Sponsored by:

New to V8's and need help with connections on a 5.3L L33

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 07:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Question New to V8's and need help with connections on a 5.3L L33

Hi,

Just to put you in the picture I am in the early stages of building a Kit Car and am utilising the L33 engine.

The engine comes for the most part complete only minus the wiring loom and obviously any other connections like water pipes etc.

As im not only new to V8 engines (im not new to engines and have built a number of 4 pot engines) but also new to the L33 I hope that anybody who has an L33 might be able to help me identify all the various connections preferably with the aid of images of the L33.

I also have some other questions relating to the engine that I also hope someone can help with.

I'll detail these below in the next post.

Thanks in advance to anybody who can help.

Last edited by TableLeg; 05-27-2013 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Typing error
Old 05-27-2013, 07:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

The further questions,

1, Can the PCV system be modified so as to utilise a catch tank?

2, I have seen the various intake change posts and hope to change my intake to an LS6 one at some point, given that the only other change I plan to make is a cam change what size TB would you recommend using?

3, With the proposed mods I am hopeful of the engine producing torque in the upper 300's. With this in mind are there any alternatives (manual) to using a T56 or even a TKO 500 or 600? Over here in the UK the T56 and the TKO 600's cost an arm and a leg!
Any other alternatives? From what I read the T5 is only rated up to 300lb's/ft.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by TableLeg; 05-27-2013 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Typing error
Old 05-27-2013, 02:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TableLeg
The further questions,

2, I have seen the various intake change posts and hope to change my intake to an LS6 one at some point, given that the only other change I plan to make is a cam change what size TB would you recommend using?

3, With the proposed mods I am hopeful of the engine producing torque in the upper 300's. With this in mind are there any alternatives (manual) to using a T56 or even a TKO 500 or 600? Over here in the UK the T56 and the TKO 600's cost an arm and a leg!

Thanks in advance

The PCV system can easily be modified to accept a catch can. Search "LS1 catch can" in google images and you'll see tons of examples.

A stock or ported stock throttle body will work fine for an LS6 intake.

You can build a T5 to handle more than 300ft/lbs. What are you planning on doing with the car after completion? If you don't plan on running a sticky tire, a built T5 would be the easiest/cheapest route.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

The further questions,

Thanks in advance

I would not bother swapping intake to LS6, unless you need bonnet clearance. You will not see a performance gain, only a couple hp at best . As for the T5, its what Im going to run in project but its a stock 4.8. If going T5 upgrade Astro A5 gears or G force is the way to go. Only advantage a built T5 has over T56 is its lightweight only 75 lbs dry.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks omc8 for the reply

From what I have been reading it seems the general consensus is that whilst the truck intake flows as good as the LS6 it is geared more towards low down torque and runs of of good flow at around 5000rpm where the LS6 intake keeps flowing well to 6500rpm.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

One more detail....the truck accessory brackets will not work with the LS6 intake. It's a bit more involved than just swapping intakes. There is plenty of write-ups on the swap. Here is one detailed write-up.

http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/front...take-swap.html
Old 05-30-2013, 03:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Bilster for the reply and the link
Old 05-30-2013, 04:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bilster,

Do you think if I were to retain the truck inlet it would be worth getting it ported along with the TB?

I do plan to do a cam swap as well in the not to distance future hence why I was contemplating the intake change.

Also do you happen to know why the injectors have to be changed as well? What is the difference between the L33 injectors and those on the Ls1/Ls6?

Last edited by TableLeg; 05-30-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

What horsepower/torque are you hoping for? What is the weight of your kit car? The stock truck intake is not bad. I would skip the LS6 and go straight to a FAST LSXRT truck intake if you need more air flow. The cost will be only a few hundred more than the LS6 swap with a lot more benefit....and you can reuse your fuel rail, accessories and most, if not all of your truck sensors.

Here is a nice article on building up a 5.3 utilizing the stock intake and heads. Is this enough HP/torque for you or were you looking for more?

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...k/viewall.html
Old 06-10-2013, 02:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bilster
What horsepower/torque are you hoping for? What is the weight of your kit car?
I want to get to 400Bhp with around the same in torque. Car weighs about 750kg.

The stock truck intake is not bad. I would skip the LS6 and go straight to a FAST LSXRT truck intake if you need more air flow. The cost will be only a few hundred more than the LS6 swap with a lot more benefit....and you can reuse your fuel rail, accessories and most, if not all of your truck sensors.
I got my engine but minus the intake system complete. I need to use a car intake due to bonnet clearance issues. So I'm on the look out for a car intake. I've been trying to research the different intakes both standard and ported and as far as i can see the best option would be for me to pickup a used LS6 complete intake with injectors/fuel rails. The fast intake alone whilst nice would cost me twice that of a used LS6 complete intake.

Thanks for the reply and the link.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's a picture of the truck accessories with the LS6 intake. You have to cut a small section off the alternator mount so it will clear the throttle body and use a water pump for an 07 and newer truck. I removed the idler I had on the lower right before even installing the motor. It wasn't needed.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

LS1MCSS,

Many thanks for the reply and especially the photograph

I am not going to be using the PS pump and plan to move the alternator down to where the PS pump would have been.

In that photo at the top left where you have 2x pulleys. One looks like it is an idler and the other looks like a tensioner. Im not sure what the component is on the top left (dry sump pump?) but can you please tell me where the tensioner is bolted to? and what tensioner it is?

I plan to do something like this.
Attached Thumbnails New to V8's and need help with connections on a 5.3L L33-393504282.jpg  
Old 06-11-2013, 02:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

What a/c bracket and company is that? Vintage Air?

I'm trying to run something like that on my '69 Chevelle project.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:06 AM
TECH Junkie

LS1MCSS,

Many thanks for the reply and especially the photograph

I am not going to be using the PS pump and plan to move the alternator down to where the PS pump would have been.

In that photo at the top left where you have 2x pulleys. One looks like it is an idler and the other looks like a tensioner. Im not sure what the component is on the top left (dry sump pump?) but can you please tell me where the tensioner is bolted to? and what tensioner it is?

I plan to do something like this.
You would be better off with all f-body accessories. The power steering pump is mounted low, like you want it.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by gnx7
What a/c bracket and company is that? Vintage Air?

I'm trying to run something like that on my '69 Chevelle project.
http://www.kwikperf.com/lsx_ac.html
Old 06-11-2013, 10:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
You would be better off with all f-body accessories. The power steering pump is mounted low, like you want it.
Thanks again for the reply.

I figure that given that I have the crank pulley and the alternator has a pulley plus the water pump has a pulley all I'd need was a belt tensioner.

Quick Reply: New to V8's and need help with connections on a 5.3L L33