Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator styles used

Old 05-09-2013, 04:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator styles used

hey guys i got a 05 carbed 5.3 that i am dropping into a 89 fox and i am looking for some ideas on mounting and style alternators everyone is using. i am not going to be running power steering so i have some options i would think but i dont want to do alot of pulley changing to get things to align up with my stock set up but if i have to then i guess i will spend the extra coin to make it right. anyways thanks for yall input
Old 05-09-2013, 04:51 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

easiest way is to get ls1 front setup. if you have access to metal, make a plate to use the truck style or your mustang alternator.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bigchief52780
easiest way is to get ls1 front setup. if you have access to metal, make a plate to use the truck style or your mustang alternator.
I guess i am just trying to figure out the best way to mount it. If i go with the factory alternator my next question is does the engine or chassis harness hook up to the alternator. My car was already striped down, but i have all the harnesses laying in the trunk.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

If using the gm altenator it will hook up to the engine harness. i used a 3g altenator and made spacers and a bracket to mount it in the stock gm location on a truck bracket assembly. If staying with the fox you will use the fox harness.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 87lsttop
If using the gm altenator it will hook up to the engine harness. i used a 3g altenator and made spacers and a bracket to mount it in the stock gm location on a truck bracket assembly. If staying with the fox you will use the fox harness.
i am running a carbed set up so none of the gm engine harness is going to be used. so if i go with the ford alternator does it connect to the factory chassis or motor harness? do you have any pics of your set up that you could post up?
Old 05-10-2013, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

The Altenator wires for the Ford come off the headlight harness I believe. They go straight to the Ford starter solenoid or power lug for your body harness
Old 05-10-2013, 07:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mounted a denso alt off a celica off the side of the head. I'm carb'd also so no harness to speak of. Ran the sense wire to the charge light in the dash, a voltage sense wire to the fuse box and an exciter wire to a switched line.

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 05-10-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:25 AM
On The Tree

Here are a few pics of my setup with the bracket I made. I have a 2gauge wire with inline fuse going from the alt my power lug on the drivers fenderwell. It normally went to the ford starter solenoid but I scrapped it.
Attached Thumbnails Alternator styles used-20130422_184227.jpg   Alternator styles used-20130510_192849.jpg  
Old 05-13-2013, 09:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is a pic of what I came up with for my carb'd 5.3 swap into my 73 Nova. I am not running power steering either and wanted a simply clean FEAD. It is a truck alt, in an F-body bracket mounted to the head with via the triangular bracket I designed. My belt routing is very close to PopNWood's, but my alt is just higher. Let me know if you are interested I had my machinist buddy make an extra bracket so I have a spare in aluminum.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:27 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice Bracket!

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 05-13-2013, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

yea thats a very clean design. Good job on that
Old 05-13-2013, 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

thanks guys for the posts this is a major help in me deciding on which way i should go. i am really liking the fbody mount up high looks very clean. i might have to hit you up on the bracket!
Old 05-13-2013, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by psiconversion
Nice Bracket!

Jon
PSI
Thanks Jon, means a lot coming from you.

Originally Posted by 87lsttop
yea thats a very clean design. Good job on that
Thank you as well 87'.

I try to employee the KISS principle. Keep It Simple Stupid!

The only problem I have run into with it to this point is that the alt was not grounded to the block through the painted alt body, painted F-body bracket and my painted bracket! so I had to go in and use a gasket scrapper and sandpaper to create a ground path to the alt body. Now 14.5V for everyone!
Old 05-13-2013, 04:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Keep in mind vette vs. F body vs. truck belt spacing. The truck accessories put the belt a full inch and a half farther from the block than the vette stuff. I'm guessing cruisin73's nice set up has truck accessories so his adapter bracket is probably 3/4 inch thick to move the F body bracket out the correct amount. If you had vette accessories you would need to get rid of the adapter bracket and machine 3/4 inch off the F body bracket. So wouldn't work for that.

I do wonder about flexing with only two bolts directly above and below each other holding the F body bracket in place. Only reason I say that is I had a belt that was a tad too short with my original bracket. The the excess belt tension ended up cracking the bracket. My first impression is it would be nice to triangulate the alternator bolts in some way, but if it has been running awhile then I guess it is good to go.

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 05-14-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Keep in mind vette vs. F body vs. truck belt spacing. The truck accessories put the belt a full inch and a half farther from the block than the vette stuff. I'm guessing cruisin73's nice set up has truck accessories so his adapter bracket is probably 3/4 inch thick to move the F body bracket out the correct amount. If you had vette accessories you would need to get rid of the adapter bracket and machine 3/4 inch off the F body bracket. So wouldn't work for that.

I do wonder about flexing with only two bolts directly above and below each other holding the F body bracket in place. Only reason I say that is I had a belt that was a tad to short with my original bracket and the excess belt tension ended up cracking that bracket. My first impression is it would be nice to triangulate the alternator bolts in some way, but if it has been running awhile then I guess it is good to go.
You are correct, I am using truck accessories and spacing, hence the bracket is 3/4" thick to align the F-body bracket.

I have the same concern for the design, that flexing in the bracket may over time lead to belt misalignment and possible fatigue failure. So far I only have about 1hr of run time on this setup. hardly long-term proven. I am considering adding a strut with spherical rod ends, and reverse thread center rod to add a triagulation to the bracket. Time will tell if this is neccesary.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

well if it means much i actually looked at my buddys sbc s10 last night and his alternator set up is a 2 bolt set up and look super cheesy and has held up for years of abuse. yours looks a thousand times better so i am pretty confident yours should do good if its torqed down good. adding a little extra support never hurts though just for that piece of mind.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with a GM alternator, connected the chassis harness on my car. If you do this, you'll need to put a resistor in one of the connectors. See the pic below.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alternator styles used