Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IS300 LS1/T56 Daily Driver Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's getting so close! I discovered the other day that I didn't have two of my switched ignitions wired right (they were constant) so I re-did both of those. The guy came by to tune out VATS and discovered that there is apparently something wrong with my wiring to the OBD2 port since he wasn't able to connect to it. He did have some pointers on the way I had a few things grounded, so we fixed those and it turned over and started to fire...then VATS took over. I have some trouble shooting to do in order to connect to the OBD2 port.

In other news the last few fittings came in for my power steering lines so that should get finished up tomorrow. Throttle cable also arrived today so that is hooked up and the pedal is back in the car.

Once we get connected and rid of VATS I'll have camera rolling for a first start up.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

I still haven't finished up the power steering but I did get the shifter in tonight. As well as figured out the issues I was having with the OBD2 port. I can now connect with the scanner so whenever I can get the guy to stop by again I can finally be done with VATS for good and start the car up for the first time.

Here are some pics of the shifter installed and the adapter I used to offset it back.

Eventually I will do something different for a shift ****, for now I'll rock the Firebird.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

I got to work on the car for a few hours this morning, we are headed to a wedding this afternoon so this will be all for today. It took me long enough but I have finally figured out how to assemble these hoses pretty consistently.

This finishes off the power steering system. Here is where it meets the rack.

It's tight but everything fits. And here it's spliced into the GM line off the pump.

The belt is back on, and I started installing the intake when I realized I had to grind a little to plug in the Lexus MAF. I thew a coat of paint on it where I had to grind and will install it for good tomorrow. This is what it will look like in the end.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

So I got to look at my OBDII wiring again today, this makes the third time. When I thought I had it yesterday it turned out I was picking up the 2JZ not the LS1. For some reason the wire I have pulled into the car isn't happy. I ended up soldering in the connector from the Trans Am at the ECU and can now connect...Finally!

I got all the hoses tucked away today. The last couple grounds landed. Battery mounted in the trunk. Trimmed the vette covers to fit my dipstick and larger intake. And got my intake piping installed. Here are some pics.

If it starts this week, the next step is off to the shop for exhaust and start driving it. I'll still have to make up the diff bushings and work on A/C though.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

Awesome man !
Old 08-05-2013, 07:01 PM
Launching!

Looking real good man... keep up the good work
Old 08-07-2013, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

Big milestone. Got all the sensors, issues, etc fixed with the tune last night and discovered I had a wrong wire on the fuel pump and wasn't getting any fuel pressure. I spend several hours and a bunch of trial and error (solder joints) later got the wires right. I committed to the shop that it would get dropped off tomorrow after work for the exhaust to be built...so it had to run tonight.

Here is what everyone has been waiting for, the first start up video. Open headers backed into the garage are loud and don't come up well on a cell phone video, but oh well, she runs!!

Old 08-07-2013, 11:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Very nice!!!
Congrats
Old 08-08-2013, 07:43 AM
TECH Resident

Are you planning to keep the AC? I love this build.. Looks great..
Old 08-08-2013, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ig109
Are you planning to keep the AC? I love this build.. Looks great..
Not only will I be retaining A/C, the plan right now is to have the Lexus ECU control it to keep the auto climate features working.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:52 AM
TECH Resident

Definately keep the details of that coming.. Since you are keeping the Lexus ECU I also assume all the factory gauges work properly as well?

This type of build is what I was going to try and achieve with a friend's LS2/T56 combo.. We put it all in an old monte carlo but that car is far too rough (read rusty and missing parts) to be made into something to drive much.. He wants to do an IS300 next and since you are planning to do what he wants I will be watching this very closely
Old 08-08-2013, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

I won't know for sure that everything works until I get to drive the car a bit once the exhaust is on. I have everything wired up for all the gauges to work. The only "idiot" light I had on when I started it up was the oil light and I think I am probably just going to pull that bulb out of the cluster. I'm happy to share the wiring info I have and the way I installed mine. I just don't want to give that out until I can really test it. Wouldn't want to give anyone bad information.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

Your a god.. Im sure it will work great.. I went at my own harness (starting with nasty truck harness) and things have tested good thus far and I am just some hillbilly in Indiana..
Old 08-08-2013, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

Just got back from dropping it off at the exhaust shop. If everything goes well tomorrow I should be driving it home after work.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by eng1nerd
Just got back from dropping it off at the exhaust shop. If everything goes well tomorrow I should be driving it home after work.
Dude, you are an inspiration!
Old 08-08-2013, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vazfx16
Dude, you are an inspiration!
I'm glad I can be. It sounds like you are pretty close too. Keep at it and you'll be there soon. I want video of yours too when it starts.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

I just DROVE the car home from the exhaust shop and while it was awesome I have a few bugs to work out. My steering wheel is sideways (from pulling the knuckle to install the headers). I have an oil light, flashing seatbelt light, flashing ABS light, flashing Trac Off light, and flashing low fuel light. The biggest issue on the dash is that I have no Speedo and I have no idea why since I was under the impression that was driven by the rear end not the trans. I also REALLY need to replace the diff bushings.

Otherwise it was awesome.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:20 PM
TECH Regular

Are those all the issue? WOW! that ain't jack...great job Man!
Old 08-09-2013, 06:21 PM
TECH Regular

(as I sit with my hands under my chin like a child) Please tell us a story about the torque and exhaust sounds
Old 08-09-2013, 07:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

get vids up asap !!!!!

Quick Reply: IS300 LS1/T56 Daily Driver Build