)
Old 05-05-2013, 02:53 PM
Launching!

I am doing a LSx swap in a P38 Rangey, so feel your pain!
The axles are both offset on the Defender too IIRC?
If so, thats your issue with the transfer case, finding another one that has offset rear output. I ended up using the ZF tranny with a home made adapter, thus keeping the transfer case too.
An adapter can be made for the LR case of course, but using a complete drive train is always a lot easier.
I pondered about a carrier bearing to hold the rear driveshaft offset slightly on the P38, but the fuel tank is in the way.

Martin
Old 05-06-2013, 01:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an early Rangie with a Lexus V* and I use a Nissan Patrol 4.2litre manual trans and the Nissan axles.

All you need is an adaptor for the engine/trans (easy to make yourself) then the front diff is offset the right way and the rear diff is centred.

Best to do it all together otherwise you'll be stuck with the offset rear end.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the comments so far!

I do give the truck some serious abuse so everything MUST be able to take the power etc... will a standard LR transfer box/case take 400+ bhp? I figure like most standard LR stuff, it usually sucks so wanted to go all american to make sure it'll take a beating!
Axle swapping isn't a problem, maybe I might even get the bonus of electronic built in diff lockers as standard with some yank stuff?

Any comments are welcome. I'm doing the Mongol rally in a couple of months so would like to get everything purchased before I leave for when I get back.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:04 AM
Launching!

LS3/T56 is the first thing that comes to mind for a build like this.
Check into the H2 or H3 alpha transfer cases (electrical); H1 (mechanical) was bolted to a 4L80E. They might mount up to the T56. Otherwise, start looking in the Jeep forums for what people are able to use. There are plenty of LSx powered trucks.

Good luck with the build. I love D90's, so this will be very interesting IMO.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:56 AM
Teching In

The LT230 Rover transfer is extremely tough, unlike their axles and gearboxes.

My wife and I have been eyeing the Mongol Rally off as a bit of fun.

We did a few charity events in the early 90's and cleaned up the Natioanl Division of the Australian Safari in 1994 in our RR DAKAR, then retired due to kids.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:31 AM
On The Tree

T56 has horrible ratios for a 4WD application. To my knowledge, nobody has put a transfer case behind one.

If you absolutely must have a manual transmission, the NV4500 is the only choice. I guess you could try the NP241 that comes behind it if the length isn't a problem, or if it is, you could adapt an NP205 fairly easily but they're low range sucks (1.9:1). I don't know anything about the LR case, but I've seen a few Australian builds that use them behind LSX engines.

Of course there is always the option of the Atlas II.

I am building an Ultra4 style car for competing in the Northeast U.S.A. which has similar terrain. I am using a 6.0/6L80/Atlas 3.8.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NV4500 with a NP 205 with the dual rear outputs.You can run an offset rear axle if you have enough length and a double cardan joint to relieve some of the angle on the u joints.Another more expensive option is cutting down 3/4T or 1T axles to fit your set up.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:16 AM
Teching In

Default Back from the 2013 Mongol Rally & ready to crack on with the build!

Hello folks.

I made it back from Mongolia in once piece. We covered over 10,500 miles in 7 weeks. My god it was fun, hard, but fun!

Anyway, time to get things sorted with the build. I am very tempted by an LS7 at present as it seems like I'll only do this conversion once so might as well go with an LS7.

Where would people recommend buying an LS7 with a manual box in the UK then?

Thanks in advance and hope everyone is well!

Bob
The following users liked this post:
DualQuadDave (03-22-2024)

Quick Reply: Land rover defender - ls3 engine, manual trans & transfer case