Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IS300 LS1/T56 Daily Driver Build

Old 06-15-2013, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the first thing I did on the car today had nothing to do with the swap, oh well. I ordered a Chrysler antenna the other day to replace mine which was worn out.

You can see a bit of the donor car in the background in this one.

While the motor was out for piece of mind I replaced the rear main seal. I pulled the clutch and flywheel, which are Monster but have seen much better days.

I'll be looking into a new flywheel and clutch this week.

This also gave me a chance to confirm the cam.

Did the front main and timing cover for good measure while I was at it.

I didn't get any pictures of it but I pulled the intake as well to clean up the top of the motor and I think I'm going to paint the intake while I have it out. My goal is to get the motor out of the Lexus and set the LS in next weekend. Hopefully I will have my motor mounts and headers by then...
Old 06-15-2013, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

where'd you get the gto windage tray
Old 06-15-2013, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by curbcheck
I found the pan, baffle, windage tray, and dip stick as a set on ebay. I did find the part number for it at one point. I'll dig it up and post the GM part number.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

looking good man, that clutch looks rough but it was holding good.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by madmike9396
looking good man, that clutch looks rough but it was holding good.
It did seem to bite well but since this is going in a lighter daily driven car I think I'm going to look at a slightly heavier flywheel (still less than stock) and a less aggressive clutch.

Last edited by eng1nerd; 06-16-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:21 AM
TECH Junkie

yea, you will probably still need a good semi aggressive clutch because that motor is pushing some good power. coming along good man keep this thread up to date
Old 06-16-2013, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by curbcheck
I found this a couple weeks ago when I was looking at buying everything new, as far as I know these numbers are correct.

Oil Pan (pan, non magnetic plug, gasket and bolts) GM# 12581209
Oil Pan Gasket GM# 12558760
Magnetic Oil Pan plug GM# 23011420
GTO (Holden) Oil Pump Pickup GM# 12572654
GTO (Holden) Windage Tray GM# 12558189
GTO (Holden) Dipstick GM# 12562468
GTO (Holden) Dipstick Tube GM# 12561544
Old 06-19-2013, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

My headers came in today and I must say they look awesome!

Here you can see the clearance for the steer column.

I laid out roughly what I have in mind for the exhaust system:

Headers > Cats > Flex Hose > Y-pipe >(maybe a resonator, not shown) > Cutout > Factory Lexus Muffler (also not shown)

While I was in the garage I took care of that ugly, dirty grey color on the intake. Since I will be running a set of red Corvette covers I figure this should go well flat black.
Before:

After:

I also heard from Dedicated Matt today and my motor mounts were getting welded up so it is game on for this weekend. My wife is out of town and the garage is all mine, the motor is coming out of the Lexus, bay is getting cleaned and I will probably get started on chasing wires.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

really looking forward to the updates. More so the wiring to the stock ecu for the gauges and how you do the ac. Keep up the good work.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Looking good man keep it up !!!!!!
Old 06-22-2013, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

Today was when the real fun began. After stopping by the Lexus dealership and giving them way to much money to have a spare key made (don't know if it can be programmed after the swap) I backed the car in the garage for it's last night with the 2J. All the fluids got drained, radiator, and core support came out to make room for the motor and trans on the way out.

At this point it was time to come out of the garage and get a bath.

And just for fun this was the pre-clean-up carnage in my driveway/garage.

I also ordered a few more parts when I came in for the night. Walbro fuel pump, K&N filter, and battery relocation kit are on order. I'm going to Clutch Specialties this week to drop off my clutch and flywheel to have a custom set made. I should be spending most of tomorrow sifting through two wiring harnesses and maybe moving my ABS module.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:19 PM
Launching!

Looking great
Old 06-22-2013, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

only thing I have to add for the moment is DOWNSIZE THOSE PICTURES MAN!!! dadgummm I am dizzy from flopping back and forth on my laptop!!!!
Old 06-22-2013, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BigEd_72455
only thing I have to add for the moment is DOWNSIZE THOSE PICTURES MAN!!! dadgummm I am dizzy from flopping back and forth on my laptop!!!!
Sorry about that. Most of them are alright on my computer but I'm looking at a 23" monitor. I'll post smaller pics from now on and when I get a chance go back and fix what is there.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

With any luck tomorrow this will be the last time my teaser pics are just parts. I got my battery relocation kit, Walbro 255 fuel pump, and most importantly my motor and trans mounts in the mail yesterday.

I also got my oil pan back from being welded today. It took longer than I hoped but is just in time for the weekend.

The goal for tomorrow is, after picking up my clutch from being rebuilt, install the flywheel and clutch, motor mounts, mate the trans and motor, then set it in the car. I'm sure it will need to come back out at least once for wiring and other odds and ends but I want to see it resting in its new home.

I'll be sure to take pics tomorrow as I go.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

I have NO idea why random pictures are showing up HUGE. The same link, same host on other forums work just fine.

If anyone knows why I'd be happy to fix the issue.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just curious, but did you ever think of doing a turbo conversion of the 2JZ that was in there? I know it isn't cheap, but damn it would've been a lot easier.

What sort of #'s is that LS1 going to put out, about 400-450rwhp? You could easily do that with a turbo swap on the 2JZ.

Although I will admit the V8 is going to have a much nicer power curve and sound better.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AronZ28
I'm just curious, but did you ever think of doing a turbo conversion of the 2JZ that was in there? I know it isn't cheap, but damn it would've been a lot easier.

What sort of #'s is that LS1 going to put out, about 400-450rwhp? You could easily do that with a turbo swap on the 2JZ.

Although I will admit the V8 is going to have a much nicer power curve and sound better.
There are several reasons I didn't wan't to go turbo. First of all I really wanted something different. I know there are other LSX swaps in these cars but they are few and far between. I am also building this to be a daily driver, I can't think of anything more reliable that a toyota with a chevy drive train.

With the parts that are on the motor already I should be around the 425-450 HP range AND still get low 20's MPG. Boost is awesome and I love driving boosted cars but I know I'd want to turn the boost up all the time.

The sound of muscle car growl coming form a Lexus was a huge selling point too.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:47 PM
11 Second Club

I would like to chime in on why to ditch the 2J. The engine in the IS needs to be torn down and rebuilt with GTE bottom end parts to handle enough boost to make it worth it. The second problem is the trans. The manual trans that come in the few cars blessed with a third pedal is garbage. A built R154 is the cheapest option.

After all of this you have the foundation to build boost but don't expect to just slap on a turbo. The Toyota electronics do not play well with others like a Chevy PCM. There are several computer solutions but none of them are cheap.

Cliffs Notes: Chevy swap is cheaper and easier to make power.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Looking good , nice job on the oil pan . Which walbro pump did you get the GS 340 and are you going to run a corvette regular ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IS300 LS1/T56 Daily Driver Build